B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: In The Beginning
A -- Excellent 32 71.11%
B -- Good 9 20.00%
C -- Average 2 4.44%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 2 4.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 16th 07, 02:38   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: In The Beginning

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for In The Beginning
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for In The Beginning

We now move onto the telemovies.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th 07, 02:46   #2
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: EpDis: In The Beginning

My favorite of all of the movies.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th 07, 02:52   #3
hypatia
First One

Same here, my favorite by far. It's hard to imagine the B5 universe without it.
Old March 16th 07, 04:24   #4
vacantlook

"But in the end, they ran out of time...." -- Londo

Londo's monologue (particularly that final line) and the President's plea are considerably chilling and emotional.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th 07, 08:49   #5
RMcD
First One

Found it disappointing. Not in all respects, but in many. Watched the awesome trailer that came on some of the VHS releases in the leadup to it's release endlessly, got my expectations up really high, got my copy signed by Jerry Doyle and Mira Furlan ( ) then watched it for the first time and couldn't help feeling that it didn't mesh as well as I'd expected. The moments are there, especially when it comes to the awesomeness at the end and the music, but the pacing is odd from a storytelling perspective (key characters appearing and disappearing seemingly at random), the structure is odd (sometimes, as in the Franklin's notes scene, it feels like a direct transliteration of everything the characters said about the period during the series, at others, as with the Franklin / Sheridan / G'Kar plotline, it feels like filler based on some very unlikely conincidences that were never hinted at before). It has several grammatical stumbles in the dialogue, suggesting parts of it might have been filmed in a rush.

It's not a good introduction to B5. It spoils too much of the mystery of the Shadows, the Rangers, Sinclair's capture and Delenn's transformation. The subject matter leaves little room for B5's fun sense of humour and irreverance. I usually save this until after season 4, where I think it belongs.

Things I do like: The first contact scene is awesome, very movie-like. The Battle of the Line is awesome. Dukhat is awesome. The soundtrack is awesome. Londo is awesome as narrator. The effects are great, even where they don't always mesh. Mira Furlan is great. There are some really memorable lines.

I don't think prequels are a generally a good idea. This is okay, but I marginally prefer Thirdspace and A Call to Arms.

Last edited by RMcD; March 16th 07 at 08:55.
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th 07, 10:18   #6
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

It had more of Kosh in it. Therefore I was pleased.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th 07, 14:02   #7
RW7427

ItB was also my favorite of the movies. Excellent stuff!
Old March 16th 07, 14:24   #8
Boxie
Telepath

Send a message via MSN to Boxie Send a message via Yahoo to Boxie

I really liked In the Beginning. I thought Peter's performance was just excellent, his words so haunting as he moved in and out of darkness. I also liked it that we got to see the battle. The floating blood was cool! Of course, not all of it "floated"... I think we had one "drip", but it was still cool. I gave it an "A"!
Old March 16th 07, 16:26   #9
Recoil
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcD View Post
The subject matter leaves little room for B5's fun sense of humour and irreverance.
Wait a sec. B5 has a fun sense of humor?

I've always thought humor is the one area that B5 never got right, and always failed to deliver. Some of the weakest and cheesiest moments in all of B5 are where they are trying to be funny...and it comes across as forced and always feels out of place. The humor in B5 in no way compares to other shows that really did a good job mixing it in (Joss Whedon's shows come to mind).

And truthfully, I don't think they really should have tried. Im OK with B5 not having a high, or even good, humor content. I think it should have been more of a serious drama and they should have left all attempts at humor out. BSG is just fine without trying to pull off campy humor here and there.

Boy, that wasn't totally on topic was it?

Although I do agree with your comments about how ItB felt very odd in its timing and delivery. I like it the best out of all the movies, and think its a great piece of the series, and one of its better moments/stories. However, I remember rewatching it with a friend and thinking "Man...there is a LOT of dialogue in this...its kind of...boring." It tells a great story, but I can see where many people might be turned off by its odd pacing.
Old March 16th 07, 17:26   #10
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Wait a sec. B5 has a fun sense of humor?

I've always thought humor is the one area that B5 never got right, and always failed to deliver. Some of the weakest and cheesiest moments in all of B5 are where they are trying to be funny...and it comes across as forced and always feels out of place.
I agree with the last sentence that some of their worst moments were times when they tried too hard to be funny.

However, I also always found plenty of humor in the show that just flowed from the characters (some more than others).

So while one thing about which Cartagia was absolutely correct was the observation that "Humor is so subjective.", and not everyone is going to find the same things funny, I always found B5 to have a decent sense of humor.

Zathrus was funny. Other characters' reactions to Zathrus were often funny. Londo was often funny. Ivanova in snide, sarcastic comment mode could be funny. While Ivanova in uncomfortable squirming mode could cross over into the "trying too hard" column, there were times when it felt natural for the character and worked for me (such as when Vir asks her for advice because he has never gotten beyond 2). Marcus could be funny (although, for some reason this was usually when he was teamed with either Stephen or Susan). Heck, even Cartagia could be funny .... in a dark and twisted way to be sure, but it sometimes made me laugh.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote