B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Objects At Rest
A -- Excellent 13 68.42%
B -- Good 6 31.58%
C -- Average 0 0%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 28th 07, 10:21   #11
raw_bean
Commander

Re: EpDis: Objects At Rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post
KoshF and KoshN, why would they let him have it on Centauri Prime, but not let him take it with him? Wouldn't they have eliminated it there, or at least kept him away from it, on CP as well, if they had fully realized the danger?
Why would they bother? On CP, they have the place wired with nukes. He can get as drunk as he wants, he still can't do anything there while they have that hanging over him. The dinner on Minbar was probably going to be his best (if not only) ever chance to do something outside the control of the Drakh.
raw_bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th 07, 14:44   #12
RW7427

Good stuff! Gets a B from me.
Old February 28th 07, 21:13   #13
Boxie
Telepath

Send a message via MSN to Boxie Send a message via Yahoo to Boxie

I liked this episode! It's the scene between Lennier and Sheridan that makes it for me. I remember the first time I saw it. I was so shocked to see Lennier just standing there, looking around...struggling with the decision of whether or not to help him, and was speechless as I watched him leave. I know he went back but I just could not believe it.
Old February 28th 07, 21:23   #14
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxie View Post
I liked this episode! It's the scene between Lennier and Sheridan that makes it for me. I remember the first time I saw it. I was so shocked to see Lennier just standing there, looking around...struggling with the decision of whether or not to help him, and was speechless as I watched him leave. I know he went back but I just could not believe it.
IIRC, neither could Bill Mumy, believe it, that is.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th 07, 02:12   #15
Lousy_Dodgers
Commander

I do not recall it from the Centauri Prime Trilogy but I just wonder when Sheridan ever got around to remembering that he saw Londo's keeper in WWE. Granted, Sheridan thought he was avoiding that particular future by going against Dellen's advice, but once he learned about his 20 years to live, the wheels should have started turning in his head.
Lousy_Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th 11, 21:16   #16
Estelyn
Commander

More closure in this episode - we find out for whom G'Kar left that recorded message. Ta'Lon is a great choice as his replacement! Then comes the next replacement - Dr. Hobbes. Interesting choice, as the one with whom Franklin probably had the most disagreements. Nice when someone can see farther than that to recognize the true worth of a person.

Garibaldi also chooses replacements - not for himself, but for the fired board members. He too wants those who will stand up, against him if necessary. Good for him!

Sheridan is saying his farewells too. I got a kick out of the X-Files reference, whether intentional or not - "What's out there? The truth." And Lochley speaks for us all when she says, "This place grows on you." Delenn's words upon leaving, "Our souls are part of this place."

Zack says he'll be there when they turn the lights off - prophetic, iirc, isn't it?

I love that look into C&C from the White Star, with everyone lined up. It's touching when Lochley and Sheridan exchange salutes.

Then comes the chance event that brings on Lennier's betrayal. He doesn't get the opportunity to rectify his mistake, as Sheridan rescues himself. We see him change his mind and know that he came back out of a good motive, but Sheridan has his justified doubts. "There has to be a price." Lennier did step over the line. However, I have the greatest admiration for Sheridan, who keeps the secret and saves face - not only Lennier's but also his and Delenn's. It would have been a very inauspicious start to have that become known.

Ah, Londo - Emperor Mollari, that is. He comes because he is sent, with evil intentions on the part of the Drakh. But he genuinely enjoys seeing his friends again. Apparently the Drakh realize that alcohol is disadvantageous for the Keeper, since they rarely allow it to him.

Sheridan's recorded message for his child is a very poignant way to end the episode, especially since the visuals show the others. It's hard for me, the viewer, to let go of B5 and the characters I've come to love, echoing their own reluctance.
Old February 9th 11, 02:40   #17
Jade Jaguar
First One

I so much expected to see that new lineup on C&C on Crusade, and was so disappointed when I didn't. You might guess that, from my avatar...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th 11, 12:20   #18
Alioth
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post
That still doesn't explain why they let him have alcohol on Centauri Prime, if they realized the danger. Also, he could have gotten drunk, and hidden a bottle in his luggage, before leaving. I'm sure he is clever enough to do that, if only for a contingency plan.
Remember though that sobriety is actually considered a "vice" among Centauri (the Regent's "only vice" as Londo had put it). Their spiritual beliefs are bacchinalian in nature. So not only would Londo arouse some curiosity among his acquaintances on Centauri Prime, but quitting drink would actually be a little scandalous, and everyone would be looking at him more closely. And as KoshFan said, the Drakh were very paranoid about anything looking out of place and arousing curiosity that could go places they didn't want it to.

In the Centauri Trilogy, the Drakh didn't need the Keeper awake and monitoring constantly to ensure their general will (and occasional specific instructions) was kept. The threat of them finding out what he'd done after the fact was enough.
Spoiler for Centauri Trilogy:
Like when Shiv'kala had actually laid out a plot with him to assassinate Sheridan (before the events of "Objects at Rest"), as a test, to see if he'd try to betray that plot. He did by dropping hints to Vir while inebriated, the plot was thwarted, and Shiv'kala knew he had a hand in that because of details of the plot he revealed only to Londo. And he then used the Keeper to punish him severely (and made him do "penance" by delivering the Keeper to Sheridan's future son as we saw in "Objects at Rest").
He was also effectively kept out of the loop on a lot of things, so there weren't too many beans he could spill anyway.

If you haven't read the trilogy, read it if you can find the books. I'll just say that the way the Drakh orchestrated events and actions on Centauri Prime was tragically fascinating--subtle yet thorough, and for the most part didn't even require Keepers on the various players, or even direct communications from the Drakh to them (most of them never knew they were there).

Last edited by Alioth; September 11th 11 at 12:28.
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th 11, 12:42   #19
Alioth
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousy_Dodgers View Post
I do not recall it from the Centauri Prime Trilogy but I just wonder when Sheridan ever got around to remembering that he saw Londo's keeper in WWE. Granted, Sheridan thought he was avoiding that particular future by going against Dellen's advice, but once he learned about his 20 years to live, the wheels should have started turning in his head.
If he ever did put two and two together, it never says.

Which is something I've wondered about too. The Rangers seemed to know about keepers, as Marcus spotted the one on Captain Jack (not sure if he knew its nature though, but its nature was revealed by Franklin's examination of it, and Captain Jack telling them what he knew about it). You'd think that Sheridan, curious "collector of secrets" that he is, would have done some digging to find out what it was he'd seen in his "time jump" experience, maybe found out what intelligence the Rangers had on these (and we know from the CT that the Technomages, or at least Galen, knew what they were too), and begun wondering if Londo had already had this "Keeper" on him from the out-of-character things he was doing (or that were being done in his name). Maybe not investigating all this before "Objects at Rest", but some time in the next several years. Maybe even figuring out that the Drakh (who 5 years later would attack Earth) were hiding out on Centauri Prime. But none of that seemed to happen from anything I saw or read.

Last edited by Alioth; September 11th 11 at 12:58.
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th 15, 23:45   #20
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

I'm sort of surprised to see Boxie upthread say that the Sheridan/Lennier scene is what made the episode for them. I like to pretend it never happened We've been discussing it so much in the other threads, I have very little left to say about it, other than once again: It doesn't fit with the character. Not even if you consider Delenn's "explanation" about how there are moments when we are not ourselves. Another interesting thing we haven't yet discussed is how Delenn mentions that in Lennier's diary, he talked about how he think that Delenn's relationship with Sheridan is a mistake. This is .. odd. I get that he is jealous, but surely he can see that they are well suited to one another?

That bit sort of overshadows the whole episode for me, although it is really quite nice, otherwise.... More endings.... And some scary Keeper foreshadowing. It's good stuff.

I love that Ta'Lon is the new Narn ambassador, and Dr. Hobbes the new Chief of Staff of medlab. They are both characters I really like. However, what is the deal on this show with people picking their own replacements? I commented on this when Dr. Franklin was offered Dr. Kyle's old job at Earth Dome in "The Ragged Edge". Here we see Dr. Franklin not only picking his own replacement, but offering her the job on the day he is leaving. It's more than a little bit weird.

I love all the goodbyes. It's all very sad.