B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The Corps Is Mother, The Corps Is Father
A -- Excellent 3 14.29%
B -- Good 11 52.38%
C -- Average 5 23.81%
D -- Poor 2 9.52%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 23rd 06, 21:22   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: The Corps Is Mother, The Corps Is Father

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for The Corps Is Mother, The Corps Is Father
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for The Corps Is Mother, The Corps Is Father
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd 06, 21:56   #2
Shaal Mayan
First One

Re: EpDis: The Corps Is Mother, The Corps Is Father

I liked this one showing more about the Psi Corps than in the past, and giving glimpses of Bester's dare I say human side .
Shaal Mayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th 06, 14:03   #3
RW7427

It's kinda boring, and those young people with Bester bug me.
Old December 24th 06, 21:30   #4
MMarin
Ranger

There is a nice idea behind this episode, but it just doesn't work for me. The telepath community seems way too mundane for my taste.
MMarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th 06, 00:55   #5
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaal Mayan View Post
I liked this one showing more about the Psi Corps than in the past, and giving glimpses of Bester's dare I say human side .
Only when relating to teeps. Look at how Bester and the girl treated the spacing of the mundane. Talk about cold!
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th 06, 04:16   #6
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Best line of the episode: "Despite what they may believe, not everything happens on Babylon 5."

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th 06, 14:28   #7
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Only when relating to teeps. Look at how Bester and the girl treated the spacing of the mundane. Talk about cold!
But that's what is so important and powerful about that scene. She's a young psi-cop in training, right? But even Bester is willing to do that bit of dirty work to spare her any kind of pain she might feel.

She was just glowing with eagerness to help out.

And the frightening part about seeing a compassionate side to Bester and the rest is to see how that same compassion as been completely eliminated from them, when it comes to normals.

It would be so much easier to just say "psi-cops like Bester simply HAVE no compassion".
Old December 25th 06, 18:28   #8
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
But that's what is so important and powerful about that scene. She's a young psi-cop in training, right? But even Bester is willing to do that bit of dirty work to spare her any kind of pain she might feel.

She was just glowing with eagerness to help out.
That was probably a test, to see if she'd freely do it. If she took Bester up on it, and let him space the mundane, she'd have failed that test. To both the young girl psi-cop in training and Bester, normal humans (mundanes) are, at most, objects to be used or obstacles to be eliminated. The spacing appears to have been some sort of standard procedure, and she passed the test.

Quote:
And the frightening part about seeing a compassionate side to Bester and the rest is to see how that same compassion as been completely eliminated from them, when it comes to normals.
But we've seen that from Bester all along. We saw that from Kelsey in "Mind War" in Season 1. That's nothing new. What we got to see in this episode is that it's also in the young girl psi-cop in training. When it comes to compassion toward mundanes, she has all the warmth of Talia's alternate personality, i.e. none.

Quote:
It would be so much easier to just say "psi-cops like Bester simply HAVE no compassion".
That would be true if the writer is going for nothing more than the simplistic, but JMS is trying to show us something more (Psi Corps. upbringing is elaborated upon in the Psi Corps. trilogy.). In reality, it's ingrained in them by Psi Corps, by their upbringing. It seems that those P-12s who can fully eliminate their compassion toward mundanes (unlike Byron) are good Psi Cop candidates.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th 06, 15:45   #9
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Yeah, KoshN's got it right. Remember that Bester has lived in the Corps all his life, constantly bombared by messages of obedience and superiority. It's like a cult. The only way he kept any individuality at all was through his ambition...

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th 06, 16:31   #10
hypatia
First One

Actually, about all I was saying is how I admired the episode. "It would have been easier to..." I assumed would be followd by an understood "but thank goodness JMS is such a good writer he didn't take the easy out".

There is just something about posting comments here that is interesting. It's interesting to see how people interpret what you write.

BAck to the episode:

It is interesting to see the B5 folk greet Bester-and-company. From their perspective, everything he's said about B5 certainly seems true: they were rude and angry at him/them the entire time. Considering it from what they see and hear, and not knowing the background between Bester and B5, it's even rather understandable.

And I disagree with the idea that if the female teep trainee hadn't spaced the mundane she'd somehow have ended her career. Aren't P10's rather rare? One mistake on one "test" and you are out seems a rather careless attitude to take with sucha precious commodity.

Last edited by hypatia; December 26th 06 at 17:10.
hypatia is online now   Reply With Quote