B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Strange Relations
A -- Excellent 13 61.90%
B -- Good 6 28.57%
C -- Average 2 9.52%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 5th 06, 22:59   #11
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli
Re: EpDis: Day Of The Dead

Main beef with the episode: Rebo and Zooty.

I thought it spoiled the whole concept of Rebo and Zooty to actually *see* them. And to find out that the aliens were all correct - they just aren't funny. At all.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th 06, 23:07   #12
KoshN

Quote:
the Walkers at Sigma 927.

Regards,

Joe
Come on, Joe. 927?
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th 06, 23:13   #13
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
I only found it unrealistic that nobody external (a third party, a curious bystander) showed up to record, measure, watch, reverse-engineer and analyse the event.
Note that (per the Lurker's Guide) the Day of the Dead only occurs once every 200 years. It is entirely plausable that:

A) There had not been one since the Brakiri made contact with other races.

B) No non-Brakiri had ever experianced it before.

C) Non-Brakiri who had heard of it had discounted the stories of contacts as legends / "old wives' tales".

I'm not surprised that no non-Brakiri scientific group had taken it seriously enough to mount an investigation.

And if they *did* then that investigation would have taken place on the Brakiri home world (should that be allowed). Note that it wasn't until the beginning of the episode, *very* shortly before the occurance, that the Brakiri "acquired" the piece of B5 that allowed it to be part of their planet. Therefore, nobody could have planned an investigative trip to B5 (not to mention the fact that I would doubt that any investigator who did take old Brakiri reports seriously, and did know about the temporary buying of part of B5, would almost certainly still not expect the effects to occur on B5).

No, I don't find it at all "unrealistic" that there were no actual investigations into the phenomenon going on on Babylon 5.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th 06, 23:19   #14
GKarsEye
First One

I kind of dug Rebo & Zooty. Besides being a Pen & Teller fan (but only when they're together, 'cause Pen Jillette is an insufferable ass when he gets the spotlight alone), they just didn't seem funny to us because we never saw the set-ups of any of their jokes, and also because culture will change so much in 260 years.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th 06, 23:53   #15
puzzle
Telepath

Quote:
Note that (per the Lurker's Guide) the Day of the Dead only occurs once every 200 years. It is entirely plausable that:
A) There had not been one since the Brakiri made contact with other races.
Reminds me that I've never noticed if the beginning of Brakiri spaceflight has been assigned a date by any story.

Quote:
And if they *did* then that investigation would have taken place on the Brakiri home world (should that be allowed).
A good point. At least Brakiri themselves (who'd not consider it an old wives' tale, and of whom some would desire to figure it out) would probably take their chances at crunching the mystery on their homeworld.

Quote:
I would doubt that any investigator who did take old Brakiri reports seriously, and did know about the temporary buying of part of B5, would almost certainly still not expect the effects to occur on B5).
That's plausible. And information might not travel quickly enough for anyone to respond and collect comparison data on B5 once it started.
puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th 06, 00:59   #16
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Quote:
I kind of dug Rebo & Zooty. Besides being a Pen & Teller fan (but only when they're together, 'cause Pen Jillette is an insufferable ass when he gets the spotlight alone)
So much word to this, GKarsEye.
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th 06, 01:20   #17
MMarin
Ranger

I have to agree with JMS when talking about Rebo and Zooty. His description brings a valid point to their comedic act.

Quote:
Neil kept the humor sort of off-base...operating on the assumption that there are some things that become au courant or funny because of context: Steve Martin's "excuuuuse me," for instance. Now, it ain't funny, it's just annoying...at the time, EVERYbody was saying it and laughing. R&Z are similar cultural phenomena...their "with a machine" catchphrase, for instance, which the crowd new and reacted to. To us, and Lochely, it didn't mean anything. Lochley's reaction was tailored to be EXACTLY the same as most women's (and some guy's) reaction to the Three Stooges: either it's funny, or you can't figure out why people are laughing.
MMarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th 06, 01:21   #18
Joseph DeMartino

Quote:
Come on, Joe. 927?
Hey, I had minor (outpatient) surgery on both feet Saturday morning, and I've either been in pain (at work) or on pain killers (at home) ever since. I'm surprised I've managed to type my name right as often as I have.

Quote:
I only found it unrealistic that nobody external (a third party, a curious bystander) showed up to record, measure, watch, reverse-engineer and analyse the event.
Well, Spengler and Stantz were all ready to go, but Venkman stopped them.

Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th 06, 02:40   #19
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Quote:
Hey, I had minor (outpatient) surgery on both feet Saturday morning, and I've either been in pain (at work) or on pain killers (at home) ever since. I'm surprised I've managed to type my name right as often as I have.
Aw, had those sixth toes removed finally, Joe? Seriously though, many healing vibes headed your way, and I hope you feel better soon. Painkillers are a wonderful thing. Got class 2 narcotics, or the lightweight stuff?

Quote:
Well, Spengler and Stantz were all ready to go, but Venkman stopped them.
Bwah! I think you ought to win the thread when you can shoehorn in a Ghostbusters reference. Nicely done.

Amy
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th 06, 03:15   #20
Joseph DeMartino

Quote:
Aw, had those sixth toes removed finally, Joe?
My sister thnks the (admittedly larger than usual) gap between my big toe and the rest of the toes on each of my feet is freakishly huge, and when we were kids used to tell our friends and neighbors that I'd had an extra toe removed from that spot. I think she was just jealous because she couldn't dial a rotary phone or pick up a key with her feet - skills which I thought would come in handy if we were ever tied up by burglars.

Quote:
Seriously though, many healing vibes headed your way, and I hope you feel better soon. Painkillers are a wonderful thing. Got class 2 narcotics, or the lightweight stuff?
Tylenol-Codiene threes if you can believe it. And I had to ask the quack for that much. He sent me home with nothing but a presciption for anti-biotics, which I didn't question at the time since my toes were still numb from the anasthetic. But when that wore off a few hours later it felt like somebody had fitted a gom jabber to each foot. I called the office (which had closed), got the answering service which took a message for the doctor on call - who turned out to be my doctor. He called back a couple of hours later and I talked him into writing the scrip. Then I realized that pharmacies don't deliver any more. (There is one in the area that does nothing but deliveries, but you have to open an account in person before they'll accept prescriptions by phone or fax.) So I had to walk down three flights of stairs to my car, drive to the nearest Walgreens, walk to the phramacy counter at the back of ths store, then stand behind Ma Kettle as she balanced her checkbook, sorted all her coupons and change and negotiated a lasting peace betwen the Israelis and Palestinians before she finally got out of my way after picking up her drugs. Then I walked the length of the store again, across the parking lot, drove the five blocks to my place and climbed back up those three flights of stairs before collapsing on the couch and finding out the doctor had not supplied the oxycodone or morphine I had hoped for, but Tyllenol with a little cough suppressent. I compensated by taking two days worth the in the first 18 hours.

I had to come home a couple of hours early yesterday, myfirst full day back on my feet. (And the first wearing footwear of any kind since Saturday. Sneakers. Found out I had over-padded one toe, though, so it was kinda squished most of the day. Really couldn't change the dressing at work.) Today I got in a litle late, just beause everything takes longer when you're limping, but I lasted the whole day, even stayed a little late to finish getting all the network accounts for tomorrow's bi-weekly class of new highers set up on the network.

And thanks for the healing thoughts, I'm sure they'll help.

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote