B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The Face Of The Enemy
A -- Excellent 11 27.50%
B -- Good 22 55.00%
C -- Average 3 7.50%
D -- Poor 4 10.00%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 4th 06, 05:11   #21
vacantlook

Re: EpDis: The Deconstruction Of Falling Stars

The Great Burn began with the Daniel/Garibaldi segment, but I don't think it was the totality of it. I should rewatch the episode.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th 06, 05:14   #22
KoshN

I like this episode a lot, for several reasons:

1. Delenn putting those academics in their place, especially the woman (who would make a great Herazade <spit>, BTW, because she's got the personality down pat.)

2. Garibaldi tricking Daniel. and "Rest easy, friends."

3. The exodus of the Vorlon/Ranger to new Earth (the Vorlon homeworld).
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th 06, 05:52   #23
Joseph DeMartino

Quote:
My understanding is that the other humans that were offworld were the ones that those on Earth were going to blow up
I thnk the episode makes it clear that there were two factions on Earth that were fighting, and the bone of contnetion was precisely how much contact/influence "outsiders" should have. The ensuing war was purely intramural.

The result was a radioactive Earth with a primative civilization hostile to science and technology and particularly resentful of off-world Humans and aliens to the extent that they remember such things. How many volunteers to visit that hell hole do you think you're going to get from among the peaceful and prosperous denizens of, say, Mars, or Proxima. Of course everybody would say, "too bad", but a) the folks on Earth had brought it on themselves, and b) until they dug themselves sufficiently out of the rubble and the radiation levels dropped, there wouldn't be a hell ofa lot anybody could do. I'd say the Rangers covert aid is about as much as can be done about as early as it is feasible to try.

Look, it isn't like we haven't had enough analogous situations right here on Earth. Countries have fallen into chaos and civil war many times without the rest of the world intervening, or even knowing very much about it. Stop the average man on the street in York or Strasbourg or Baltimore and ask him if he knows what the word "Darfur" means.

Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th 06, 06:06   #24
vacantlook

Quote:
I thnk the episode makes it clear that there were two factions on Earth that were fighting, and the bone of contnetion was precisely how much contact/influence "outsiders" should have. The ensuing war was purely intramural.

The result was a radioactive Earth....
I knew I wasn't remembering it right, but just couldn't really think of a good enough reason for other human colonies to disregard Earth afterward. Vast radioactivity of the planet works, though.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th 06, 15:33   #25
Joseph DeMartino

Quote:
Vast radioactivity of the planet works, though.
It does tend to discourage casual visitors. I have a radiation hazmat warning on my door for that very reason. Haven't seen a magazine salesman, religious prostelyzer or cookie-bearing Girl Scout in years. Cuts way down on the trick-or-treaters, too. Saves me a fortune.

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th 06, 18:12   #26
Shaal Mayan
First One

c average
Shaal Mayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th 08, 02:08   #27
Elipsis
Commander

Looks like I gave this a B and never explained why.

Anyway, It really didn't even give the sense of closure that the previous episode gave.

I liked the premise of the episode but felt vague dissatisfied with the presentation. The first news segment felt well done, capturing the same air of unprofessionalism that we've come to expect from the talking head shows, but the 100 year broadcast seemed like a dry rehashing of the same attitudes and went on for far too long.

The 500 year "Great Burn" sequence was kind of cool and probably my favorite of the bunch... it was cool seeing what they did with all the technology 500 years after B5.

The last sequence with the monks seemed kind of confusing. Having read the lurker's guide I know JMS's responses to the criticisms... but it still didn't do much for me and left a lot of unanswered questions... primarily
"Why the hell is it taking so long, and what are the other worlds / races doing about all of this?"

Loved the touch at the end with the Human-encounter-suit and the organic ships.
Elipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th 08, 09:48   #28
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

I really hated this episode... which is why I took my avatar from it

I enjoyed it a lot... especially the climax (which is viewable on YouTube), but no surprises there.

I do wonder if the colonial humans advanced in terms of evolution, ahead of those on Earth... if the Great Burn slowed down the change that was coming; that would be interesting to discover.

Also, are we ever told that the weapons used in the "Great Burn" are nuclear? I can't remember. The GOD platforms were more than capable of scorching Earth with particle beams.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th 08, 05:24   #29
maneth
Ambassador

Indeed. It would be interesting to know, because particle beams would probably not make the world dangerous to visit for short periods. That said, the brothers didn't seem to wear any hazmat protection.
Old September 4th 10, 01:20   #30
FlyingCircus
Lurker

I haven't seen the episode in quite a while, but didn't Daniel also say that his party was concerned about the purity of the human race? Does that mean interspecies-coupling was spreading?

One more thing: Why is the poll titled "The Face of the Enemy"?
FlyingCircus is offline   Reply With Quote