B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: DO you think Corpations will rule the world
A -- Excellent 3 15.00%
B -- Good 9 45.00%
C -- Average 6 30.00%
D -- Poor 1 5.00%
F -- Failure 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 17th 06, 16:48   #11
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Re: EpDis: Learning Curve

Quote:
Besides, I don't recall 'terror' being mentioned in the 'declaration of principles' that the Alliance is meant to hold so dear.
The Rangers were not talking about terror in terms of applying "terror" to the criminal.

They were talking about the "terror" that had been created in the mind of the Ranger and his need to face / confront that terror so that he would not be reacting from a phobic mindset in the future.

The important part was for him to come face-to-face with what had terrorized him so that he could have som measure of control, mostly in terms of mental control of himself, in such situations. It was more a coincidence of the circumstances of his particular incident that dictated that this involve a violent confrontation with a criminal, not some requirement of "terrorizing" violent criminals. If he had been burned in a fire, then that application of "terror" would have involved him going into or through a burning room or something similar.

Even if he had lost the fight, he still would have faced the situation with some measure of control and would likely not have as irrationally phobic of a response to similar situations going forward. That was the point, not giving "terror" to the guy who had beaten him.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th 06, 00:24   #12
puzzle
Telepath

Some additional points, after having several more moments of idle time to proceed wearing out a perfectly good keyboard:

- It seems the Ranger didn't commence with fighting that guy before he picked up the staff. I don't recall the episode well enough to remember whether anyone suggested, or didn't suggest that he pick it up. In any case, the consequence of picking up a weapon you are offered, seems pretty obvious without use of explanatory language. It's fighting.

-Bah, fear of losing a fight is natural, but the preferable way to deal with having lost a fight, is not always getting into the next one straight away. Then again, if the person who caused grief is still within reach, and is the kind of person for whom it's awfully justified to cause some grief in return, and one's healthy enough to go causing it... the proposition of "why not, let's try again, but this time if you fail, we'll handle him anyway" certainly sounds more sensible.
puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th 06, 01:11   #13
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
fear of losing a fight is natural
Sure, fear is a natural, good thing.

However, there is a difference between reasonable fear that stops you from doing suicidal things ...... and the kind of irrational phobic fear that tends to be caused by a traumatic event, which blocks out the ability to think analytically and rationally. The one tends to keep you safer while the other just makes it more likely that you will get yourself (or your comrades) killed with an unreasoned response somewhere down the line.

The Rangers were practicing a form of "get right back on the horse ...." before a full blown phobia has a chance to take root.

And, he had not just "lost a fight". He had been beaten into a near coma (or was it actual short erm coma?).
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th 06, 03:11   #14
RW7427

And remember how Delenn tells Dr. Franklin "There are higher courts Steven. Surely we will find justice in one of those."

I wonder what courts those could be.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th 07, 13:31   #15
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

I do hope JMS meant part of the message of this one to be that the Rangers kind of suck.

Seriously, a force that pretends to be all about being "good", that can supersede the law at will for their petty revenge rituals? Scary shit.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th 07, 14:45   #16
Jan
Psi Cop

Pillow Rock makes good points.

In script book #12, JMS makes it clear that this is one of the episodes he wishes would drop off of a pier someplace. The story of how he came up with the story of the Ranger facing his terror, though, is a part of his personal history. He was mugged when he was young and almost died of his injuries. Upon leaving the hospital, before anything else, he needed to go back to that site and face his fear.

I never had a problem with the Mor'a'dum (sp?) because we already knew from Marcus that the Rangers teach their people "...terror. How to use it and how to face it." Anyway, if this is part of the Minbari tradition, it's not against the law for them. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking of the Minbari by human values but it's still supposed to be an alien culture.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th 07, 14:52   #17
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Which kind of makes you wonder what terror Marcus faced (I can't remember if it was covered in "To Dream in the City of Sorrows". I'd wager it had something to do with returning to Mars or observing a shadow attack on a colony to face the loss of his brother... because as far as we know, that was the most traumatic thing he had experienced prior to meeting him.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th 07, 21:49   #18
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad
...I'd wager it had something to do with returning to Mars....
I can't remember: what happened to Marcus on Mars?
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 07, 04:27   #19
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Marcus dated Number One and spotted the creature on Captain Jack's shoulder.

Garibaldi comes from Mars and it keeps trying to kill him.
Old September 27th 07, 09:17   #20
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
I got a little mixed up.

Marcus spoke of being from a colony and I misheard Mars (A Late Delivery from Avalon), his early life and the event I was referring to (the Shadow attack that killed his brother, the place he worked and a woman he was particularly fond of), happened on a different colony - Arisia:

Quote:
Marcus Cole was born on the Arisia Mining Colony, where his family operated a relatively dangerous mining operation. His brother William had left the colony and become a Ranger on Minbar; he was killed by the Shadows while visiting Marcus on Arisia. Marcus was one of the few survivors (if not the only survivor) of the attack. Much of Marcus Cole's early background is told in the novelization To Dream In the City of Sorrows (ISBN 0-345-45219-4) by Kathryn Drennan.

Marcus joined the Rangers following the death of his brother, William, and at times he seems to have joined the Rangers as a form of guilt over his brother's death.
My bad.

The point I was making was that in all likelihood, the event that caused him most terror was probably the one that led to him joining the rangers in the first place. Certainly, Turval was aware of it in the episode we are discussing... and he obviously saw it as a cause for concern.

I suppose for Lennier, terror would be facing up to his actions/inaction with regard to Sheridan in "Objects at Rest".

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY

Last edited by Galahad; September 27th 07 at 09:26.
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote