B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Hunter, Prey
A -- Excellent 18 54.55%
B -- Good 10 30.30%
C -- Average 5 15.15%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 21st 05, 08:13   #21
Enlightened_GKar
Dead Account

Re: EpDis: Confessions And Lamentations

Powerful stuff. The shot of the near-dead Markab reaching for Garibaldi's aide is extremely poignant. Good writing by having the characters adapt to a situation that is out of their control as well as understanding.

Though it may seem implausible to us Humans, it is quite possible that an intelligent, spacefaring race is so capable of religious fanaticism. Though, this was not meant to be the focus of the show. Sure, the viewer could get caught up on the innerworkings of the Markab soul, but the beauty of this episode was meant to display our characters fighting against an atypical opponent -- a pestilence.

(Not that you are wrong for questioning the Markab's devout fanaticism, I just think that the viewer was left with a complete lack of details regarding the inside practices of the Markab. Ease your rancor for the Markab's blind religiousness by thinking that some agnostic/atheistic Markab ignored the religious ideas centered around the plague, whatever. We just do not know enough about: the blackplot, the culture, and the species to determine what the Markab would and would not do.)

Anyway, this episode does what possibly no other TV show has done in history -- kill the kid. Tribute should be given to JMS for this heartless stroke, because it makes the pay-off that much better. The total biological genocide occurs, and it is truly shocking.

This could easily be an A.
Enlightened_GKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st 05, 11:14   #22
deaded
Telepath

No, you're TOTALLY right. That was the coolest thing about this ep. They actually killed the kid. WOW! Freakin.. DDUDE! JMS, you are one SLY mofo!

But still, with all the questioning and angst that occurs in adolescence, how the fuok could not *ONE* single Markab question the historic or biologic validity of a moraly directed lethal virus?
deaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st 05, 11:47   #23
vacantlook

How do we know that there weren't Markab that questioned the moral reason given by the majority for the virus? They could have been such that when they did actually question that the fanatasism was so strong in those in control of things in the government that those who questioned ended up with ruined careers, so few actually were able to do any big studying about it.

And as Enlightened_GKar spoke on, the Markab are aliens, which includes alien sociology and psychology, which could partially explain why they wouldn't behave in the exact same way an equally large group of humans would behave.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st 05, 16:57   #24
hypatia
First One

Quote:
But still, with all the questioning and angst that occurs in adolescence, how the fuok could not *ONE* single Markab question the historic or biologic validity of a moraly directed lethal virus?
VL just covered that pretty well. Who ever said not one single Markab questioned this? The Markab doctor obviously did. He just had a SYSTEM HE COULDN'T WIN against fighting him.

Ever see the move "And the Band Played On"? The men and women trying to understand and fight the AIDS virus were seriously held back because they were in a minority and had little pull with the men who dole out the money for such things.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st 05, 20:28   #25
RW7427

I think this ep is one of the saddest and most tragic of the series. A disease hits an alien race, and it wipes out the whole race because they refused to believe that it could kill them. They were too busy being pious, and that lead to their extinction. It's sad because innocent lives, like the life of that little girl that Delenn comforted, were lost simply because they thought they were too good for it to kill them.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 05, 00:01   #26
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
So you are saying they deserve to die Mr. Swallow?

Deserve - No.

Unfortunately some actions have their own builtin punishment.
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 05, 09:38   #27
deaded
Telepath

Quote:
And as Enlightened_GKar spoke on, the Markab are aliens, which includes alien sociology and psychology, which could partially explain why they wouldn't behave in the exact same way an equally large group of humans would behave
Very good points. However it's obvious that none of you have ever seen Star Trek. If you had you'd realize that all alien psychology is extrapolatable to human thought processes.

Quote:
Ever see the move "And the Band Played On"? The men and women trying to understand and fight the AIDS virus were seriously held back because they were in a minority and had little pull with the men who dole out the money for such things.

Yes. Yes I did. Excellent HBO flick with Alan Alda. In fact I lived through that period while I was going through college and medical school. There was resistance but it only took them 3 or 4 years to break through. Eventually the AIDS epidemic was appreciated for what it was/is. NOT a homosexual curse but a seriously fucked-up communicable dz. Sure people still hang on to their prejudices but the pervasive societal blinders only lasted a few years. With the Markab we're talking tens of generations.
deaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th 05, 23:16   #28
macmaccaman
Ranger

I went for an A, its undoutably the best "standalone" episode of the series (Dawn was close for me). Though in saying that, it was subtly a big arc episode - with the Franklin Stims thing, the love story and Sheridan's realisation of Keffer's search.

There was hardly a B-story, the John/Delenn thing was the closest! The music was brilliant, and I liked some of the direction - looking back you get little moments in it, like when Franklin takes the stim and then the magnitude of that moment is conveyed by the camera doing that pull back thing. Didn't think much of it then, but in the context of what happened next I thought it was a nice touch.

I like this one a lot! (I just finished rewatching it!)
macmaccaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th 06, 19:49   #29
Lousy_Dodgers
Commander

It is a rather powerful episode and it remains one of my favorites for the reason that it is not a standard TV or Trek ending. We have all seen these types of episodes before and we expect to see Franklin save everyone in the nick of time but that is not what happens here. In that sense, the episode is a much better reflection of reality than other portrayals. I will grant you that it is unlikely that humanity would allow religion to prevent it from studying a disease. Even if governments did not fun research, private individuals or companies could pursue cures on their own.

However, the episode is more reflective of the world we live in by reminding us that life does not always end well. We continue to draw closer to creating cures for AIDs but millions have already died. For those victims, there was no last-minute cure or easy solution.
Lousy_Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th 06, 21:20   #30
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
I will grant you that it is unlikely that humanity would allow religion to prevent it from studying a disease.
Really?

I wouldn't take that for granted.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote