B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Epiphanies
A -- Excellent 8 40.00%
B -- Good 11 55.00%
C -- Average 0 0%
D -- Poor 1 5.00%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 17th 06, 21:25   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: Rumors, Bargains and Lies

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for Rumors, Bargains and Lies
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for Rumors, Bargains and Lies
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th 06, 12:32   #2
Springer
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: Rumors, Bargains and Lies

I have a big problem with this episode, and its the way Sheridan goes around deceiving the non-aligned worlds to get them to act as he likes. Though we know plenty of stuff like that goes on in real life, to begin working towards the Alliance like that doesn't seem like an honest foundation on which to build it, when the Alliance makes such a big deal about principles. This episode also portrays the non-aligned aliens as pretty stupid people (in fact, quite a few of the episodes do, and its rare we see an individual Drazi or Markab or whatever act like they have a modicum of intelligence). So yeah, not a big fan of this episode. At least its got the Minbari plot to keep it going.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th 06, 14:17   #3
hypatia
First One

That is a valid point. I see it as being a sign of his exasperation/desperation. And in reality, he didn't really do anything. Just had Marcus go out and shoot up some rocks. If some people want to jump to conclusions... Sherridan himself never lied.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th 06, 14:26   #4
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

It's true. Ivanova's news report was absolutely factual.

But as we all learned from Wag the Dog, the best way to start a rumor is to have people in power deny it.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th 06, 17:36   #5
fisheggs
Techno-mage

Reminds me of Goodkind's Sword of Truth series concept: Wizards First Rule: People are Stupid! They believe what they want to. A favorite of mine.

And it seems it's true for Aliens as well.

All Sheridan really did was to reinforce the concept that an Enemy is out there. And they stand a better chance together than alone. He was also right, Drakh anyone? I also love that JMS showed how politics sometimes works and how fear is a big motivator in "the big scheme of things"
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th 06, 19:41   #6
RW7427

Quote:
Reminds me of Goodkind's Sword of Truth series concept: Wizards First Rule: People are Stupid! They believe what they want to. A favorite of mine.

I don't remember Richard or Zed saying that.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th 06, 19:59   #7
vacantlook

"People are stupid."

A version of this was said by Principal Snyder in reference to the residents of Sunnydale and their ability to disregard the frequent supernatural occurances that happen around town in Buffy The Vampire Slayer. If I remember correctly, his specific version was, "I don't know if you've payed attention, but people in this town are deeply stupid." People seeing a group of vampires and thinking them to just be a gang wacked out on PCP or getting bitten by a vampire, not remembering much about it, and thinking because of the shape of the neck wound that they must have fallen on one of those two-pronged barbeque forks despite not owning one, for examples.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th 06, 20:11   #8
fisheggs
Techno-mage

Quote:
Quote:

I don't remember Richard or Zed saying that.
You mean Zeddicus Z'ul Zorander? copyright 1994?

He did. Paraphrased of course.
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th 06, 21:42   #9
RW7427

He did? Perhaps I need to re-read that book.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th 06, 12:07   #10
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
"People are stupid."

A version of this was said by Principal Snyder in reference to the residents of Sunnydale and their ability to disregard the frequent supernatural occurances that happen around town in Buffy The Vampire Slayer. If I remember correctly, his specific version was, "I don't know if you've payed attention, but people in this town are deeply stupid." People seeing a group of vampires and thinking them to just be a gang wacked out on PCP or getting bitten by a vampire, not remembering much about it, and thinking because of the shape of the neck wound that they must have fallen on one of those two-pronged barbeque forks despite not owning one, for examples.
Specifically, I believe Snyder was talking about the Sunnydale police, but on the wider scale it was true for people as well, too. The smart folks like Oz had no trouble believing the whole vampire deal as soon as it was pointed out to them.

The cops, of course, never did realize what was going on. Which is why the Trio never really worried about them. They knew who Sunnydale's finest really were.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote