B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Z'ha'dum
A -- Excellent 24 80.00%
B -- Good 6 20.00%
C -- Average 0 0%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 21st 06, 21:52   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: Into The Fire

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for Into The Fire
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for Into The Fire
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th 06, 19:04   #2
B5_Obsessed
First One

Re: EpDis: Into The Fire

I remember gettin halfway into this episode and saying, "I think this going to end tonight." Such a surprise. Of course, we know all the reasons behind the timing, but I still enjyed the episode. I liked that, in the end, the war was stopped not by a bigger gun, but by Sheridan and Delenn thinking their way out of it.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th 06, 19:16   #3
vacantlook

Yeah, I too like that the war was ended by understanding, not by being bigger, stronger, etc than that which they're trying to beat.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th 06, 22:51   #4
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Yeah, I too like that the war was ended by understanding, not by being bigger, stronger, etc than that which they're trying to beat.
I never thought they would win by being stronger, etc. I was convinced that Sheridan's strategy was to pit the Shadows and Vorlons against each other, and try to get out of their way fast. After the Shadows and Vorlons had concluded their battle, hopefully only a few, damaged ones, would remain. Then, Sheridan and his allies, including the few remaining other First Ones would try and clean up what remained. That seemed like a sensible strategy. So, I'll admit a bit of dissappointment at missing out on what might have been the biggest space battle of all sci fi TV. But, intellectually, I found the surprise peaceful ending satisfying.
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th 06, 14:15   #5
Springer
Ambassador

I liked the story, but I didn't think it was written so well. There's some atrocious dialogue ("Get the hell out our galaxy" indeed) and the Shadows and Vorlons came across as being a bit wimpy in the end, needing Lorien to go with them. Also, I remember reading an interview with the director, Kevin Dobson I think, so said that when the Shadow and Vorlon materialise on the White Star, he had wanted them to materialise as giants outside the ship, like giant greek gods, but JMS said no, which in my view really limited the grandeur of what should have been the most grand and wondrous episode so far.

The battle scenes are really good though, the First One ships are wonderful, and all the scenes on Centauri Prime are gripping. So although I didn't have a problem with the ending to the Shadow War per se, I did with the way the episode was made.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th 06, 18:50   #6
RW7427

Yeah, I kinda don't like the way the battle ends either. After the Vorlons, Shadows, and the Alliance all bring huge numbers of ships, you'd expect "the mother of all battles", but it's not even half of that. But, I suppose the way that it DOES end is the way that it really should.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th 06, 20:57   #7
B5_Obsessed
First One

Quote:
Yeah, I kinda don't like the way the battle ends either. After the Vorlons, Shadows, and the Alliance all bring huge numbers of ships, you'd expect "the mother of all battles", but it's not even half of that. But, I suppose the way that it DOES end is the way that it really should.
See, this is where we've been spoiled by B5. You have to remember, this is not Star Wars, it was a weekly tv show on a limited budget. There was no way they could keep giving us more and more with the time and budget they had, although at times it seemed like they could. As I recall, Z'ha'Dum was being pieced together right up until air time. That's pretty scary.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st 06, 13:43   #8
Sindatur
Techno-mage

I liked it, because every other show (Trek) would've made the Alliance win through some Dues Ex Machina "Bigger Gun".

It was funny, even alot of still die hard fans today, back when the episode first aired were complaining about the fact that it was a wimp out that Sheridan "talked" his way out of a fight. You see very few of those comments now from those same fans.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st 06, 14:23   #9
GKarsEye
First One

My only criticism is that the action seems to happen so fast. And I guess the imagery they went with when Sheridan and Delenn confronted the Vorlons and Shadows was kinda lame, but then again I don't know what could possibly not have been lame.

But yes, I do absolutely love the way that story arc ended.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st 06, 15:36   #10
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
As I recall, Z'ha'Dum was being pieced together right up until air time.
Well, Severed Dreams was delivered for its uplink a matter of minutes before it was due to be transmitted to the affiliate stations.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote