B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Grey 17 Is Missing
A -- Excellent 19 73.08%
B -- Good 7 26.92%
C -- Average 0 0%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 12th 06, 23:06   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: Whatever Happened To Mr Garibaldi?

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for Whatever Happened To Mr Garibaldi?
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for Whatever Happened To Mr Garibaldi?
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th 06, 01:13   #2
Stanley
Ranger

Re: EpDis: Whatever Happened To Mr Garibaldi?

I voted excellent. This is one of my very favorite episodes. I especially loved the ending; Bruce's performance and Chris Franke's score makes me want to cry.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th 06, 13:46   #3
GKarsEye
First One

Love this bunch of eps, but I have one quibble- isn't it kind of surprising that G'Kar risks life and limb to go on a needle-in-a-haystack search for Garibaldi? This is the kind of thing one would do for a loved one or something, but I never fealt that G'Kar and Garibaldi were that close.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th 06, 18:34   #4
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

It probably has a lot to do with G'Kar's idea of helping others beyond his own species. Doesn't he tell Marcus that he's going after Garibaldi because he's never had a non-Narn friend before? He's setting an example. Also, nobody else seems to care about Garibaldi, so G'Kar feels he should do something.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th 06, 19:17   #5
RW7427

Yeah, I think G'Kar knew that the others were too busy with the Alliance and the war to worry about going out to look for Garibaldi. Since G'Kar had recently pledged his services to the Alliance, he probably felt, as KoshFan suggested, that he was doing something to contribute.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th 06, 21:11   #6
PillowRock
Psi Cop

On the other hand, I had gotten the impression ..... through G'Kar's prison sentence and G'Kar's loaning Garibaldi his copy of the Book of G'Quon ...... that the two of them *had* struck up a friendship.

They may not have been the kind the of long time, intimate confidantes that would prompt most people to risk their life on such a low probability chance.

However, they were simply friends. Their relationship was not based upon any mutual advantage that they gained from each other. It was just a basic, enjoy-each-other's-company friendship. It may have "only" been what many of us might think of as a "casual frindship", but, as G'Kar explicitly points out, it is the very first real friend that he had *ever* had who was not a Narn.

Given G'Kar's relatively recent revelations, I can see how that might resonate very deeply with G'Kar at this point.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th 06, 21:17   #7
Jan
Psi Cop

Remember, too, how Garibaldi warned G'Kar off of transferring weapons using the station but called in a favor from a friend to help him out. No, they never hung out together but I think they definitely thought of each other as friends. And after that weapons help, G'Kar may have felt obligated to Garibaldi, too.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th 06, 12:18   #8
Bester
First One

In the JMS section of the Lurker's Guide for this ep, he says:

Quote:
I like the rough edges, the hesitations, the stumbles. In editing 402 the other day, there's several takes to choose from in a particular scene, but I picked the one where the actor slightly stumbled over the line, because it was at the heat of the moment, and in that kind of situation, we all get flustered. It made it feel more real.
Does anyone know the line he is referring to? I've never noticed the "stumble" myself.
Bester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th 06, 12:31   #9
Enlightened_GKar
Dead Account

Quote:
Love this bunch of eps, but I have one quibble- isn't it kind of surprising that G'Kar risks life and limb to go on a needle-in-a-haystack search for Garibaldi? This is the kind of thing one would do for a loved one or something, but I never fealt that G'Kar and Garibaldi were that close.
G'Kar gave Garibaldi his copy of the Book of G'Quan. That says it all. But what was Marcus doing there? Did Marcus and G'Kar even cross paths other than "A Late Delivary from Avalon?" As much as I enjoyed their banter, Marcus had no strong reason to be with G'Kar--this point became more awkward once G'Kar forced Marcus to leave.

Still, this episode is an A all the way. Look at Andreas's reaction to the light as the cell door closes. Phenomenal work.

This has got to be one of the most quotable episodes of the series, and nearly every starring actor has a chance to shine.

Another thing I love G'Kar's non-sequitor reply to Emperor Cartaiga.

Cartaiga: "And you? Have you anything to say?"
G'Kar: "Do you by chance happen to know where Mr. Garibaldi might be?"
Cartaiga: (Looks back at Londo)
Londo: (shrugs)
Cartaiga: WHO?!!!

Cut to Garibaldi being interrogated.

I have to wonder what JMS was thinking when he had G'Kar ask about Garibaldi in the face of the Emperor of the Centauri. I mean, it was obvious Cartaiga had never heard of him, and it is a testament to Narn resolve, but of all the weird ass things to say . . .
Enlightened_GKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th 06, 12:34   #10
Enlightened_GKar
Dead Account

I assume the bar scene. Following Marcus's dramatic entrance and the punches that ensued, one of the bar's denizens taps the alarms. Listen to G'Kar as the claxons go off. He says something . . . indecipherable followed by, "Come on" to Marcus.
The pronounciation on that line before "Come on" is shakey. At best.
Enlightened_GKar is offline   Reply With Quote