B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Interludes And Examinations
A -- Excellent 22 62.86%
B -- Good 12 34.29%
C -- Average 1 2.86%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 13th 06, 14:15   #21
Elric
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: And The Rock Cried Out No Hiding Place

Almost an A, but not quite.

The scene where Refa is getting killed with the Gospel music always wierds me out (in a good way) - only JMS would have joyous gospel singing whilst the antagonist gets what he deserves.

Great stuff, but when compared to the likes of Severed Dreams & Z'ha'Dum (A eps), it does not quite have enough to put it up their with the truly fantastic episodes.
Elric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th 06, 16:28   #22
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Hmph.. technomages!
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th 06, 16:56   #23
GKarsEye
First One

I actually like this one more than the Kick You in the Ass Change Everything in the Plot episodes like Severed Dreams. When the foundation is so strong, it's relatively kind of easy to make one of those huge episodes be good. But it's eps like Rock that make it all possible.

More importantly, this one just gets under my skin more. It's more sly and intricate and intimate. Come to think of it, this may well be a contender for my favorite episode.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th 06, 17:00   #24
aajay
Ranger

Great ending...great music. Refa got what he deserved, albeit for the incorrect reason. Definite A.
aajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th 06, 17:55   #25
Ninja_Squirrel
First One

Quote:
More importantly, this one just gets under my skin more. It's more sly and intricate and intimate. Come to think of it, this may well be a contender for my favorite episode.
I agree.

As I've probably mentioned in the forums here before, seeing this episode when it aired for the first time was when I finally shook off some of my stubborn Star Trek geekitude and finally declared that Babylon 5 is better than Trek. As geeky as I was about Star Trek when I was in high school and college, coming to that conclusion was more significant than it my sound.

I think in terms of overall quality and excitement, there may be bigger, flashier, more arc-important episodes, such as Severed Dreams and Into the Fire. But, I would say I *like* this episode even better than WWE1&2, Shadow Dancing, Z'Ha'Dum, Into the Fire, Face of the Enemy, Endgame, etc. Off the top of my head, I might only like Severed Dreams more than this episode.

In fact, even if they're not usually considered the "best" episodes, it's often the quieter, more poignant episodes like Confessions and Lamentations and Passing Through Gethsemane that I put among my *favorite* episodes. In fact, Quality of Mercy is my favorite season one episode, and with competition from Babylon Squared and Chrysalis, I'm probably in the minority on that opinion.

Yeah, And the Rock Cried Out... is definitely one of my favorite hours of TV of all time.
Ninja_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th 06, 03:54   #26
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
I actually like this one more than the Kick You in the Ass Change Everything in the Plot episodes like Severed Dreams. When the foundation is so strong, it's relatively kind of easy to make one of those huge episodes be good. But it's eps like Rock that make it all possible.

Well said!
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th 06, 13:36   #27
Springer
Ambassador

I dunno, I just find "The Rock Cried Out..." just a bit dull. Londo's fascinating as always with his scheming (how come he was never any good at poker? He should be a master at it!), and Refa's death is a great scene, but on the flipside there's the subplot with Sheridan learning to appreciate Delenn and involve her in his life more which just bores me. And the ending is cheesy, and really with all the hi-tech technology on B5 couldn't some computer have worked out the Shadow's plan much quicker than Sheridan?

Its also the last time we see Brother Theo. I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'm edging towards good thing.

I know its a breather between all the intense episodes, and I'm all for having episodes that aren't full of explosions and 'end of the world' conversations (for example, I actually like 'By Any Means Necessary'), I just don't particularly identify with this one. Are people rating it just based on the scene with the gospel music? (And didn't JMS write that gospel music? After Walkabout he seems to be on a songwriting roll)

Wait, why are you all looking at me like that?! Someone has to not like it!
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th 06, 14:30   #28
hypatia
First One

Quote:
And the ending is cheesy, and really with all the hi-tech technology on B5 couldn't some computer have worked out the Shadow's plan much quicker than Sheridan?

If we could train computers to really think...

we'd create HAL.

Analysis is often something that, despite the wonders of computer technology, simply must be done by humans (at this point).
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th 06, 14:45   #29
GKarsEye
First One

No, that's cool. Your post got me to check out the detailled synposis to see if there's anything that I don't like. I found one minor quibble- that the clerics working as underground intelligence were from every major religion, one each. That's just so... I dunno, Sesame Street or something. Let's all hold hands and sing around the world kind of bullshit. Why did only the Baptist minister get a service? And he brought his gospel choir entourage with him?

But other than that my opinion of the ep stands. I'm also reminded of G'Kar's detailed instructions on how to kill Refa, when he's all up in his grill, "Leave the head intact for identification." Cold shit, dude.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th 06, 15:05   #30
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
(And didn't JMS write that gospel music? After Walkabout he seems to be on a songwriting roll)
No, JMS didn't write the gospel song. Some of the things he said about it from the Lurker's Guide:

Quote:
-Where does the title come from?
It's from an old gospel song/spiritual.

-Did Harlan Ellison suggest it?
No, as a rule, Harlan doesn't suggest titles; "Rock" came from the quote from the Bible, which was later made into a gospel song, used in the show. So it's a real song, though I did write 2 for "Walkabout."

-Why's it called that? Because it's quite appropos. How do we fit it? Not a big deal. Longest title up to now was one I did for MURDER, SHE WROTE, a quote from Moby Dick, "To The Last Shall I Grapple With Thee."

-The song in "Rock" is an old gospel song. I've always had a soft spot for old gospel songs and spirituals because of their wonderful use of language and imagery, and you can dance to 'em. Not that I dance, but the theory is there, at least.
Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote