B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The Long, Twilight Struggle
A -- Excellent 4 13.33%
B -- Good 13 43.33%
C -- Average 12 40.00%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 26th 05, 15:51   #11
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Re: EpDis: A Day In The Strife

I go "C" as well. I understand the probe stuff, but, didn't particularly care for it. I thought Franklin's slide into stim over-use was handled extremely well. In fact, even though I don't think the episode would deserve it, without the Franklin stuff, I would've rated the episode much lower, for personal preference.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 00:15   #12
hypatia
First One

One point that shouldn't be brushed off is: why didn't they just write in a brief comment about beginning to evacuate the station? It actually does seem to be a real no-brainer of an element on your "immediate list of things to do" list.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 01:01   #13
Jan
Psi Cop

Dunno, but I'd say that evacuating the station would take more than just a passing mention considering that they'd have to commandeer every ship in the area (and there's no telling whether there would be enough ships around to take everybody withing the 24 hour window) and where would they put everybody anyway? I'm not sure, but I don't think they were on that good of terms with Drall to just send him 250,000 people to feed and doss down at a moment's notice.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 02:39   #14
GKarsEye
First One

Well what would Draal do, refuse?

I know that Draal isn't supposed to be used all the time, etc and so forth, but there have been plenty of situations where he could have lent a little assistance without interfering with Earth politics and such. With the Great Machine, JMS wrote in a Deus Ex Machina and then didn't use simply because it would have killed the story, yet there is often no logical reason story-wise not to.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 03:41   #15
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

What Draal probably would have done in terms of the probe was deal with the thing directly, but yeah, a little too much deus ex.

The best aspects of this episode are Ta'Lon's return and the banter between Ivanova and Corwin ("There goes my faith in the Almighty."). Other than that, a bit on the weak side.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 11:14   #16
GaribaldisHair
First One

Quote:
Well what would Draal do, refuse?

I know that Draal isn't supposed to be used all the time, etc and so forth, but there have been plenty of situations where he could have lent a little assistance without interfering with Earth politics and such. With the Great Machine, JMS wrote in a Deus Ex Machina and then didn't use simply because it would have killed the story, yet there is often no logical reason story-wise not to.
I got the impression that one of the major problems with using the Great Machine in the story was Draal himself. Having already re-cast the role once, JMS was then confronted with the reality of having given the role to a gifted theatre actor who was very often unavailable due to other commitments.

Draal was, of course, supposed to be in WWE but when the time came John Schuck was starring in a production of Hello Dolly (I think) on Broadway and was unable to take part. The role of the GM was clearly written so that Draal was integral to its use, so ... no Draal, no GM.

Here is one post from JMS on the subject (I have no idea what the issues was raised by the initial poster.

Click me ... please!
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 15:28   #17
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
(and there's no telling whether there would be enough ships around to take everybody withing the 24 hour window)
Actually my guess would that;

A) There are almost certainly *not* enough ships handy.

and

B) Even if there were enough ships, they almost certainly would not be able push enough people through their embarcation gates quickly enough (by the time you allow for ships getting in and out of the docking bays and such). They just aren't set up for anything remotely approaching that kind of volume.

Basically, you would end up with an uncontrolable riot / cage match among the virtually the entire population of the station to get through the gates and onto whatever ships were available.

Escape pods wouldn't help unless there were sufficient ships waiting outside to get them all picked up in time to still be able to get out of range (or around to the shosowed side of the planet, relative to the blast).
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 15:38   #18
hypatia
First One

Now that does make sense. But, in reality, don't you think they'd have quietly shipped the embassadors away?

It has been some time since I've seen the series, but was Kosh on B5 at the time?
Old September 27th 05, 15:58   #19
RW7427

With Vorlons...who knows?

I doubt Kosh would have hid out on Epsilon 3 anyway. He probably would have just gone off in his own ship.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 05, 16:11   #20
hypatia
First One

Considering how the Vorlons might behave towards humans if Kosh were to have been killed, I'd probably be ushering him to his ship and wishing him a pleasant journey away from the station.

If Kosh was not concerned, I'd be wondering why.