B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Confessions And Lamentations
A -- Excellent 28 53.85%
B -- Good 16 30.77%
C -- Average 3 5.77%
D -- Poor 3 5.77%
F -- Failure 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 30th 05, 19:19   #11
snockit
Commander

Re: EpDis: Comes The Inquisitor

I personally loved the use of Jack the Ripper in this episode. It really illustrated how ones view of what is "Right" and "the cause" truly is. We all know the monster Jack was, yet he saw himself as a person doing the right thing. And that truly illustrated of how one can be so wrong in their believe of their cause.

It wasn't a gimic to include him, more of a illustration of understanding the whole point of the episode.

S.
snockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th 05, 21:22   #12
Shaal Mayan
First One

Excellant this is the episode that got me hooked on b5 to begin with and Mira Furlan's acting is emmy winning.
Shaal Mayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th 05, 21:57   #13
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

This was the hook for me as well. Every time I rewatch it, it seems to get more intense.

And every time I get delusions of grandeur, Sebastian's lines about false hope drag me back to earth.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st 05, 10:33   #14
GaribaldisHair
First One

I'm with snockit on this one. With the benefit of hindsight, I think the use of the JtR character is perfect, because it beautifully foreshadows what the shadow war is really all about.

Sebastian/Jack killed because, from his point of view, he was doing a good thing ... the right thing.

The Vorlons sought to bring the younger races into order and obedience because, from their point of view, they were doing a good thing ... the right thing.

The Shadows sought to create tension and war between the younger races because, from their point of view, they were doing a good thing ... the right thing.

Jack was a good character for this because history just views him as a monster, which of course was how we viewed the shadows at this point in the story, whereas JMS showed him as far more complex than that and acting on his point of view rather than a monster who simply killed for the sake of killing.

And as far as Sheridan and Delenn were concerned, I think they didn't question the Vorlons' tactics because they still viewed them as the key to everything ... don't forget Sheridan had only just been let in on the shadows presence and what they were up to. As far as they were concerned, without the Vorlons they didn't stand a chance.

All just MHO of course.
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st 05, 17:58   #15
sleepy_shadow
Psi Cop

I personally... perceive this episode as a failure. Acting can be fine, but when the scenario is implausible... it won't help.

It seems utterly implausible that even a person/persons desperate for an ally... would not reject, and indeed take a very long distance from an "ally", should mentioned "ally" demonstrate their spectrum of accepted methods towards a potential supporter (not to speak of neutrals or enemies)... with this kind of striking clarity.

While the rest of the series depicts Delenn and Sheridan as fairly intelligent persons... this episode, in rather steep contrast, paints them as simpletons, unable to connect two dots, or conclude that a corrupt ally is worthless.

Fully aware that characters are *not* supposed to think even slightly like a viewer... this part of story leaves me confused as to how provocations, actions and conflicts have consequences during most other times, but not during this episode.

I watched the episode alright. (There never was an epsisode of Babylon 5 which I'd have skipped of disinterest.) But how the story proceeded before, and proceeds after this episode... seems notably disconnected from the conflicts and fissures depicted during this episode.

It's almost like someone had pressed a "Reset" button immediately after the ending credits.
sleepy_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st 05, 18:54   #16
fisheggs
Techno-mage

Sorry Sleepy, but gotta disagree on this. As far as Sheridan and (esp) Delenn knew, this was a war against Life itself Remember, the Vorlon were involved with the Mimbari during the "last great war" as allies and so had a history and to Humans they were a mystery, though known to be very powerful and the Shadow were a complete unknown at this point. It was during this episode that Sheridan and Delenn became "closer" which definitely affected the rest of the series IMHO.
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st 05, 19:12   #17
RW7427

Yeah, this ep kinda signifies the closeness that Sheridan and Delenn had and kinda "sets the tone" so to speak for their future relationship.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st 05, 19:14   #18
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
kinda "sets the tone" so to speak for their future relationship.
Hmm... then I wonder if Sheridan's "woo-hoo" was a reaction to S&M.
I never figured the Minbari to be into that stuff...
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st 05, 19:29   #19
fisheggs
Techno-mage

Quote:
Quote:
kinda "sets the tone" so to speak for their future relationship.
Hmm... then I wonder if Sheridan's "woo-hoo" was a reaction to S&M.
I never figured the Minbari to be into that stuff...

Projecting are we?
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st 05, 20:15   #20
GKarsEye
First One

Nah, not into that stuff, but I'm make an exception for Delenn.

I bet S&M with a Minbari would be the most painful, because they take so damn long to do everything.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote