B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: In The Shadow Of Z'ha'dum
A -- Excellent 28 93.33%
B -- Good 2 6.67%
C -- Average 0 0%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 23rd 05, 12:30   #11
The_One
First One

Re: EpDis: The Long, Twilight Struggle

This is actually my favourite episode of the entire 5 year run. It just pushes all the characters to their limits, moves the plot along, has some of the best writing, and is brilliantly directed.

The bombing of the Narn homeworld and the council scene later in the episode almost always move me to tears. Andreas and Peter put on a striking performance, and by the end of the episode, it's been re-inforced that it *is* indeed the best television show ever.

I'm glad I got this one on DVD, as my VHS was really beginning to show its age
The_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 05, 16:29   #12
RW7427

Quote:
One thing that had always puzzled me though. The great 'Forbidden Planet'-esque chambers in Epsilon 3 seem to have had a makeover since season 1. Are we to assume that Draal redecorated, of did the SFX people forget what it looked like? I much preferred the season 1 look. Also, its gone from being five miles below the surface to just three miles.
Draal probably redecorated. Even he looks different than he did in season 1. (Different actor of course. )
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th 05, 11:06   #13
deaded
Telepath

This episode is where I first noticed greatness.
deaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th 05, 14:27   #14
hypatia
First One

The picture of Londo looking out the window at the devastation he has brought about and G'kar's quote make this one of the great episodes of the series, that is for sure.

"No dictator... no invader... can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand. The Centauri learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free."
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th 06, 05:17   #15
RW7427

I watched this ep tonight, and even after having seen it more times than I can count, I still get goosebumps from watching it! The battle scenes are superb!
Old April 26th 06, 17:16   #16
B5_Obsessed
First One

Quote:
I watched this ep tonight, and even after having seen it more times than I can count, I still get goosebumps from watching it! The battle scenes are superb!
As do I, every time. <brrrr>
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st 06, 13:24   #17
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Every time I see the Narn fleet trying to escape, I keep thinking, "Come on... come on..." even though I know they won't make it.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st 06, 15:37   #18
RW7427

I just think, "You guys are toast".
Old May 10th 06, 11:00   #19
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

I think this episode confirmed for me how much I loved this show, i remeber taping it and watching it half a dozen times. The two main effects sequences are superb. The plot threads of Sheridan's conspiracy and the Narn war coming together was also a great moment...
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st 10, 21:07   #20
Estelyn
Commander

This is definitely one of the top episodes of the second season! The overall impression is that of character development - the attention is spread out rather than concentrated on one or two persons. Sheridan and Delenn's relationship is developing, not always so obviously as to be emphasized, but noticeably. Delenn is being shown as a strong character, what with the leadership of the Rangers.

Lord Refa's role is developed and his machinations and behind the scene scheming are shown. Londo is torn between two attitudes - the lighting during his scene with Refa is starkly contrasting, showing the juxtaposition of light and shadow.

G'Kar is developing away from the militant leader to a more spiritual role - he is praying, not fighting, during this episode. He is more thoughtful and sad than we've seen him before.

There are two "too late"s in this episode, a theme that pops up frequently. G'Kar's warning to his people is too late, they cannot or will not change their plans at the last minute. Refa tells Londo it's too late for him to reconsider his actions.

Does anyone know if there was a reason for the change in actors for Draal? The explanation given does pick it up and integrate it into the story.

I must chime in with the many who have mentioned the scene where Londo looks out of the spaceship window - that is brilliant acting and directing, and writing too.

The candles going out and being snuffed at the end are a wonderfully symbolic image!