B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Gumbel, Gumbel, or Gumble...who's your favorite?
A -- Excellent 4 14.29%
B -- Good 19 67.86%
C -- Average 5 17.86%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26th 05, 07:22   #11
deaded
Telepath

Re: EpDis: A Distant Star

Wow.

It would take a P-12 to make that many people think he was good. You all must have been in the same place at one point in time. Otherwise tihs conspiracy is much bigger than I thought.
deaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 05, 08:00   #12
vacantlook

I'm there too in not much liking the guest characters of the episode, including the guy who played Maynard. I love the design of the Explorer ship though.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 05, 15:42   #13
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Russ Tamblyn (Amber Tamblyn of Joan of Arcadia's father) was the lead role in West Side Story, and he was very good in that. Of course he was playing a punk in that, which is, I imagine, much different than playing a Starship Captain.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 05, 15:59   #14
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
Russ Tamblyn was the lead role in West Side Story, and he was very good in that.
I wouldn't describe Riff as "the lead role" in West Side Story. Tony and Maria are the leads. Riff is in with Bernardo and Anita as the first tier of supporting roles. (Chakiris and Moreno won the Supporting Actor and Suportting Actress Oscars for Bernardo and Anita.) I mean, nobody describes Mercutio as "the lead role" in Romeo and Juliet.

Of course, Riff is the leader if the Jets. And Tamblyn did a good job with it.

Until I looked at the filmography I hadn't connected him to having played the youngest brother in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers several years earlier.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 05, 16:36   #15
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Yea, you're right. I never really thought of Tony as the lead actor though, for some reason, even though he obviously is.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 05, 17:19   #16
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Probably because when they are both (Riff & Tony) on screen, Riff is the much stronger presense .... the one that tends to hold your attention. Same thing, most of the time, when Tony is on screen with Maria (Natalie Wood). Even Doc completely steals the scene from Tony in the scene when Doc tells Tony that Maria is dead.

WSS is a great movie, but the casting of Tony always seemed to me to be a little bit weak. It seemed to be crying out for someone like James Dean .... if he was still alive .... and could sing and dance.

Well, maybe the singing part isn't necessary. Natalie Wood didn't sing Maria's songs (or at least it isn't her voice that made into the final soundtrack of the movie). :P
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 05, 19:09   #17
B5_Obsessed
First One

Quote:
Well, maybe the singing part isn't necessary. Natalie Wood didn't sing Maria's songs (or at least it isn't her voice that made into the final soundtrack of the movie). :P
Richard Beymer's (Tony) songs were actually sung by someone named Jimmy Bryant. Beymer was great in Twin Peaks as dirty dealer Benjamin Horn. Russ Tamblyn, now 71, was also in Twin Peaks as the loopy Dr. Lawrence Jacoby.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 05, 22:36   #18
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

The whole casting vs. singing thing for West Side Story is a tale in and of itself.

Clearly Tamblyn was good enough to survive in the business for forty years or so. You'd think the total idiots would have been weeded out after that ammount of time -- especially if they don't have huge... tracts of land.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th 07, 23:15   #19
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Two big beefs with this one.

*) Explorer ship. Big badass ship that goes out to explore the rim of the galaxy, all on its own. And it doesn't seem to have a jump engine. Eh??

*) The Cortez. Okay. They named a ship after Hernándo Cortez. What are its sister ships, the Hitler and the Genghis Khan?
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th 07, 00:07   #20
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
*) Explorer ship. Big badass ship that goes out to explore the rim of the galaxy, all on its own. And it doesn't seem to have a jump engine. Eh??
What makes you think it didn't have a jump engine?
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote