B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Favorite recurring character: Season 3
A -- Excellent 2 4.17%
B -- Good 11 22.92%
C -- Average 14 29.17%
D -- Poor 17 35.42%
F -- Failure 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 26th 04, 21:11   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: TKO

So, now we're on to TKO.

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for TKO
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for TKO
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th 04, 21:18   #2
vacantlook

Re: EpDis: TKO

I can't help it; I just don't like "TKO." Ivanova being sad over her father's death and finally dealing with her emotions over it is good, but it's just not enough for me to like the episode as a whole. Her calling out to her uncle as he's about to leave to instead stay and help her mourn is too melodramatic for me. I do like that Sinclair wants to attend to show his support for Ivanova.

I don't like the mutai plot at all. If it had been less boxingy, I might have liked it more. Also, the cultures of the mutai just feels as cheap-plasticy as the religion of the aliens in "Believers" to me. Of course there is the foreshadowing statement of "Watch your back," but it's not enough for me to get much out of the mutai plot.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th 04, 00:07   #3
Ninja_Squirrel
First One

I don't like sports, especially boxing and other forms of fighting, but oddly, the Mutai doesn't bother me that bad. The part I don't like is that it is never explained exactually which races can participate in the Mutai and what disqualifies Humans. Also, are Humans the only ones disqualified? Is the Mutai a League thing, so Minbari, Centauri, and Narn are also excluded? Or, is it just Humans who can't participate? If so, is it about damaged pride knowing Humans bailed the others out of the Dilgar War? The concept is never fleshed out to my liking.

Also, it would be nice if the alien fighting styles were more...alien.

However, I love Ivanova's subplot. It may not deepen her character in a way that comes up later in the series, but sometimes character development is about coping with the short-term ordeals. I like learning about her family and her religious beliefs. It's the type of thing you would rarely, if ever, see on Star Trek except maybe in an alien culture.

I don't know why I like this episode when most people don't, but I would have to give it a B-.
Ninja_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th 04, 10:04   #4
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Also, it would be nice if the alien fighting styles were more...alien.
I don't think it would work so well. For one thing, they tried that when GKar was fighting other Narn and it looked retarded. More importantly, how different can fighting really be? Yes, there are different styles, but as long as we're dealing with bipeds who are all really pretty close in size proportionally, they're not going to develop radically different fighting motions.

Quote:
However, I love Ivanova's subplot. It may not deepen her character in a way that comes up later in the series,
Actually I think it does, if indirectly. It continues the theme of Ivanova constantly losing people she cares about. It makes the eventual death of Markas that much more poignant.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th 04, 12:05   #5
RW7427

I like this ep.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th 04, 19:16   #6
fisheggs
Techno-mage

I liked it. I didn't love it. Still better than 90% of the dreck out there, tried to make you think.
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th 04, 12:34   #7
aajay
Ranger

I liked the Ivannova plot from the 1st time I saw the episode. Loved the scene in Fresh Air when Susan and her uncle tried to figure out if something (treel??) was kosher!The mutai plot has started to grow on me.
A good, not great, episode.
aajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th 04, 15:33   #8
B5_Obsessed
First One

Quote:
Yes, there are different styles, but as long as we're dealing with bipeds who are all really pretty close in size proportionally, they're not going to develop radically different fighting motions.
Unless you count "Drunken Master".

For all of it's cheese, including the cheesiest human/alien joint thumbs up scene between Garibaldi and Don Stroud's character, I've always liked it. It's probably because my expectations of B5 were not very high in the beginning, so I enjoyed the goofy white-blood-spewing action and Ivanova's jewish angst. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a Rocky IV immitation.

"You imbecile! They cheer for HIM!"
Roc-KY!
Roc-KY!

I mean, SMITH! SMITH!

What I find even more funny about this episode was the fact that they got THEEEE most japanese sounding guy to play Mutah-do (was I even close?), the Mutai Leader.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th 04, 22:10   #9
RW7427

Quote:
I liked the Ivannova plot from the 1st time I saw the episode. Loved the scene in Fresh Air when Susan and her uncle tried to figure out if something (treel??) was kosher!The mutai plot has started to grow on me.
A good, not great, episode.
I like the Ivanova plot too.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th 04, 16:43   #10
Quagmire
First One

Ivonova part was good.

I'm still waiting for soem distant voice to yell "Mortal Comabat" for the other part. Cheese.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote