B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Deathwalker
A -- Excellent 8 24.24%
B -- Good 15 45.45%
C -- Average 9 27.27%
D -- Poor 1 3.03%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 10th 04, 10:49   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: By Any Means Necessary

Time for another; this time By Any Means Necessary. In light of the potentiality of some people being out of touch with B5 fans as being discussed in other threads here, it feels fitting as this episode deals with an Earth government out of touch with working class Earth citizens.

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for By Any Means Necessary
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for By Any Means Necessary
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th 04, 10:57   #2
vacantlook

Re: EpDis: By Any Means Necessary

I personally really love "By Any Means Necessary." I like that it deals with a story that's not galactic in nature, but one of society. It helps to make Babylon 5 feel realistic.

I liked Ms Connally as a guest character and how much she stood up for the workers. How the Senate tried to pass the buck on to Sinclair over the funding and operating issues was angering, so it was great in the end when Sinclair found a means to both give the workers what they needed and to say bite me to EarthGov.

We also get some of Narn religious observances in this episode, which is something that was missing from the demonstration of religions in "The Parliament Of Dreams."

So yeah, I like this episode.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th 04, 10:57   #3
GKarsEye
First One

I like it a lot. It makes the station feel "real." There are people that actually make the station run, doing all the mundane things that actually make things happen. I also appreciate that the Docker's Guild is mentioned throughout the series.

The only "problem" I had with it is that the dock workers were actually too accepting. They really did put up with a lot of shit, especially the big guy who's brother died. I can't imagine still workign in a place like that.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th 04, 13:51   #4
RMcD
First One

It's a very good episode.. as everyone is saying, it does make the B5 universe seem very real, very down to earth. Budgets, oversight committees, unions etc. don't sound gripping, but somehow it works. I love the little details in this episode - such as the fact that B5 has its own financial channel. Also, don't forget the sub-plot in which G'Kar and Londo steal each other's icons. Another early glimpse of G'kar's spiritual side (and Sinclair's, for that matter)..
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th 04, 16:05   #5
GreenMonkey
Lurker

The story is fine, it does help make B5 seem more real, etc. But I don't see any real character development, nor any subplot that helps a larger story arc - the reasons why I like B5 so much. I gave it a C. At least it didn't suck like "Grey 17 is missing" or "Infection".
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th 04, 16:14   #6
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
nor any subplot that helps a larger story arc
As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, Sinclair's solution to the problem made many political enemies on Earth. It's one of the key reasons for the investigation in Eyes. It's also possibly part of the reason he was sent to Minbar and they replaced him with someone they thought would be more willing to play along.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th 04, 19:00   #7
RW7427

I voted C because it's not really one of my favs.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th 04, 19:33   #8
Shaal Mayan
First One

I voted B this is a good ep and shows a side not scene to often the less glamerous side to station workers the everyday man or woman .
Shaal Mayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th 04, 19:36   #9
hypatia
First One

An episode about an uncaring and cruel 'administration' which is outwitted by our show's hero?

I thought it was great, of course.

I do adore the "before you give a guy a gun, make sure you know where he'll aim it" theme.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th 04, 07:53   #10
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I gave it a C, but now I'm regretting that. I do enjoy it, mostly for the reasons already given... just not as much as some others.

The thing I remember most about this episode, though, is that it's right before Signs and Portents.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote