B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The War Prayer
A -- Excellent 6 17.14%
B -- Good 9 25.71%
C -- Average 11 31.43%
D -- Poor 6 17.14%
F -- Failure 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 24th 04, 20:13   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: Believers

Next is Believers.

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for Believers
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for Believers
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th 04, 20:22   #2
vacantlook

Re: EpDis: Believers

"Believers" is an "ok" episode for me. I like that the resolution of the plot isn't a "pretty" one; there's no easy answer.

I liked the series of scenes of the parents going from one ambassador to another trying to get someone to speak for them and how none of them would jump onboard. Kosh's line "The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote," while being typically Vorlon, I think it also hints at perhaps some underlying regret or similar emotion from Kosh over his own instance of requiring medical intervention against the wishes of others.

It was a very good episode for Franklin and gave a lot for Rick to chew on as an actor.

What keeps me from viewing this episode as stellar though has a lot to do with finding the acting of the Shon character to be rather weak. Also, the that the religion of the aliens feels just sort of slapped together to suit a one-use need for this episode. I'd imagine there are plenty of people who disagree with me on this issue of their religion, but it's how it seems for me. I guess for so much of this episode's plot being reliant upon the "alienness" of the aliens, it just didn't feel alien enough for me. It might just be a side-effect of a one-shot alien culture since it's something that's gotten me about a whole lot of aliens in various episodes of Star Trek too.

So, for me, it's balances out to an average episode.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th 04, 04:26   #3
RMcD
First One

A family of aliens with lumpy foreheads and a moral dilemma get lost on their way to an episode of Star Trek TNG and end up on Babylon 5 instead.. Sadly for them, B5 is a much darker and more complex place.. Brilliant stuff, well-written by Peter David, one of my favourite standalone episodes..
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th 04, 06:15   #4
JBonetati
First One

Quote:
A family of aliens with lumpy foreheads and a moral dilemma get lost on their way to an episode of Star Trek TNG and end up on Babylon 5 instead.. Sadly for them, B5 is a much darker and more complex place.. Brilliant stuff, well-written by Peter David, one of my favourite standalone episodes..
Written by David Gerrold, actually.

Jan
JBonetati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th 04, 06:26   #5
RMcD
First One

Quote:
Written by David Gerrold, actually.

Jan
Oops, sorry..

Could anyone explain Fingel (sp?) eggs? And Shakespeare corporation? I think they may be references but I don't know what to.
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th 04, 11:46   #6
Shaal Mayan
First One

I give this one and average grade but the ending can be a point of debate on whether Franklin was right or wrong.
Shaal Mayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th 04, 12:13   #7
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas

I gave this one a C. Generally speaking, unless there's a really interesting twist to the storyline, I find all "science over religion" stories to be rather boring.

That said, I thought that the interaction between the parents and Franklin was well done.
Markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th 04, 14:09   #8
rangerPHIL
Dead Account

The Fact that the parents were actually prepared to murder their own child ( even if they no longer believed it to be such ) was for me a powerful moment and thus pushes me to give believers a B.

rangerPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th 04, 07:57   #9
macmaccaman
Ranger

One of a few episodes I can happily skip without watching again - gimme Grail anyday. David Gerrold should stick to tribbles, correct???
macmaccaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th 04, 09:50   #10
JBonetati
First One

Quote:
One of a few episodes I can happily skip without watching again - gimme Grail anyday. David Gerrold should stick to tribbles, correct???
Nope. His Chtorr series is wonderful.

Jan
JBonetati is offline   Reply With Quote