B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Mind War
A -- Excellent 16 41.03%
B -- Good 16 41.03%
C -- Average 7 17.95%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 19th 04, 11:25   #21
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Re: EpDis: Deathwalker

I thought it was the Humans that made Sol go Nova in DoFS, because we were ready to move into the Vorlon home Planet, and wanted to keep Earth out of the wrong hands?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 11:30   #22
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas

If they can open a gateway to another dimension, making a sun go nova is well within a first one's power.
Markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 11:31   #23
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
Apparently they did. And decided the best way to acquire new habitable systems... was taking by force.

Which would explain why Deathwalker was developing pathogens to wipeout the populations of entire planets. They did not want slaves just the land.

Since the Dilgar ended up with all the members of the non-alighted worlds against them it sounds like they failed to stop when they were ahead.
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 11:49   #24
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Not neccessarily, it could have been caused by them, or it could have been caused by, say the Vorlons? Perhaps the Jhadur wasn't the first Dilgar that the Vorlons disposed of, but, rather the last?
This wouldn't jibe with the "historical" importance of Earth saving the non-Allied worlds from the Dilgar, which made humans a major political force. Unless maybe the Vorlons decided to wipe out the Dilgar after they had already been beaten, but that ain't their style. I don't think they would even give a shit.

Quote:
I thought it was the Humans that made Sol go Nova in DoFS, because we were ready to move into the Vorlon home Planet, and wanted to keep Earth out of the wrong hands?
I don't remember anything in that episode that implied or indicated that humans caused it to go nova. And why would they- if the Vorlons kept their home planet secure, why wouldn't humans?

However, our sun won't go nova for billions of years, so making it go nova that soon is either, as you say, man-made (hardly the action the peaceful, enlightened race depicted in DoFS) or just a scientific gaffe by the show.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 12:00   #25
Sindatur
Techno-mage

From Lurker's Guide, JMS Speak, Episode DoFS

Complaint/Question: "My personal nit is that JMS has the sun going nova in only a million years. This seems several orders of magnitude too soon for me."
JMS: Actually, the computer voice specifies that it is continuing to note atypical solar emissions...atypical meaning something unusual is going on.

And what if you, say, interfered substantially with the mass of the sun by, say, causing a series of jump points to open up *inside* the sun across several days?

You'd also substantially decrease the mass of Sol, which as I understand it, would result in the sun going nova.

Not, concrete, but I knew I got the impression from somewhere.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 12:01   #26
hypatia
First One

Or simply a thought JMS never chose to follow up on. I would think the world of possibilities in science fiction could come up with a plausible explanation. An experiment gone horribly wrong.

I assumed, as has been mentioned, the Dilgar became so aggressive because they knew their days were numbered. Is it possible the worlds they were so terrible to simply did not let them leave? I suppose not
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 15:43   #27
FreeBaGeL
Commander

Quote:
Not neccessarily, it could have been caused by them, or it could have been caused by, say the Vorlons? Perhaps the Jhadur wasn't the first Dilgar that the Vorlons disposed of, but, rather the last?
This doesn't really fit with the rest of the story. If the Vorlons could make a sun go Nova, why would they even bother making the giant planet killers later in the series, when they could just nova the star of that planet?
FreeBaGeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 15:52   #28
GKarsEye
First One

Because that would annihilate an entire solar system, when maybe they only want to take out the one planet.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 16:01   #29
vacantlook

Anyone think that perhaps the Dilgar were being influenced and groomed by agents of the Shadows in hopes that the Dilgar would be the race they could use to start kicking over ant hills, but with the Dilgar getting beatened, they eventually went looking for new ones and decided on the Centauri?
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 16:33   #30
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
I think J'hadur accepted that she was evil.
I don't so. I think that she considered herself to be similar to everyone else, relative to the capacity for good and evil. It was just that she had this vision about immortality that rendered her actions acceptable (in an "ends justifies the means" sort of way). A fair portion of her point in supplying the drug to the other races after the fact was to prove that they would all act the same way that she had, when a similar goal was presented. It would prove that she wasn't any worse than anybody else.

Now, she had long since accepted that everybody else though of her as being evil. That is kinda the starting point for trying to prove that everybody else is the same as you are.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote