B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Mind War
A -- Excellent 16 41.03%
B -- Good 16 41.03%
C -- Average 7 17.95%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 19th 04, 03:38   #11
Granite
Ranger

Re: EpDis: Deathwalker

I like the little notes on just how sadistic deathwalker was.

"She infected the entire planet of Arkata 7(?) with Stafford's Plague just to see how long it would take them all to die"
Granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 08:56   #12
hypatia
First One

That's of course a reference to that unbelieveably horrible Nazi who conducted bizarre experiments on Jews in WWII, I suspect. Same idea taken to ridiculous extremes in terms of population.

I liked the point that she made in the end. I forget the exact line, but 'like us? You will become us'. It's a lesson I have to remind myself of quite a lot these days. If you adopt the methods of yoru enemy, you start to become your enemy.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 10:28   #13
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
Even better than a villian you can hate is a villian that has a personaility and doesn't see themselves as evil. Of course acting that can be difficult.
I think J'hadur accepted that she was evil. She didn't care about the lives of those outside of her race, and since they're destroyed, she might as well take everyone down with her, even if she's not around to see it. Her boasted was not that she wasn't evil, rather that she is and those around are also but are too hypocritical to admit it.

By the way, what did happen to the Dilgar? It seemed implied that they were completely wiped out- if so, how? Even after losing a devastating war, some remnants of the population survive. The only way to wipe out a species completely is with a supremely contagious incurable airborne disease with a 100% fatality rate (like the Markab).

Hyp, the Nazi war criminal you're thinking of was Joseph Mengel(sp?), who "experimented" with concentration camp prisoners.
(I was starting to type some of his actions, but I just ate breakfast...)
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 10:41   #14
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
By the way, what did happen to the Dilgar? It seemed implied that they were completely wiped out- if so, how? Even after losing a devastating war, some remnants of the population survive. The only way to wipe out a species completely is with a supremely contagious incurable airborne disease with a 100% fatality rate (like the Markab).

I think the sun went nova.
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 11:13   #15
RW7427

I remember Dr. Franklin saying that what Dilgar that weren't killed in their wars with the League Worlds and the Earth Alliance died when their sun went nova and wiped out their planet.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 11:22   #16
GKarsEye
First One

I do remember that now, thanks.

But it seems completely silly to me. Wouldn't they have known about their sun going nova for decades, even generations before the war? They would have spent that time getting the hell away from that star, not invading other people.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 11:36   #17
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas

It was Dr. Josef Mengele; here is a pretty good overview of his...work.

I agree that it is silly that all of the Dilgar would have perished in a nova of their sun. It's not that big of a surprise, unless someone made it go nova. There is not enough data to know. I suppose if they were as ethno or species-centric as they appeared to be, it's possible that they did not mingle in places with others.

A bit of a plot hole, I think.
Markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 11:50   #18
sleepy_shadow
Psi Cop

Quote:
Wouldn't they have known about their sun going nova for decades, even generations before the war?
Apparently they did. And decided the best way to acquire new habitable systems... was taking by force.

During which they wasted the resources to peacefully secure a new planet or two (or provided technical expertise, create stations/ships/orbitals to manage without).
sleepy_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 11:51   #19
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Not neccessarily, it could have been caused by them, or it could have been caused by, say the Vorlons? Perhaps the Jhadur wasn't the first Dilgar that the Vorlons disposed of, but, rather the last?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 04, 12:18   #20
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

The Dilgar sun went nova, yes -- and in Deconstruction of Falling Stars our very own sun goes nova somewhat unexpectedly. Evidently someone in the B5 universe has a habit of blowing up stars.

I think making a sun go nova was a little beyond the Vorlon's power, but as G'Kar says, perhaps "There's someone else out there..."
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote