B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The Gathering
A -- Excellent 5 12.20%
B -- Good 21 51.22%
C -- Average 13 31.71%
D -- Poor 2 4.88%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 12th 04, 23:55   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: Born To The Purple

Continuing along, we have Born To The Purple.

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for Born To The Purple
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for Born To The Purple
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th 04, 00:13   #2
vacantlook

Re: EpDis: Born To The Purple

I really love "Born To The Purple." It's a full-on character story; we get hit twice by Londo and by Ivanova.

I love seeing Londo's depth in this ep. With his hair for some reason easily able to get viewers to dismiss him, and his drunken bafoonery potentially limiting his character, this episode helps being so early in the viewing order to boldy announce that Londo is a character of depth.

Seeing his love for Adira is wistful and tragic in a way. "Appearances be damned!" he tells her. If only over the course of the show he could have adhered to that personal philosophy more. We see more of Londo's opinion of himself: that he's washed-up, that he is worrisome of the state his society is in, and that he wishes for things to be different. It is all this that makes him the prey of others later in the series.

And then we have Ivanova secretly getting in contact with her father back on Earth, and eventually watching him die in their final conversation. Her last remaining immediate family member is gone. Claudia does great and brings tremendous vulnerability to the character in this episode. And Garibaldi's reaction once he cracks the blocks during Ivanova's final conversation as he watches the conversation as well as his reaction of telling Ivanova he knows without actually saying it strengthen his character as well.

Adira's character was great, I thought, for being a guest character. A character that's a slave can easily turn into nothing but a huge stereotype, but Adira is kept from being such. I get the feeling when I watch this episode that while Adira is a slave and an erotic dancer, she has a considerable amount of dignity for herself yet simultaneously feels the scorn and contempt toward her from so much of the rest of her society. That she is able to gain her freedom in the end is heartwarming and doesn't feel cliche for a slave character.

Oh, and we get to meet the short-lived Miss Ko'Dath.
Old October 13th 04, 00:17   #3
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas

I rated it "good". I enjoyed the ep mostly for the backstory on Centauri politics. It was also nice to see Londo actually happy.
Markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th 04, 08:13   #4
Shaal Mayan
First One

I gave this one an excellant grade it was nice seeing Londo really fall in love and be happy and I loved Adira the fact she got her freedom at the end was touching.But knowing her final fate is sad.Ivanova's father dying in a hospitol after a long illness it seems was very touching for me as well as the character of susan ivanova.
Shaal Mayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th 04, 11:04   #5
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

My favorite part of this episode is the title, given that it foreshadows Londo's rise to being emperor.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th 04, 17:28   #6
RW7427

This is an entertaining episode. It's not one of the best, but it's still good watching!
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th 04, 20:27   #7
phoenixrising
Telepath

I gave this one a B. It was nice seeing what a true romantic Londo is (and heartbreaking in retrospect). It was alos nice seeing how much Sinclair knows about his station, even the seedy parts.

Favorite line: 'And you can kiss my plump Centauri...ahhhh.'
phoenixrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st 04, 22:55   #8
Granite
Ranger

Question on episode:

During Londo's final kiss with Adira, why does he leave his eyes open when he kisses her. Did Peter Jurasik not like the Actress or something?
Granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st 04, 23:03   #9
vacantlook

You've never kissed someone with your eyes open just to be able to watch them kissing you with their eyes closed?

I have.
Old October 22nd 04, 10:39   #10
RW7427

I like the Londo and Adira scenes, but my question is this....

What would this Trakis fellow want from the Centauri? Why was he willing to damage the career of the Centauri Ambassador to Babylon 5? Did he have some personal grudge against the Centauri? Was his homeworld one of the worlds that the Centauri controlled? I never did figure that out.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote