B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Keep Chapel
A -- Excellent 11 17.19%
B -- Good 33 51.56%
C -- Average 20 31.25%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 1st 04, 21:25   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: The Gathering

I thought it might be kinda fun, should anyone feel like participating, to have a bit of a poll/thread discussion for each episode of Babylon 5 every few days or once a week or whatever.

Of course this could totally flop and few to no one be interested, but I thought I'd see if anyone else would like to chime in either with comments or with simply casting their vote in the poll.

I'm gonna do both a The Gathering poll and a Midnight On The Firing Line poll thread at the same time since The Gathering isn't technically an episode of the show.

So, how about it? What is your opinion of The Gathering?

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for The Gathering
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for The Gathering
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st 04, 21:51   #2
vacantlook

Re: EpDis: The Gathering

I gave "The Gathering" an A. It wasn't perfect, by any means, but I've always found it to be excellent, especially for a pilot-movie.

The first time I saw it, though I didn't quite get it the way I get it now (I was only 13 years old when it was first broadcast), but I was blown away. To that point, the major points of exposure to science fiction that I had had were the original Star Trek, Star Trek The Next Generation, and Star Wars. In part, I would even go so far as to say that I grew up on ST:TNG.

But then I watched "The Gathering," and my mind just kind of had a barrier taken away in terms of what I thought possible with scifi shows/movies. I liked the darkness of the sets, the loads of different types of characters, and the CGI space effects.

With TNG, the interior of the ship is endlessly bright and bouncy, but the station in "The Gathering" was dark. I think it helped set me up for a different tonality to the show as a whole: the universe wasn't pristine in Babylon 5.

In B5, only a few of the main characters were a part of the same organization. That certainly set up all the characters to have different perspectives and gave incredible potential for some sizeable and resounding conflicts. With ST, the conflicts all too often came from outside the group of main characters, be it from a guest character or from some situation the group as a whole suddenly found themselves in.

And then there's the CGI space effects. I think seeing Kosh's ship the first time was one of the highest points in watching "The Gathering" the first time. I never even conceived that a ship could look as interesting and different and complex as his did. It wasn't a model, and that gave it life to me. And the major camera zooms from far out to close in on C&C and vice versa were another CGI element of "The Gathering" that I really latched onto when I first saw it. It felt so significantly different than anything I had seen before, and it amazed me.

It was completely successful in grabbing ahold of me and keeping me as a fan of the show from that first viewing and onward.
Old October 2nd 04, 11:08   #3
Shaal Mayan
First One

Gave it an A great set up to even greater story of Babylon 5.Interresting and well thought out for a pilot.
Shaal Mayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd 04, 01:06   #4
Jade Jaguar
First One

I gave it a B. When I watched the original Gathering, I thought it showed potential, but wasn't truly great. That came later.
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd 04, 03:06   #5
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas

I gave The Gathering a C. It was an adequate story. It's amazing what came after it. I'm glad I saw it when it first aired. It was just enough to get me to come back for more.
Markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd 04, 20:48   #6
RW7427

I wouldn't say The Gathering is great, and it's not one of my favorite B5 movies, but I like it well enough to grade it a B.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th 04, 07:16   #7
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

I gave it a B, Good. I enjoyed it a lot, one of the better sc-fi pilots i've seen.
Great idea by the way.
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th 04, 13:51   #8
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I've only seen the original version, and that was years ago... I'm not sure what to think of it now.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th 04, 20:25   #9
fisheggs
Techno-mage

B. Lead to great things, but was "murky" I like dark ( anyone else like "Millenium"? but it didn't really "stand out". Sinclair also wasn't particularily "sympathetic". He did get better. I was still better than what was out there then!
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th 04, 20:38   #10
vacantlook

For a scene that I found really good for Sinclair in "The Gathering," I turn to the longer 2.0 version of the scene where he tells Carolyn about the Battle of the Line.