• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Eureka (2006-2012)

So I finished my October 31 Horror Movie Marathon last night with TRAIN TO BUSAN (2016). It was pretty good. I would give it a 9/10. The only reason I didn't give it 10/10 was because things didn't happen the way I wanted them to. :LOL:

If you enjoy a good zombie movie then this one is for you. I'm sure anyone familiar with the Horror Sub-Genre would rank this a minimum of 7/10.

Okay now that I won't be so focused on watching Horror movies I haven't seen I'm sure I'll be starting Eureka Season 2 any day now. I also just started a new B5 Re-Watch with a new order posted by gs4291 over on JMS NEWS, so we'll see how that goes. :)

SEASON 2
EPISODE 1
PHOENIX RISING

B5 GUEST STAR SIGHTING TAMLYN TOMITA

IMDB SYNOPSIS: Henry and Jack struggle to deal with their losses as people begin burning to death for no apparent reason. At Global, Stark awaits the decision of the DOD.

LIKED..... / DIDN'T LIKE .....
I have to say I wasn't thrilled with this episode, so there was plenty I didn't like. Actually I may just have been in a foul mood or something because there really wasn't anything better or worse than any other episode. I guess on the whole it was just a very BLAH season opener.

Spoiler for spoiler:
I really hate that they are pointing to Henry becoming villainous. I also think it is ridiculous that he is going to make this transition and now he is the only person who will know why he is different. I can't stand that for some reason. I guess I am upset because he was my favorite character and I felt Season One didn't utilize him enough and now Season Two looks like he will be a character I don't like.

Oh and to address something I said in my previous entry about 1.12.

Spoiler for spoiler:
Henry sent Jack back, so I guess it makes sense that he would know what happened, but why does Henry know. They negated the idea that maybe Jack told Henry what happened because Henry has now changed for Season Two because he remembers the life he lost with Kim. SO how does he remember?! Jack it makes sense, but if Henry remembers they all should remember.

​EPISODE 2.2
TRY, AND TRY AGAIN

B5 GUEST STAR SIGHTING (kind of) TAMLYN TOMITA (Uncredited). Henry watches footage of her on a screen. I believe it is something we haven't seen before, but she does not get credited for the episode.

IMDB SYNOPSIS: When Fargo activates a mysterious device on Allison's first day, he endangers not only himself, but Global Dynamics and Eureka as well.

LIKED....
I REALLY liked this entire episode. The comedy was good. Everything worked for me. It was very refreshing after being a bit disappointed with the season opener.

DIDN'T LIKE.....
The location of Allison Blake's new office seemed a bit ridiculous. Trying to wrap my head around the point of it. I can only assume it is involved with an upcoming plot or they wanted it to seem like Carter had easier access to it or something.

On the whole this was probably one of my favorite episodes. I feel like everything worked across the board and I am very glad there was finally a big revelation with regard to the villainy surrounding Global Dynamics.

Spoiler for spoiler:
So now someone, Henry, finally suspects Beverly Barlowe (Debrah Farentino) of something sinister. I hope this continues and she isn't able to explain it away. But since I am talking spoiler here, I really liked how they dealt with the crisis of the week. I loved how they made it seem like Fargo was the product of a joke gone horribly wrong, but then he wasn't.

EPISODE 2.3
UNPREDICTABLE

IMDB SYNOPSIS: A surprise visitor disrupts Jack and Zoe's lives; strange weather must be tracked to its source before it becomes an "ice funnel of death."

LIKED.....
I really liked most of this episode. BEST SCENE STEAL goes to Ed Quinn - Cafe Diem scene. I really like what they do with Stark and Carter. I loved seeing David Nykl in this, but it was far too brief. LOVED that Henry seemed a bit more back to normal.

DIDN'T LIKE.....
Well I am guessing you can imagine I didn't really care for the stuff with "The Carters". And Zoe seemed very different. I don't know if it is just her hair or if she is actually thinner than she has been, which doesn't seem possible. I just know there were a couple of times I questioned if it was even the same actress. It was very strange.

Spoiler for spoiler:
I really hate it when scripts create drama where there should be none. Unless they want us to think Dr. Abby Carter is so completely self-absorbed that she is a danger to herself. It is one thing to have scenes where an spouse or ex-spouse is giving grief for using work as a defense against dealing with their issues. Happens in fiction and reality all of the time, but to have them literally involved in the crisis that is distracting the person from dealing with their issues and still giving them grief is just crazy. So we, the audience, are to believe Dr. Abby Carter is crazy.
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Episode 2.4
GAMES PEOPLE PLAY

B5 GUEST STAR SIGHTING (kind of) TAMLYN TOMITA (Uncredited). Henry watches footage of her on a screen. This is likely going to keep happening this season so I am not going to mention it again unless there is something new with her.

People in Eureka start to disappear and Sheriff Carter seems to be the only person whom notices or remembers.

LIKED.....
They really like to give Ed Quinn good lines. S.A.R.A.H. gets hands down the highlight of the season in the episode with her musical ambiance moment.

DIDN'T LIKE.....
This was not my favorite episode. It was passable and it did have it's moments. As a matter of fact the S.A.R.A.H. musical interlude definitely makes the Top 5 moments in the series as of right now, but on the whole this one was HIGHLY predictable and a bit too over the top in some regards - for instance the large crowd in the waiting room scene just seemed like too much. I understand it served a purpose, but yeah it didn't seem believable.

Very disappointed this was Oliva D'Abo's final appearance. It makes ZERO sense that Dr. Abby Carter is not in this series again. I am going to assume she comes back later as a different actor, is referenced but never seen, or they kill her off.

And I also don't feel like the title of the episode fit that well. I'm not saying it didn't fit at all, but it just didn't feel to me it fit what happened enough to judge it as the title of the episode.

Last edited:
Episode 2.5
DUCK, DUCK, GOOSE

IMDB Synopsis: Debris starts raining down on Eureka on the day of the school's science fair.

LIKED.....
I REALLY enjoyed this episode. Twenty minutes in I might have said it was my favorite episode, but then it lost a little steam. Honestly I loved so much of the stuff early in this episode, but that tapered off by the end and it ended up being just an above average episode.

(I feel a bit of shame in admitting this, but I actually liked Zoe in this episode.) :rolleyes:

DIDN'T LIKE.....
The stuff the the geese seemed forced and unnecessary.
Spoiler for spoiler:
I really got the impression that they had Frewer contracted for an episode and this is what they came up with.
It wasn't bad. It just felt a bit shoved in.

On the whole Season Two is shaping up quite nicely. I am really getting into this show.

EPISODE 2.6
NOCHE DE SUENOS

(Partial) IMDB Synopsis: Groups of people begin sharing dreams in some embarrassing and conflicting ways.

LIKED.....
I liked almost everything about this episode.

DISLIKED.....
Carter's reaction while being decontaminated.
Spoiler for spoiler:
The guy was naked in front of several people he is close to and he didn't react like someone whom is suddenly naked in front of several people he knows.* It was VERY poorly done.* Carter constantly acts awkward, but this time where that should have been off the charts he just stood there.* It made no sense.

The other minor thing I would say was I wish they had done more dream stuff, but what they did was fantastic.

Overall another winner. I have to be honest I did not think I was going to like this show as much as I am, so I hope it continues.

EPISODE 2.7
FAMILY REUNION

Fargo's Grandfather is found mysteriously frozen in Cryo-Stasis after 50 years and the gang has to figure out how and why. :LOL:

LIKED.....
I think I'm falling in love with Jo (Erica Cerra) LOL. I enjoyed most of this episode, .....

DIDN'T LIKE.....
..... but I didn't really like the way they used the plot. I felt like they could have done more with it than they did. And I have no clue what was really their point with the "B" plot.

Spoiler for spoiler:
I guess it was supposed to teach Zoe a lesson, but I just felt it was unnecessary.* I don't know. It rubbed me wrong.

Having said that is still a good addition to Season 2. I would say a bit weaker episode, but this season is still shaping up well. :thumbsup:

EPISODE 2.8
E=MC...?

IMDB Synopsis When Allison puts a newly hired, but criminal, genius in Jack's care he's less than pleased, but then an accident in a lab causes most of GD to lose their smarts, and he may be the only one with the solution.

LIKED....
The humor in this episode was good. I really loved what happened to everyone and how that got related to Carter.?

DIDN'T LIKE.....
I HATE gimmicky characters!!!!!! At first I thought this new character was going to fill a necessary void (I don't recall any of the main characters claiming to be a computer expert. Different characters have done things that require computer expertise, but none of the main characters have really claimed that as their field.) Then it turned out he was a particle physicist not a computer expert - or he is both. IDK. I HATE gimmicky characters!!!!!?

?
Spoiler for spoiler:
Oooooooo I'm a rebel particle physicist expert hacker super genius pretty boy who lives by my own set of rules. I've got a criminal record, but that is because I am like Robin Hood.* OMG I hate gimmicky characters!!!!!!* I mean every character has a gimmick.* I just hate the ones that appear they came in a studio memo.* I hope I like the character because I hate the background setup.

AND the best part of the episode came in two parts.* The first part was when I believe Henry said to Carter that he must feel like this all the time.* The second part was when Stark's RC car broke. LOL*
:guffaw:

EPISODE 2.9
SIGHT UNSEEN

Invisibility makes an appearance in Eureka. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

LIKED.....
This was a pretty middle of the road episode. I did like the effects and always the humor.
Spoiler for spoiler:
I did like the stuff about the legality of invisibility. It will be interesting to see if the laws they mention come up again because I know they will do episodes on the other subjects they said had treaties.

DIDN'T LIKE.....
The relationship stuff. I see no reason to introduce any romance stuff into this show. LOL :rolleyes:
This episode just didn't strike me as a favorite.

Episode 2.10
GOD IS IN THE DETAILS

IMDB Synopsis: Zoe and her friends lose their voices, but whatever is causing the symptoms has an even worse effect on Allison and her only hope comes from an unusual source.

LIKED:
I would say all things considered a middle of the road episode, but l leaned away from it. I can't say I really liked much of it other than having Teryl Rothery as a guest star.

DIDN'T LIKE:
I just didn't really enjoy this one. I felt the plot escalation didn't really fit the circumstances, but as stated there was more going on than was being shown. I guess they just didn't do a great job of getting that idea across or I just wasn't in the mood.

I can say that one thing that turned me off was what happened with Jo's character. She just seemed slightly off character for her.

And I can't say I'm thrilled with where they are going with Kevin's character at this point.
Spoiler for spoiler:
We're talking borderline magic here. I think I would be okay with it if they had done a better job working up to it, but the fact that Stark just brought him in and expected him to magically heal Allison put me off.

So this isn't really a memorable one for me, which is a shame because I really like Teryl Rothery and I wish she had been in a more memorable episode.

Episode 11
MANEATER

IMDB Synopsis: All the women of Eureka begin to pursue Carter, so something must be very wrong.

LIKED.....
Oh what a great concept that just didn't quite hit right. Loved all the humor. Loved seeing guest stars like Lexa Doig.

DIDN'T LIKE.....
How they wasted this opportunity with needless convulsion filler. They tried to make more of a mystery than was necessary and it some what spoiled other aspects and made for some big plot holes.

Spoiler for spoiler:

Early on they were too specific with the female attraction. Carter was around more than just the women they focused on in the script. The issue should have been more evident earlier on.

I know the stuff with the wolves was meant to be a mislead, but it just seemed unnecessary. Yeah they were able to stick some good plot points in with it, but they could have used that screen time for more humor.
There was enough mystery going on. They didn't need the wolves.

And talk about a huge hole, why didn't Dr. Stone (Richard Ian Cox) report finding the bodies? That made no sense. I know they would say his wife distracted him, but that would also make no sense. Why would he go home before reporting the discovery of human remains?!

Ugggggh poor choices are so annoying because this could have / should have been an excellent episode. I would say the episode is an overall winner, but it could have been top tier.

WOW! Just realized this was post 800!!!!! Where is my prize? :cool: ;)
:guffaw: :LOL: :guffaw:

Last edited:
Episode 11
MANEATER

IMDB Synopsis: All the women of Eureka begin to pursue Carter, so something must be very wrong.

LIKED.....
Oh what a great concept that just didn't quite hit right. Loved all the humor. Loved seeing guest stars like Lexa Doig.

DIDN'T LIKE.....
How they wasted this opportunity with needless convulsion filler. They tried to make more of a mystery than was necessary and it some what spoiled other aspects and made for some big plot holes.

Spoiler for spoiler:

Early on they were too specific with the female attraction. Carter was around more than just the women they focused on in the script. The issue should have been more evident earlier on.

I know the stuff with the wolves was meant to be a mislead, but it just seemed unnecessary. Yeah they were able to stick some good plot points in with it, but they could have used that screen time for more humor.
There was enough mystery going on. They didn't need the wolves.

And talk about a huge hole, why didn't Dr. Stone (Richard Ian Cox) report finding the bodies? That made no sense. I know they would say his wife distracted him, but that would also make no sense. Why would he go home before reporting the discovery of human remains?!

Ugggggh poor choices are so annoying because this could have / should have been an excellent episode. I would say the episode is an overall winner, but it could have been top tier.

WOW! Just realized this was post 800!!!!! Where is my prize? :cool: ;)
:guffaw: :LOL: :guffaw:

I think you have to wait to get above 1000 to be a PsiCop.

I think you have to wait to get above 1000 to be a PsiCop.

Woh! A thousand posts and I will be a P12 or HIGHER!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

:LOL:

So what Kraig is suggesting is I should pad my numbers. Perhaps one sentence, post it, next sentence, post it, and so on and so on until I gain my telepathic abilities. :cool: :thumbsup:

:guffaw::LOL::guffaw:

Episodes 12 & 13
ALL THAT GLITTERS & A NIGHT IN GLOBAL DYNAMICS

ALL THAT GLITTERS IMDB Synopsis: The town's metals begin to spontaneously turn to gold, but the wealth may be as fleeting as the town when the structures begin deteriorating.

A NIGHT IN GLOBAL DYNAMICS IMDB Synopsis: A flesh eating virus has infected Global Dynamics, and the building goes into a security protocol that endangers everyone's lives.

LIKED.....
The big reveals that FINALLY came out.

DIDN'T LIKE.......
These didn't seem like the best two part Season Finale to an otherwise good Season. I may need to re-watch them. It did seem the season lost a bit of magic as it went.

Honestly I watched these about twenty minutes before I got the news about Mira Furlan on January 21st, so that might also be clouding my memory of these two.

ON TO SEASON THREE!!!!! :thumbsup:

EPISODE 3.1
BAD TO THE DRONE

IMDB Synopsis: The D.O.D. has sent in a business shark to perform an evaluation of Global Dynamics' viability, and everything that could possibly go wrong, does. Including a drone, whose boosted AI turns it into a killing machine.

LIKED.....
Guest star Frances Fisher. I've never seen her in anything where she wasn't great. I really like this role on her as well. Guest star Jonathon Young. I only know him from playing Tesla on SANCTUARY and his appearance on STARGATE ATLANTIS, but I like him so I'm glad he turned up in EUREKA.

DIDN'T LIKE.....
Most of it. I guess I thought this was a pretty weak season opener. I can't decide if I like what they are doing with Fisher's character. On the one hand it seems VERY cliché to introduce this type of character, while at the same time it seems VERY fitting that this type of character would be inserted into the plot.
Spoiler for spoiler:
EUREKA should have never tried to do romance. They aren't very good at it. NO WAY Allison would EVER sit on Stark's lap in Cafe Diem. And speaking of Cafe Diem, I felt the refrigerator thing was handled VERY poorly. They should have gone subterranean if they were going to suggest it was large enough that a tram was required.* But back to the whole love triangle thing.* It is soooo poorly done.* It is sooooo useless and annoying.* I love the Carter / Stark relationship.* If anything those two should get together. :) *

Overall not a terrible episode, but I am concerned about Season Three moving forward.:rolleyes: Oh and still not of fan of Zane. ?

EPISODE 3.2
WHAT ABOUT BOB?

IMDB SYNOPSIS: Carter and Allison search for a missing man in a bio-dome while Eva Thorne makes changes in town in the name of balance and efficiency.

LIKED.....
I liked the Soap Opera vibe. You would have to watch the episode to see what that means.;)
Spoiler for spoiler:
I liked that they suggested Fargo and Vincent were old friends, but I found it hard to believe.

DIDN'T LIKE.....
Hmmmmmmm..... I was okay with the story, but again they went too far with the effects. That seems odd for me to mention because I don't think I've ever put it that way before. Basically I mean there was an effect, the biosphere, that was too exaggerated to believe.*:rolleyes:
Spoiler for spoiler:
As well as Hologram Who Can See What is Happening Henry was quite ridiculous.*:rolleyes: Actually just that fact that he could walk around seem ridiculous.* *I also found the relationships in the biosphere to be a bit odd, or maybe brushed over is a better term. I mean there wasn't much reaction from the guy who's wife took up with Bob.* For there only being ten people in the biosphere there were six of them whom received very little screen time. That seemed off, but there was a pretty big "B" story arc. And BTW I have to say it seems like Allison Blake has been replaced by someone else in Season Three. Re-Kindled love has made me feel the character is off.

So, didn't care for the ridiculously exaggerated effects. I thought some things were too brushed over.* Overall not a bad episode, but really not inspiring me for what lies ahead. :rolleyes:

EPISODE 3.3
BEST IN FAUX

IMDB Synopsis: Carter is frustrated when he's told to investigate when robotic dogs begin exploding, believing it's a waste of his time. He's even more frustrated when no one else feels the earthquakes he's experiencing.

LIKED.....
Okay so I enjoyed this one, especially Alan Ruck's guest appearance.

DIDN'T LIKE.....
Spoiler for spoiler:

The only thing I would say I did not like about this episode is that Carter had no reaction when he found out the dogs were robots. I can't believe he is so desensitized that he had no reaction to perfect appearing robot dogs.

So I try to keep an open mind when it comes to the most outrageous aspects of a show like this, but this season in particular is beginning to annoy my sense of reality. They establish CAFE DEME has some HUGE storage facility. That started my annoyance. How does a small café have a storage unit that requires a tram in a city that is clearly not that large and does not have a giant building in the middle of it. Oddly enough what I thought "Why didn't they make it subterranean?" Then we get the next episode we get exposed to this ENORMOUS subterranean biosphere. And now we get a vehicle that can just zoom around tunneling. I mean just how much can there be around and under Eureka?

All and all a decent episode that I enjoyed. Definitely my favorite of Season Three to date.

EPISODE 3.4
I DO OVER

IMDB Synopsis: It's Allison's wedding day, and Carter is stuck in a time loop that causes him to relive it over and over. Unfortunately, there's no simple act that will right things, and the solution may prove very costly.

LIKED.....
I really like this one and I was shocked by the twist.

DIDN'T LIKE.....
I'd have to say there is very little I didn't like. I really enjoyed it. This one is my new favorite of Season Three to date. :LOL:

EPISODE 3.5
SHOW ME THE MUMMY

Synopsis: A sarcophagus releases a "curse" that threatens Eureka.

LIKED.....

I have to say this was probably my favorite episode of Season 3 to date. So they are improving at this current juncture. Zak Santiago guest stars. I knew I knew him. LOL Guest Starred on SG-1 and JMS' JEREMIAH. I mean I've seen SG-1 more than JEREMIAH, but I likely saw him on JEREMIAH first.

DIDN'T LIKE.....

I wasn't a huge fan of the solution this week. It seemed a bit simplistic for a complex issue. Maybe it isn't really over.
Spoiler for spoiler:
I just found it a bit difficult to swallow that the entire swarm followed the music and right through the restaurant into the freezer. It was kind of a let down.

All and all I really enjoyed it despite the soft ending

Sadly captive audience this will likely be my final post in this thread for awhile. I am going to work at a very stressful job with very long hours :scream: and I just doubt I'm going to have the energy to reach out too often. I will try to keep this up until I get through Eureka, but it will likely be a long slog. I have a feeling I won't even really have the desire to watch the show as often as I have been, which already isn't that often. :(

Latest posts

Members online

Back