• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

WB considering HD update

In truth I don't know what it is, just know what it isn't. Basically talking with someone who knows but the bugger won't tell me. All I know is it's not a remaster or Warner related, jms has been having a few email conversations with fans stepping forward, and even fan models are something that's being looked at!? Outside that, don't have a scoobies. Time will tell, I guess.

Thanks for the reply. Whatever it is, it's nice to see that at least some things are now happening with B5, official or unofficial. Just need it on Blu-ray now.

Funnily enough just uploaded the re-rendered opening sequence from Acts of Sacrifice and included 3 new scenes at the start using the original models (25 seconds roughly) - would have added more to tie it all together a bit better, but first time doing it and didn't want to add too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4G6a6lhC3w&t=3s

That's really quite amazing, seriously well done. I don't quite understand why Warners can't do this for the series proper – presumably it's not costing you millions of dollars to do these segments, so is the claim that it would be too expensive really valid (I know, they'd have to pay for manpower, overheads etc, but still...). Would love to see you do the extra bits from Severed Dreams that you mention (and maybe fix the names of the Agrippa and Roanoke?).

That's really quite amazing, seriously well done. I don't quite understand why Warners can't do this for the series proper – presumably it's not costing you millions of dollars to do these segments, so is the claim that it would be too expensive really valid (I know, they'd have to pay for manpower, overheads etc, but still...). Would love to see you do the extra bits from Severed Dreams that you mention (and maybe fix the names of the Agrippa and Roanoke?).
The CGI, in relative terms at least, is reasonably straight forward to re-render - assuming you have the scene files. They hold all the virtual camera. lighting and model movement information. If you don't have those then it would take some time to make a decent approximation at recreating them. The big issue is the composite shots (ppg blasts, virtual sets, electrical zaps and the like which are added to the live action).

There's far more of those than CGI shots, and they would have to be recreated from scratch with new film plates. The original plates (holding the live actors etc) which the artists received were already telecined down to the 4:3 aspect ratio and 720x486 resolution, so all the effects they added had to be the same aspect ratio and resolution (those figures were the delivery and broadcast standards at the time). You could (they have) upres'ed those shots, but even with the best results they would always be noticeably softer than the purely filmed or CGI bits. Basically, the more spent on a remaster, the more proper fixes could be done, and the better it would look.

All I know is it's not a remaster or Warner related,
Considering WB own the rights to everything except feature movies, that narrows the options down to pretty much:

1) Feature movie.
2) JMS is trying to convince WB that a full remaster is (economically) feasible.

Not sure which to be more excited for. Can I have both please?

Actually. IGNORE what I said earlier, I've now got some details about the project and Warner Bros IS involved, but it isn't a remaster - it's something new. The models have been requested more for references purposes as they're not actually needed for this new thing. I'd reveal what it is but some fans would get royally pissed at me for doing so, so it's probably best if jms does it when he feels the time is right.

My point is that I would love to see new tales set in the B5 Universe using the exact same visual effects technology, practical effects, and sets that were originally used.

Did you know that during the filming of Young Frankenstein, Mel Brooks was able to track down the original set designer for the universal monster films (Ken Strickfaden)?

I actually loved the CGI of the time, it reminded me of several video games of the era.

I'd reveal what it is but some fans would get royally pissed at me for doing so,

Don’t be a tease like that! Put your scoop in spoiler tags in case you are worried of pissing of some fans. Then the fans can choose for themselves.

Spoken to three people who have spoken to jms about the request for the 3D model files. The details vary slightly, though there's not a lot to begin with.

Spoiler for spoiler:

It's animation. Seems the proposal is (maybe) 2 animated movies being produced a year. NO idea what form that animation will be though. No idea if original actors will be doing voice work. The project is in early pre-production, supposedly.
WB are the ones producing this with their existing in house DC and FX people. None of the original FX artists from the show would be involved - which might explain why he posted to fans on twitter rather than approaching the artist directly (as it was a fan who got hold of the assets who was posting new renders on youtube) - at least that's the prevailing theory. The 3D files are for reference purposes for these WB people.

The thing is, the few details that have been relayed to the folks who spoke to jms are actually raising more questions than they answer. Won't go into all that, fans don't like it when you go into things like that, but one of them is it's raising some eyebrows as to why 30 year old Lightwave models are required for reference purposes, when amateurs and fans have been producing highly accurate models from watching the telly, and no one at WB uses lightwave to begin with.

Anyway, that's the gist of what jms has revealed/said.

Last edited:
Wow. That's kind of out of the blue, but an interesting direction to go down! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Wow. That's kind of out of the blue, but an interesting direction to go down! Thanks for sharing!

Personally, really hope it happens. Always thought that an animated venture would be a very good way to get around a number of issues of casting, etc. See,for example, The Clone Wars series, and some very tasteful re-casting of capable voice actors for Obi-Wan, Anakin, etc.

Lots of scope and studios love animated stuff these days, especially as you can produce it in lockdown with ease. WB have a pretty consistent track record with their DC animated content.

Personally, really hope it happens. Always thought that an animated venture would be a very good way to get around a number of issues of casting, etc. See,for example, The Clone Wars series, and some very tasteful re-casting of capable voice actors for Obi-Wan, Anakin, etc.

Lots of scope and studios love animated stuff these days, especially as you can produce it in lockdown with ease. WB have a pretty consistent track record with their DC animated content.

So much for the f'ing spoiler tag. Took me ages to figure out how to use those bloody things as well. :) :)

So much for the f'ing spoiler tag. Took me ages to figure out how to use those bloody things as well. :) :)
Thanks for answering. Not sure why anyone would be disappointed by this. It might not be my first choice, but at this point even the sock puppet proposal from The lost tales sounds good. ;)

Thanks for answering. Not sure why anyone would be disappointed by this. It might not be my first choice, but at this point even the sock puppet proposal from The lost tales sounds good. ;)

I'm thinking more along the lines of some folks will feel - you shouldn't be telling fans this - for whatever reason. Which is why I haven't made a big deal about it on something like the behind the scenes page over on FB. Words like "approved" by WB have been used so no idea how far along the process things are but it at least sounds like their serious about making something happen. . . . . Again, why they're doing it now hasn't been mentioned but I'd GUESS the response to B5 on HBO MIGHT have been a factor. Though don't know of course - and it is interesting that movies was mentioned in regards to the animation (possibly tying in with jms owning the movie rights). Have to wait and see.

Last edited:
I at least did try and keep my initial response vague! (as I have no idea how to use the spoiler tags either!) Still, until there's an official announcement I'll wait and see - wouldn't be the first time a B5 project was promised then fell through at the last (The Memory of Shadows, anyone?).

I wonder how much of this is also in response to Star Trek doing Lower Decks and Prodigy, though I'd hope anything B5 does isn't in quite the same vein.

I'm also excited about where it could lead, because it would make B5 a viable franchise again, for merchandising etc.

Thanks for sharing that. I hope it does pan out. I'd lost hope for more B5, I know it's too soon to have solid hope, but it would be fantastic.

Hahaha. Yeah, I didn't really think, and I'm lazy... most people are going to draw their own conclusions and at this point we're still dealing with rumours at best. So, speculate away!

Speaking of CLONE WARS, who wants to talk about CLONE WARS? I watched it all the way through in 2020. I have a lot to say about it, mostly negative because it ended up being a HUGE missed opportunity. I will say that I have considered re-watching it just to make a list of episodes I feel should be considered as part of the Star Wars Universe. There are some really outstanding arcs in that series that shouldn't be abandoned, but the bulk of the series is a waste of time, IMO. ;)

As to what this speculation is all about I feel like it is just speculation until an official announcement. After that it is "Announced" speculation. :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Speaking of CLONE WARS, who wants to talk about CLONE WARS? I watched it all the way through in 2020. I have a lot to say about it, mostly negative because it ended up being a HUGE missed opportunity. I will say that I have considered re-watching it just to make a list of episodes I feel should be considered as part of the Star Wars Universe. There are some really outstanding arcs in that series that shouldn't be abandoned, but the bulk of the series is a waste of time, IMO. ;)

As to what this speculation is all about I feel like it is just speculation until an official announcement. After that it is "Announced" speculation. :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Clone Wars improved so much as it went. Hard and fast rules:

-Skip any droid centric episodes
-Skip any Jar Jar centric episode
-Skip any Padme centric episode.

The rest is fairly good. It ended VERY well and with class. Nice to see Filoni heavily involved in Mando and getting the recognition he deserves.

Rebels was a far stronger show IMHO as it wasn't tied to the prequels too heavily and did its own thing (largely). They basically folded in all the lessons learnt from what did and didn't work on Clone Wars and produced a far better show. I definitely skipped chunks of Clone Wars when it wasn't my bag.

Last edited:
Clone Wars improved so much as it went. Hard and fast rules:

-Skip any droid centric episodes
-Skip any Jar Jar centric episode
-Skip any Padme centric episode.

I completely agree. And just to continue to bash the show, I REALLY hated the origin of Savage Opress - and I'm not a fan of that name. I didn't dislike the character. All of my negative reaction to him came from his ridiculous origin story.
Spoiler for spoiler:
I also really hated how they brought Darth Maul back. Not that they brought him back, but that he had no memory and all that.

I could list hundreds more complaints, but I think you summed them up perfectly with what should be skipped.

NOW what the show did well was most of the stories about the Clones themselves. I greatly enjoyed some of those arcs.

I've been having trouble getting into Rebels. Like Clone Wars, I'm not a huge fan of the animation style. Actually in Clone Wars I just wasn't a fan of some of the character models. A lot of what they did with backgrounds and big set pieces was fantastic. But Rebels I'm not a fan of any of the character models. I also find it to be ridiculously colorful. LOL

I will leave it at that since this has gone VERY off topic.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back