• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Passing Through Gethsemane

Good Idea?

• Total voters
One of my favourite B5 shows ever. What other show deals in such explicit terms about the nature of guilt, forgiveness, revenge and mercy?

Sheer beauty.

A solid A. The first time I saw it I was very confused and intrigued; strong performances (and it's the last time we see Brother Theo until "And the Rock Cried Out..."), pretty intense. Until I got spoiled by Joss Whedon this was some of the finest television I'd seen that didn't involve huge battles.

I'm surprised. Usually this episode rates an "A" or an "F" (maybe a "D") from people I know. It's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of episode, I thought.

I had no idea Brad Douriff could act until this episode. Wow, he does a great job. I completely believe his character and I feel his confusion and agony when he begins to discover who he is.

Even thought I'm an ex-Catholic, I somehow can relate to his pain in feeling unable to repent for sins he doesn't know he committed. Brother Theo's interpretation is undoubtedly what the Church would say (as long as you are sincere, repent, God will understand kind of reasoning). But that just isn't good enough for Brother Edwards. He has a sincere need to repent, since that's the kind of guy he's been programmed to be, now.

The whole ethical issue of using mind-wiping is a pretty intense one if you look at it from this perspective.

The writing is great, in my opinion. The characters are all believeable. And the moment of revulsion at the end: perfection.

Talk about making your point clear and yet personal, you know?

The writing is great, in my opinion. The characters are all believeable. And the moment of revulsion at the end: perfection.

Talk about making your point clear and yet personal, you know?

Nicely said, Hypatia. I agree competely!

Jan

I personally enjoyed Lyta's small part in this episode. I seem to enjoy pretty much every time she useds her powers for good in a shady kind of way.

I had no idea Brad Douriff could act until this episode. ?

Gee, I can't let that pass. :p

Brad is one of my favorite actors. He doesn't always get the best roles, but when he does, he's great. He was nominated for an Academy Award for playing Billy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and he does a great job in John Huston's Wise Blood. Those are two of his best. I'd put PTG up there as well.

Then he goes and shaves his eyebrows off and becomes incredibly slimy and evil. The man's pretty impressive.

I rated it "Good". Excellent concept, shaky execution. Brad Douruff is excellent but, as I've said before, it troubles me to see Douriff almost always typecast as a psycho. You may recall that Douriff also played Ensign Suter, the homicidal Betazoid (who eventually redeems himself) on Star Trek Voyager.

JMS often speaks of the pitfalls of typecasting, but in this instance he fell right into it. Yes, the scene between Theo and Edward near the end is heartbreaking; very good stuff, but the end of the ep is a little to clean, too convenient, too Twilight Zone-ish.

YES, Joe, we get the moral. ;)

Well, is "Gethsemane" really typecasting for Dourif? Sure, he played a psychotic killer in it -- but he also played someone struggling for understanding and redemption. A little more interesting. And he sounds like such a gentle soul in the LotR interviews.

He was the gentlest of souls as Billy, in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. His new personality in PTG was also very gentle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back