• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers

The Legend of the Rangers

• A -- Excellent

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • B -- Good

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • C -- Average

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • D -- Poor

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • F -- Failure

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
Been lurking on here for a while (and have been enjoying reliving the series with Lennier's Tears), but I had to jump in on LotR. Contrary to most opinions,it's my favorite B5 movie. Yeah, the weapons scene is embarrassing to watch, but even there I thought the underlying concept was cool, just should have been more discrete - like reaching out and touching the images of the ships/mines to target them or something. But, I think the biggest reason I enjoyed it was because, knowing jms always starts off slow and always has something up his sleeve, I watch it looking forward to what might have been coming. "I serve to live"? What's she got hanging over her head? Is she trying to hint she's got a Keeper? Then there's Captain David... could that be David Sheridan with a false last name to avoid getting special treatment? Try watching it with that in the back of your mind - I think it fits...

Hi! I'm glad to have you along on this re-watch! :)

I agree that this could have been a "Gathering" type thing. The kinks (weapons system mainly) could have gotten worked out and the story arc could have been great. But, alas, we'll never know because this is all we've got.

About David, this is set just a few years after the events of season 5, so it'd have to be another time travel plot .......

Alas, Rangers is far too close in time to the original series for David Martel to be David Sheridan in disguise.

Glad you de-cloaked!

Jan

About David, this is set just a few years after the events of season 5, so it'd have to be another time travel plot .......

Which would induce about as many headaches as WWE parts 1 & 2! :LOL:

Well, just to add fuel to that fire, in the 'original' arc memo for B5, Delenn and Sinclair's son was supposed to come back from the future to warn them about something. File under 'B5 that never was.' :)

Jan

Hey, I'd watch it ... :p

I can see, from a storytelling point of view, why that particular storyline might have gotten axed, and why a creator might want to avoid multiple time travel plots ... Things might get overly confusing, it might seem repetitive, or maybe too "deus ex machina" -ey. On the other hand, if this is a thing that is possible in your universe, and it's happened once, there really is no reason why it couldn't happen again, unless you very carefully invent some reason as to why not...

I have wondered in the past why ..... I'm about to spill some spoilers for a time travel plotline in Babylon 5, just in case a person who has watched Legend of the Rangers but not yet all of Babylon 5 happens to be reading this thread ... [Suddenly I worried about that and decided to throw in some filler words] Do you think that's enough filler words to where this hypothetical person has stopped reading? :p

Anyway, I have wondered why Sinclair has to stay in the past. Couldn't he, theoretically, go there, deal with the Shadow war, rearrange Minbari society, and then come back in time for dinner?

But, perhaps this thread isn't the most appropriate place for that discussion :p

Incidentally, I'm very fond of the existing time travel plot line, I don't think it needs "fixing" or anything, I just idly wonder about things sometimes.

Back