• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Legend Of The Seeker

Garovorkin

Regular
This series is based on the The Sword of Truth fantasy book series created By Terry Goodkind it from the producers Sam Rami and Robert Tapert. so far its good. You guys watching this one? I

I tried reading Goodkind and couldn't get past the dumbed-down sentence structure. Maybe I just needed to give it more of a shot. Me being a literary snob has nothing to do with the fact that it might be a really good story. I have the pilot downloaded, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Is it super campy like Xena/Herc? That got kind of old after a while. It's ok when Bruce Campbell does it, but everyone else, feh....

I've never read anything but snippets of Goodkind, but those were enough to put me off his stories and his philosophies for life. One of his heroes massacres a bunch of pacifists and remarks how, as they were "armed with nothing but their hatred of moral clarity," they died quickly.

As a Quaker, I had to raise an eyebrow at that. No, thank you.

There's also the chicken that was not a chicken.

Hmmm, not sure what to think so far. It seemed like part of a bigger story at first, now it's going into "freak of the week" mode. The acting seems iffy so far (though Zed is good, so is the confessor.) Some of the other acting is a bit . . . eh. But, I know it's a new show and sometimes actors need to come into their own.

I felt like things were really rushed through some of it, though I'm not familiar with the story. The part about the wisp was brushed over (and was an interesting part of the story, imho.) Minor characters are just thrown in w/o much care (the guard's family, etc.) I dunno. I will continue to watch probably just for the fantasy content, but I'm not sure it's going to be an "Oh my God" favorite. We'll see.

I like the Sword of Truth series. It's one of my favorites. I've never even heard of the Legend of the Seeker though. Is this a TV series? What channel is it on?

It's on CW where I am (old WB.)

I will say that the sets are wonderful and the music is awesome. I imagine it's LoDuca, who also did Herc/Xena.

I saw that it's on the CW. When I get the chance, I will set my DVR to record it because I'm not normally home when it's on.

I watched the two eps that my DVR had recorded, The Listener and Elixir over the weekend. After watching them, I can say they weren't too bad. Not terribly exciting must see TV, but entertaining enough. But since I'm a fan of Terry Goodkind's books (I've read the whole Sword of Truth series except for the prequal Debt of Bones,) I know the whole story of Richard and Zedd and Kahlan. The two eps that I watched have those three in them, but the events in both eps weren't in the books at all. It's almost like the people that made the show took Goodkind's characters and wrote their own storylines for them. It's not like you can say they show is "canon" straight from Goodkind. I guess that's okay though. I didn't mind that and I'll probably watch it as much as I can as long as it's on to see just how much they make it like the books. Sometimes stuff like that can be fun. :D

Never heard of this tv-series.. interesting. While I do believe Robert Jordan's grand epic Wheel of Time-saga is even better ;) , and that Goodkind mirrored (some would say "stole") some of Jordan's ideas and concepts in his Sword of Truth-universe, I too have enjoyed the story of Richard and Kahlan depicted in the Sword of Truth-books :); have read all but the final one ("Confessor" is on my Xmas wish-list :D ).

I think fans of great/favourite books often quiver with a mixture of dread and anticipation when they hear that the book is going to be adapted into a tv-series or a movie. I certainly felt like that when I first time heard that "The Lord of the Rings" (my perhaps favourite book of all time) was going to become a series of films. My first thoughts were "Peter Jackson, please don't screw up this masterpiece!" and "is it possible to make an adaptation to the big screen that is truly worthy of this legendary fantasy-story?". Having seen Peter Jackson's phenomenal movies (especially the extended dvd-editions) based on the three Tolkien-books I can only bow my head in respect and endless joy that sensational books have been made into sensational movies.

I hope this tv-series is worthy also of the Sword of Truth-saga. I think a tv/movie-adaptation may differ in some ways from the original story (some things do after all work better on screen), but the main thing is that "the heart is in the right place" so as to speak.

Robert Jordan's wheel of Time series had a brilliant concept but he kind of dragged it out, I rate Terry Good kind's saga a lttile higher then Jordan's and Rate George R Martin's Games of Thrones sage higher then both of them. Better still is Steven Erikson's Malazan saga, Book one is called Gardens of the Moon. :)

But all that said I do enjoy the Sword of Truth Tv series. I thinks its kind ofg fun. I do look forward to the Game of Thrones series that HBO is planning.

Last edited:
I tried reading one of the Wheel books and I got so bored and confused by it that I never finished it. The Sword of Truth series is much better IMO.

Is always a matter of taste as with everything else ;)

Btw I also enjoy "A Song of Ice and Fire" (though I wish Martin would get "A Dance With Dragons" done, waiting 4-5 years for each of his books is a bit of a pain..). I also tried the first couple of "Malazan"-books but they were not really my cup of tea (don't really know why, perhaps they way Eriksson writes.. something about the books did not appeal to me though they are obviously well written.. *shrugs*) Brandon Sanderson (after Robert Jordans tragic death last year) is finishing the final Wheel of Time-book "A Memory of Light" next year and I am sure that book will be amazing and a fitting conclusion to a great fantasy-saga.

I too read that "A Game of Thrones", the first "A Song of Ice and Fire"-novel, is going to be made into a tv-series.. sounds very interesting!

Garovorkin, have you gotten the impression that Goodkind-fans are happy with this Sword of Truth tv-series, or had they hoped for something better? Probably has much to do with expectations I guess..

Last edited:
Is always a matter of taste as with everything else ;)

Btw I also enjoy "A Song of Ice and Fire" (though I wish Martin would get "A Dance With Dragons" done, waiting 4-5 years for each of his books is a bit of a pain..). I also tried the first couple of "Malazan"-books but they were not really my cup of tea (don't really know why, perhaps they way Eriksson writes.. something about the books did not appeal to me though they are obviously well written.. *shrugs*) Brandon Sanderson (after Robert Jordans tragic death last year) is finishing the final Wheel of Time-book "A Memory of Light" next year and I am sure that book will be amazing and a fitting conclusion to a great fantasy-saga.

I too read that "A Game of Thrones", the first "A Song of Ice and Fire"-novel, is going to be made into a tv-series.. sounds very interesting!

Garovorkin, have you gotten the impression that Goodkind-fans are happy with this Sword of Truth tv-series, or had they hoped for something better? Probably has much to do with expectations I guess..

The TV Series has Dumbed down the books considerably i would Imagine thtat a sizable number of Goodkind fans are not exactly thrilled with the series. I still do enjoy it.

, By the way You might Like Steven Erikson's Malazan series especially if you are a Glen Cook Fan, its a very intense fantasy series.:)

It's ok, so far. I'm waiting to see how they treat Deanna, and her "training":devil: of Richard. I missed the begining, are there any Mord Sith around Draken Rahl? Hopefully Scarlet will be done right.;)

I've read the entire Sword of Truth series, enjoyed (most) of it, and am glad the story is over. I've enjoyed Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and will be just as glad to have a conclusion to the story. Hopefully having a series will "inspire" Mr Martin to finish and publish Ice and Fire. The way he knocks off main characters, it cant go on too much longer.:devil:

You think they'll even show Denna torturing him? I can picture having Mord Sith run around in their tight red leather, but doing much more than fighting bad guys I can't see them writing for them to do.

Without Mord Sith, there is no Deanna: and no white sword. Remember, Deanna didn't just torture, she seduced.;) There would also be no Cara, and other integral characters essential if they hope to serialize the series.:devil: And no doubt that they would be eye candy.:p

They REALLY need to get Scarlett right. And her egg.:thumbsup:

Having missed the initial episodes, have they stated the Wizards First Rule yet?

I don't remember whether they've stated the Wizard's First Rule yet.

Last week's episode had Shota and Samuel in it, and also Demmin Nass. Characters in the books have been appearing in the series, although I don't remember this particular storyline involving Shota being in the books. It's kinda hard to figure where events in the series would fit in the books.

Talk of the Mord-Sith and their "training" of Richard makes me wonder if they'll have the Sisters of the Light in the show and how they'll handle it. Will Verna capture Richard and take him off to the Palace of the Prophets? Will Prelate Ann be in the show? And how about the prophet Nathan? I'm curious to see how much of all this makes it into the show.

I've been watching the show, and as I do, I find myself grabbing the first book of the Sword of Truth series Wizard's First Rule going, "I don't remember this! Did this happen in the books?" and trying to find what's going on in the show in the books. As I've said in previous posts, it's like the producers of this show took Goodkind's characters, the whole premise of the books, and made their own version. Much of the idea of the story is the same, Richard, Kahlan, and Zedd fighting Darken Rahl and his D'Haran Empire to keep him from using magic and the Boxes of Orden to let the Keeper into the world. But the storylines are different. It makes me want to read the books again. But I can't right now because I'm trying to finish one book with two others waiting for me to read. :eek: :LOL:

My verdict? Lame.

The writing is horrible, the acting is cardboard, and it's just -- eeeuuw.

I'm still watching it, though. Pass the popcorn. Whee!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back