• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Chrysalis

Babylon Squared

• C -- Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
I love this episode it has all the previous buildups from all the year.I give this one an A but I almost gave this one a B cause two of my favorite people leave one literally that of course is Micheal O'Hare as Sinclair the other is Delenn after a fashion the reason I say this is because I think she loses her mystery anf aura when she was a full minbari .In later years she is just a human with a half bone on her head. :( This one part of the series I don't agree on is her metamorphis into a human.

A true classic. A major wham episode, although in comparison with some of the others it does seem fairly tame.

This is my favorite episode of the first season, and possibly of the entire series. So many things happen and change in this episode, and as Sinclair said, "Nothing's the same anymore." This pretty much sets things up for the rest of the series.

This is the last appearance of the readheaded dome tech chick, :( not to mention Sinclair's last appearance as a main cast member.

B5 had a tradition of jaw-dropping season enders and this stunning quadruple-whammy cliffhanger was a brilliant way to keep us on tenterhooks for Season 2. The moment when Earth Force One explodes is, I think, the moment that B5 finally grows up and demands to be taken seriously. A completely changed series. A+!

How the heck not, vacantlook? :eek: The transformation is one of the most original ideas I've seen on TV. Also, she and John couldn't get together without it. Personally, I find the 1st season Delenn way too aloof and distant and cold, and maybe slighty arrogant. The new Delenn has fire and steel ("BE SOMEWHERE ELSE!"), and it takes being cut off from her own people to bring that out. Anyway great ep, Jeff's proposal is classic, and after about 20 runs I STILL wince when Micheal gets shot. Oh, and the build up to the explosion and the moment itself still makes me go cold with apprehension then get that "Oh my..." feeling, like a punch the stomach. First-time viewers used to usual TV rules are secure in the knowledge that "the day will be saved" and then... BOOM! Pure brilliance.

Also, she and John couldn't get together without it

I think it's my post he or she is referring to.But that's one of things I don't like .I mean it seemed from the minute Sheridan came on board I knew Delenn was going to marry him :mad:As you can see I am not a big Sheridan fan .That would have been one of the best parts of the series if she hadn't married him .I always thought Delenn deserved someone else other than Sheridan Starkiller.

It would've been funny if she'd played it straight right up to that scene in Season 4 where Sheridan finds the engagement ring under the chair, makes his little speech about downpayment on a wedding ring, and then turned him down. That would've been one hell of a twist.. :D

I enjoyed this episode considerably more after listening to JMS commentary. It was a storke of writing genuis to have the actors unaware of the direction that this episode would take.

Ex 1) Mira Furlan constructed the crysalis apparatus throughout season 1, and had no idea what it would be until she was told during the filiming of crysalis

Ex 2) Garibaldi's second in command character was changed dramatically to the "bad guy" in this episode, another example of a change that the actor was not aware of.

Both examples illustrate that JMS was building a saga, with events and actions hinted in whispers that would alter the course of the entire show later on.

Storkes taste like duck not chicken! :p

but without getting too off topic...

I also liked the JFK assassination parallels in the ep

Another excellent episode. Great action, great tension (Garibaldi crawling towards the lift, can he warn about the assasination atempt in time? )a great mysteryand wonder. Everything starts to hit the fan here, like Sinclair says, "Nothing's the same anymore..." It would have been interesting to see just where things would have led had Michael O'Hare stayed with the show. Would it have been Catherine Sakai mysteriously returning from Z'Ha'Dum at the end of season three, not Anna Sheridan?

We get our first proper look at the Shadow's vessels in battle, and the destruction of Earth Force One is a major turning point. And then right at the end we get our first glimpse of the Shadows themselves. I thought this was a fantastic episode the first time round, and I still get a thrill watching it now, because there is a feeling that anything could happen, the audience knows it, and by the end the charcters have come to know it.

Awesome .. there is no other word for it. This episode converted me to a complete fan of Babylon 5 in 15 minutes. I had never seen any of it properly before sitting down to see the last half of the episode .. once it was done, I was rushing to the closest book store looking for episode guides and trying to figure out how many more episodes there would be and got VHS tapes to tape every last episode of it - an honour that at the time was only reserved to one other TV show - Star Trek.

It would have been interesting to see just where things would have led had Michael O'Hare stayed with the show. Would it have been Catherine Sakai mysteriously returning from Z'Ha'Dum at the end of season three, not Anna Sheridan?
For the last time: NO!!! Sakai would never have had the role of Anna Sheridan because of one tiny detail: the Shadows had already been awoken in Season 1. And there would be no blowing up Z'ha'dum, no Lorien, no ISA, etc.

JMS already said this a dozen times: Sheridan wasn't created to replace Sinclair with the same character but a different name, any more than Lochley was there to play the role of Ivanova; they were different characters with different unrelated arcs.

That same mistake of transfering one character to another led a lot of people to think that Ivanova would end up with Takashima's mole arc, which was not the case.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back