• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Gate SG1 cancelled

babylonfan

Regular
The future of Stargate is in question today, as SCI FI Channel has cancelled the long-running Stargate SG-1, Multichannel News reported today and a GateWorld source has confirmed. The news regrettably follows the airing of the show's milestone two-hundredth episode on Friday.

Stargate Atlantis, meanwhile, has been renewed for a fourth season, with the network hoping to see that the spin-off series can stand alone, according to a source.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/08/istargate_sg-1i_cancelled_iatlan.shtml

I was never a huge fan, and so I can't speak to the issue. Some claim the show has gotten tired and needs to end (a viable complaint about most long-running shows, I think...). But my gut reaction was still, "Well, shucks." It's another blow to sci-fi TV.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean SG Atlantis and BSG will be the only space-based scifi shows on air?

Well, S10 is only just starting, there's about 5 more before the break, and then it comes back in March for the second batch.

Dr. Who (Although British) returns on Sept 29, and S3 is getting ready to start filming, plus the spinoff Torchwood is coming up in the UK.

Who knows what will come up by next season. They aren't cutting the Season short, they're just not renewing it next year.

I never thought SG-1 was "the best show out there", but, it's generally pretty good, and I think it's as good as it's ever been.

I really do think there is a difference between "not picking a show up for another year" and "cancelled" - especially when a series has been on the air for 10 years and just broadcast its 200th frickin' episode. Especially whan the press release indicates that Sci-Fi announced the decision when they did precisely in order to give the producers time to wrap up storylines and bring the show to a satisfying conclusion. That just isn't the same as getting yanked off the air in mid-season because your ratings suck. :)

Also it is likely that the SG-1 actors/characters could turn up on Atlantis - even join the other series a la O'Brien and Worf going from TNG to DS9. The fact is that after 10 years a show like SG-1 becomes incredibly expensive to produce. Everyone involved gets an automatic raise year after year under the union contracts, and key personnel are able to negotiate for even more. And the show doesn't generate the kind of ratings that would make a network and a studio lose money on a show. Friends was the most expensive thing ever produced for television in its last couple of years (given the minute-for-minute cost) but NBC thought it needed those ratings to draw eyeballs and build up possible replacement shows. SG-1 never had remotely that kind of value to Sci-Fi.

I've only caught an episode here and there, but appreciate the fans being a little sad that the show is going off the air, but at least it is getting a decent send-off.

Regards,

Joe

:) I hope that we'll get to see some of the characters on Atlantis. I do like SG-1, but admit I'm more of a fan of earlier seasons than what we have seen lately. Still, they're strong characters with a great following. :( It would be a shame if they just disappeared.

And there I was last Friday thinking, "man, SG-1 seems like it could go on forever."

I hope that they can wrap everything up well enough, though. Either that, or see if they can't find a new home for the show.

And there I was last Friday thinking, "man, SG-1 seems like it could go on forever."

You jinxed it! It's all your fault!

... sorry. Whenever I see a GKKR post, I'm automatically in Babbleon.

I thought the same thing recently.

I was a late bloomer to SG-1 because I didn't have Showtime when it was on that network for 5 years. I eventually caught up through syndication and Sci-Fi Channel repeats. I think it's gotten better every year, and I've especially enjoyed the last 4 years.

I may be in the minority here, but I feel that SG-1 is one of the few shows--if not the only show ever--to successfully survive a major re-invention when Richard Dean Anderson left around the same time they elimited the Goa'uld threat. Bringing on a new team leader, new general, and a new enemy race in season 9--and at the same time have one of the lead actors on maternity leave for the first 6 episodes--was risky. And yet, they handled it much better than ever could have been expected.

There's supposed to be an announcement later this week about the future of the Stargate franchise. A producer has hinted that SG-1 is not dead, and I've read that having two simultaneous productions sharing writers, producers, directors, sets, special effects staff, etc., helps with cost, so my hope is that there will be a third Stargate show starting up with at least one SG-1 actor joining Atlantis and at least one other joining a new show. Maybe that's asking for too much.

I had run across an article with Dean Devlin (the guy that produced the original Stargate movie) where he said he was in talks with MGM to film 2 more Stargate movies.

Producer-writer Dean Devlin confirmed today at the San Diego Comic-Con that he is in talks with MGM Studios to shoot parts two and three to his original 1994 sci-fi film Stargate, which starred Kurt Russell and James Spader.

Granted this was back in July so things might have changed a bit since then.

Devlin Interview

I had run across an article with Dean Devlin (the guy that produced the original Stargate movie) where he said he was in talks with MGM to film 2 more Stargate movies.

Producer-writer Dean Devlin confirmed today at the San Diego Comic-Con that he is in talks with MGM Studios to shoot parts two and three to his original 1994 sci-fi film Stargate, which starred Kurt Russell and James Spader.

Granted this was back in July so things might have changed a bit since then.

Devlin Interview

It's been my gut feeling that SG-1 would live on in Movies or Minis, although I was expecting "Straight to SciFi channel", not theatrical.

Ok, I admit that you got my attention by the word "cancelled" but I agree with Joe that isn't the right word to use. They are just letting it go and in enough time to wrap up storylines. Thank God! :)

I was slow to warm up to this series but I quite enjoy it. It was fun to see how much fun they had with the 200th ep and all the fun poked at themselves and other scifi programs. But I am also very glad to hear this news because I am tired of the series. Atlantis and SG-1 are almost the same show now with crossovers and shared production people. Plus, the whole Ori thing has got to go. Ben Browder doesn't do much for me as he reminds me too much of his Farscape character. Claudia Black on the other hand is a joy to watch. I think they should have just started a new series when RDA left but I have also enjoyed some of what has followed too.

My apologies for the way I titled the thread. Just copy-pasted the title from the article. Can I change the title of the thread, or is that mod-territory?

I may be in the minority here, but I feel that SG-1 is one of the few shows--if not the only show ever--to successfully survive a major re-invention when Richard Dean Anderson left around the same time they elimited the Goa'uld threat. Bringing on a new team leader, new general, and a new enemy race in season 9--and at the same time have one of the lead actors on maternity leave for the first 6 episodes--was risky. And yet, they handled it much better than ever could have been expected.

Like several in this thread, I am also a very late bloomer into SG1. Fact is, I never really watched it --- my roommate did --- and boy did he watch it. He caught all the reruns on SciFi when he got home from work (usually when I was home) as well as the episodes as they aired on Friday. I had no choice but to know about the show from being home when he was watching it. He was a HUGE fan.

Ironically, I never got into the show --- until the Atlantis spinoff. It was at that time that I started watching SG1 and Atlantis on Friday nights. I realize this was into SG1s 8th or 9th season...but I really felt the show was tired at that point. I enjoyed Atlantis a lot more and liked the characters better.

Recently I've started watching the SG1 DVDs starting from Season 1. I have to disagree with the comment about the show doing well after being reinvented --- I'm not sure it has or that it has ever found its legs since O'Neal and Hammond left the series. After watching some of those early episodes (and I still prefer Atlantis over early SG1) I don't think the new Ori threat is nearly as cool. In fact, its kinda lame and tiring. I also am not a big fan of how we went from romping around with machineguns to having spaceships that can take us to another GALAXY in 2 weeks. Yes, I know the little grey guys helped with that, but still its TOO much and really stretches things. I also dont think the new characters have settled in. I like Browder in the show, moreso than Anderson, but he didn't FIT as well as he could. Claudia Black brings some fun to the show --- but probably a little late in the game. I think this show was stronger earlier on. But as I said above, I do believe Atlantis was better from Day 1 than SG1 ever was. I really enjoy that show and its characters (even if their threat of the Wraith is kinda weak, and they are now getting into having replicators there also? even more weak).

There's supposed to be an announcement later this week about the future of the Stargate franchise. A producer has hinted that SG-1 is not dead, and I've read that having two simultaneous productions sharing writers, producers, directors, sets, special effects staff, etc., helps with cost, so my hope is that there will be a third Stargate show starting up with at least one SG-1 actor joining Atlantis and at least one other joining a new show. Maybe that's asking for too much.

Possible. I also find it ironic that the 200th episode was making fun of their own show, and about doing a movie. There were nods to all sorts of shows in that episode (Firefly, Star Trek, Team America, and more) but it might be a bit of foreshadowing if they take SG1 to the big screen.

Can you call that taking them to the big screen? Or is it taking them BACK to the big screen? I know, different actors, but same characters as the original movie that spawned the series in the first place.

Well think some issues with taking it to the big screened. Seen reports of them doing a sequel to the orignal movie ignoreing the SG1 story. Know that was part of one of the jokes in the 200 th episode. So doubht they will do the original movie sequel and have a sg1 movie out around the same time.

Well, S10 is only just starting, there's about 5 more before the break, and then it comes back in March for the second batch.

Dr. Who (Although British) returns on Sept 29, and S3 is getting ready to start filming, plus the spinoff Torchwood is coming up in the UK.

Who knows what will come up by next season. They aren't cutting the Season short, they're just not renewing it next year.

I never thought SG-1 was "the best show out there", but, it's generally pretty good, and I think it's as good as it's ever been.

Oh, I also forgot to mention the BattleStar Galactica spinoff Caprica, which will probably be space based. I would imagine this would be what is replacing SG-1

Point of interest: Why would something named after a planet (Caprica) be spaced based? Isn't BSG already spaced based?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back