• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: The Parliament Of Dreams

Born To The Purple

• Total voters
Can you expand on why you disliked that part?

It was a few things. Firstly given that Sinclair didn't really have a plan on what to do in the previous scene (which was a few hours/days earlier) I found it somewhat unbelievable that he would have been able to assemble the people that he needed in time (I tend to get drawn into shows, so I'm not a fan of anything like this that pulls me out).

Secondly, I wasn't sure what made it a religious demonstration, it was just a line of people. All of the other alien species would have been able to show something similar. I'm sure that I have just seen an episode where Londo talks about the Centauri having 50 gods, and in By Any Means Necessary I think that G'Kar says that G'Kwan is one of a number of gods that the Narn follow (BTW I have cracked my way through to the start of Series 2, but am spending more time watching that writing up my thoughts... There are some episodes that I have loved but want to think about them a little before writing about them).

Thirdly, it felt like a cop out. I think that it is meant to be a demonstration of Earth's dominant religion(s), yes there are lots of religions but there are a few dominant ones. I thought that Sinclair should have just picked one, or a few, and run with it.

Re-reading this, it all reads as if I feel much more strongly about the scene than I do. As I said orginally it wasn't really for me, but I can see why others liked it.

It was a few things. Firstly given that Sinclair didn't really have a plan on what to do in the previous scene (which was a few hours/days earlier) I found it somewhat unbelievable that he would have been able to assemble the people that he needed in time (I tend to get drawn into shows, so I'm not a fan of anything like this that pulls me out).

Well he does have around 150,000 (if you estimate 100,000 aliens) to ask around after... so he'd probably be able to pick out a fair number for the line up.

Secondly, I wasn't sure what made it a religious demonstration, it was just a line of people.

It was a demonstration of what Sinclair to be most important - the right to complete freedom of religious belief/unbelief.

All of the other alien species would have been able to show something similar. I'm sure that I have just seen an episode where Londo talks about the Centauri having 50 gods,

To my understanding, the Centauri have a singular mono/polytheistic belief. They believe ina Great Maker and have a common pantheon of lesser gods. Many gods but from the same cultural form of worship.

and in By Any Means Necessary I think that G'Kar says that G'Quan is one of a number of gods that the Narn follow (BTW I have cracked my way through to the start of Series 2, but am spending more time watching that writing up my thoughts... There are some episodes that I have loved but want to think about them a little before writing about them).

The Narn if I remember rightly, worship their sun. The figures of G'Lan and G'Quan are similar in archetype to the Minbari Valen and Valerian. G'Quan doesn't appear to be a god, but rather a telepathic messianic figure from the time of the first Shadow War, who helped the Narn fend of the Shadows who had infiltrated the planet. G'Lan is... well, you'll see... but you'll understand my comments about Valerian later.

Thirdly, it felt like a cop out. I think that it is meant to be a demonstration of Earth's dominant religion(s), yes there are lots of religions but there are a few dominant ones. I thought that Sinclair should have just picked one, or a few, and run with it.

That wouldn't sit with the character of Sinclair though would it? Sinclair demonstrates on a number of occasions (whether you agree or not), that the freedom of individual belief is Earth's greatest contribution to religion. And even then, in 200 years time... who knows what the actual level of worshippers in any belief will be... heck we are all being outgrown by the rise in Elvis impersonators.

Re-reading this, it all reads as if I feel much more strongly about the scene than I do. As I said orginally it wasn't really for me, but I can see why others liked it.

Fair do's

Well, I'm an atheist, and I liked the lineup. To me it showed that Earth wasn't dominated by any one belief, and that all were accepted. Ironically, even though I reject all religions, I like that. To me, it was a demonstration of freedom.

Too long since I've seen them... I have been thinking about going through them all again. I was hoping maybe they would make it to Blu-Ray, but fat chance, for several reasons, I know...

I just don't think shaking a bunch of hands and hearing a list of names and religions and cultures is all that instructive. Yes, we have lots of different beliefs. Might as well just print out a list- same thing.

Not to get into a whole format discussion, but I don't think everything necessarily should be released to Blu-Ray. Only if it has real benefits. Obviously if B5 were to do that it would be great, but it was filmed like 15 yrs ago on a budget for TV.

I currently follow 3 network TV series which I record and watch in HD so when I put on The Gathering my eyes had to adjust from the lower quality.

I just don't think shaking a bunch of hands and hearing a list of names and religions and cultures is all that instructive. Yes, we have lots of different beliefs. Might as well just print out a list- same thing.

I think that Sinclair was just graphically pointing out that Earth has no "dominant religious belief."

I really enjoyed rewatching this episode! That is due mostly to the excellent character development - not just G'Kar (who is wonderful all the way - a bit over the top, but I take it to be played tongue-in-cheek), but also the introduction of Lennier and Na'Toth, both wonderfully played by their respective actors.

JMS mentions his propensity for strong female roles, and Na'Toth is a perfect example. Her instant rapport with G'Kar and the fact that he trusts her when he would have reason not to do so is well written and acted.

Unlike some of the previous posters, I like the way the Sakai/Sinclair relationship is handled. Yes, the beginning is awkward, but entirely understandable for two people who have been so close and are trying to make themselves believe that they can stay out of trouble by attempting to keep each other at arm's length. There's a magnetism there - pushing each other away while simultaneously being pulled together.

What appeals to me most in this episode are the wonderful dialogues. The funny ones stick longest: Sakai's "your pants are talking to you", Na'Toth's not speculating how *anything* gets into G'Kar's bed, Lennier's "understanding is not required", and of course "Have a pleasant flight" at the end! All that and music too - G'Kar's sung ditty is priceless!

This episode has top entertainment value and is one I'll certainly come back to even when I watch selectively, picking out the ones I enjoy most.

This episode is just PACKED with fabness.

The "purple" line..
G'Kar switching the fruits.
The fabulous first Na'Toth (who I really missed when she was replaced).
G'Kar's character expanded upon, his SCREAM.. rather amusing considering how does not scream for much much worse things later on.

The first time I saw it I thought the ending quite wanky but watching it now through the eyes of a Bab 5 convert I thought it kind of moving.. though even the child that was watching it with me asked, "why did he say Aborigine, Aborigine isn't a religion.."

And here's my question having read only half this thread.. this ceremony with the red berries can be a marriage ceremony in certain instances. Delenn seems oddly.. in some kind of St. Teresa like ecstasy as she eats the berry and looks at Sinclair. Is this because she knows who he is? A kind of Bride of Valen moment?

But Delenn is a descendant of Valen... so Sinclair is her great grandpappy. :p

According to the original narrative breakdown for the show printed in the special Volume 15 of the scriptbooks, in the original plan for Sinclair, he would never have gone back in time to become Valen but instead would've gone forward in time with Delenn as his wife and the two of them having just had a child. Since it wasn't until at some point after the show had been rolling along for a bit that jms decided to make Valen be Sinclair gone back in time, I imagine that "The Parliament Of Dreams" was written with still that original plan in mind.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back