• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Galactica Miniseries...

Re: Galactica: Remake Opposition Ad

Maybe something will come of the proposed Wing Commander series.

Didn't know there were plans for a Wing Commander series. I love the game and have to admit that love the movie. That surely could be something good to watch. :) Where did you see the info about it?

Didn't know there were plans for a Wing Commander series. I love the game and have to admit that love the movie. That surely could be something good to watch. :) Where did you see the info about it?

http://www.pnrfilms.com/

Click on television then on 03.

http://www.pnrfilms.com/

Click on television then on 03.

Re: Galactica 2003

I know that this is an old thread, but I thought I'd resurrect it instead of starting a new one.

I do like the old series. It was cheesy, often poorly made, but fun to watch. The best part of were those great '70s costumes:D And the hair. The original Starbuck's hair was longer than the new one's.

That said, if I want to watch the old show, I will buy the DVD. I don't need an exact copy.

After reading the draft script of the new show, I do have some strong reservations. It could defiantly use some work.

There is no reason that it won't get that work. It was after all a *draft script* and has presumable been changed since then. Also, what series have you seen where the pilot was better than the show. Even B5 didn't have a stunning pilot.

While I'm one the subject of B5, I honest cannot conceive of how anyone can say "what if they remade B5, how would that make you feel." The original BSG and Babylon 5 are simply not comparable. Further more, I think that saying that is an insult to B5 and all the people who poured their souls into that show. BSG was a Star Wars rip off. It was a fun show, I enjoy watching it, but quality is a word that I would not associate with it. Don't believe me? Watch any B5 episode, than watch any BSG episode. The lowest of the low in B5 is equal, if not superior to, the best BSG has to offer. I know that the fans of the original are upset, I'm sure the show brings back all sorts of fun, childhood memories, but please, lets be realistic as to what we are talking about here. End Rant #1.

As to young people. I wonder if anyone ahs watched the trailers. I understand they are pretty hard to avoid, on scifi every fifteen seconds and so on (I'm Canadian and therefore get Space instead of Scifi). Who is the centre of every trailer? Adama. Picture of youth, he is. (Poor guy, I wonder if they've given up on sending him hate mail. I saw an interview the other day where he was talking about what a wonderful script the new show has. He's already committed to acting in the series, should it be made.) Most military officers are between 18 and 30, so having a young Starbuck and Apollo isn't that unrealistic. I remember Richard Hutch and Dirk Benedict being pretty young in the original.

And those who feel that the new set is cheep should watch this video

And hey, they left some things the same, after twenty-five years...

1. Boxey's hair is exactly the same.
2. They still smoke on spaceships
3. The mechanical Cylons still have the freaky red eye
4. Athena is still a non-entity

isn't that enough?

{snip}As to young people. I wonder if anyone ahs watched the trailers. I understand they are pretty hard to avoid, on scifi every fifteen seconds and so on (I'm Canadian and therefore get Space instead of Scifi). Who is the centre of every trailer? Adama. Picture of youth, he is. (Poor guy, I wonder if they've given up on sending him hate mail. I saw an interview the other day where he was talking about what a wonderful script the new show has. He's already committed to acting in the series, should it be made.) Most military officers are between 18 and 30, so having a young Starbuck and Apollo isn't that unrealistic. I remember Richard Hutch and Dirk Benedict being pretty young in the original.
{snip}
Artistically you can get away with a young captain when he is the star. Unfortunately in Battle Star Galactica the captain is a father figure to the pilots. The pilots are in the middle 20s so the captain has to be 25 + 25 = 50 i.e. late 40s to 60s.

In the real military, short commission officers end up as second in command and then retire.

Where does it say Apollo is supposed to be a father figure? Certainly the pilots would have to trust and respect them, but he doesn't have to be old, just good. Adama is certainly a father figure and he's the right age for it.

Most military officers are between 18 and 30

No. Most military *personel* are 18 - 30, but officers are a somewhat older population. Aside from possible battlefield promotions (and it would be rare for those to cross the boundary from enlisted to commissioned officer), officers are pretty much all college educated (at least in "developed" countries); whether at military acadamies, while participating in ROTC programs, or entering OCS after getting a degree. That means that the most junior officers who just got commissioned are generally around 22 or 23. An 18 year old officer would be an extreme rarity.

Granted, a fair number of those officers will leave the military after fulfilling the obligation required in exchange for their education. I would therefore expect that at any given time there are more officers in the 22 - 30 range than in the 30 - 40 range. Of course, the younger officers will generally tend to be the lower ranking officers. I also would expect that there is a lot of attrition among officers in their early to mid 40's. That would be the age range when people hit their 20 year mark for a full pension.

Thank you for clearing that up, it makes more sense now.

SPOILERS

Though I might add that Apollo was not the original Commander of the Air Group. He was just on board to see his Old Man retire. When everything was wiped out and the Galactica's CAG and most of the pilots killed, Apollo was the ranking officer. So he got to be CAG. I think Jamie Bamber is in his late twenties, so that's not too unreasonable is it?

Latest posts

Members online

Back