• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New To Babylon 5

So yeh I'm actually loving starting again because it does sort of feel like I watched so much the first time round that you don't quite take it all in so it almost feels like watching it for the first time again, because you do tend to forget so much of it right down to the conversations between main characters etc, so absolutely loving that haha.

Told ya! The first TWO times are incredible. The second time you see and appreciate so much more than you did the first time. Enjoy!

I'm so glad to hear how much you enjoyed the show and it's always nice to read someone's first impressions. As everyone else has said, the second watch is so great because of how you see all the little seeds that are planted but may not come to fruition for episodes or even seasons later. You pick up on things that may have seemed insignificant or inconsequential the first time. You may not even connect some of the dots until even a third rewatch or more.

Going back to earlier in the conversation, I think I heard Claudia say once, possibly in Galveston 2014, that she felt pressured to sign the contract once TNT came on board. I don't believe she meant by JMS, but more or less that it was from everyone. They felt they all needed to commit immediately and as was stated she already had other things lined up and wanted time to sort things. When the pressure continued she finally said no. Don't quote me, but that just feels like the story I heard her tell. ;)

Going back to earlier in the conversation, I think I heard Claudia say once, possibly in Galveston 2014, that she felt pressured to sign the contract once TNT came on board. I don't believe she meant by JMS, but more or less that it was from everyone. They felt they all needed to commit immediately and as was stated she already had other things lined up and wanted time to sort things. When the pressure continued she finally said no. Don't quote me, but that just feels like the story I heard her tell. ;)

Could be. And why? Because that was the FINAL day that the contracts could be signed. Which, assuming they'd done their homework, both she and her agent knew.

Claudia did Freaks & Geeks, which was likely one of the projects she had lined up. She was excellent in that and its another show that has massive cult status now.

Claudia did Freaks & Geeks, which was likely one of the projects she had lined up. She was excellent in that and its another show that has massive cult status now.

Two episodes. Which aired in 2000 so were likely filmed long after filming on B5 was over.

Is everyone waiting for me to say something?!?!?!?!?! :p

:LOL:

Well, yeah! What else!?! :p :p

And now I shall throw on my speculation rings on my fingers and begin to type.......

As much as it pains me to say this it actually makes sense that Ivanova would move on. It was established she eventually wanted to Captain a ship and the Wars gave her a taste of what she wanted. Couple that with other aspects of her story and it is kind of a natural spot for her to move on from that phase of her life. Setting aside it being a TV show that had the framework established of natural a progression for her to take over B5, the reality of the situation is that Earth would insist a third party take command of Babylon 5. They would view Ivanova as Sheridan's puppet and feel they never had a fair hand in what happened on B5 if she were in charge.

Going the other direction, couldn't it have been a great spinoff series to follow her after she left?! Just think of how that could have been a great ship-bound Babylon 5 story. Think of how she would have had to deal with all the issues that would have come up from what had happened in the Civil War. And imagine how she could have fit into the continuing story from a distance while dealing with similar issues.

Okay taking the rings off and returning to my "normal" state of being on this forum..... It just sucks that she left the show. :scream: :scream: :scream:

- But I have no problem with Lochley. :)

Ironically it's now been long enough since the show aired that we could have a "Susan Ivanova - Leader of the Rangers" show.

Ironically it's now been long enough since the show aired that we could have a "Susan Ivanova - Leader of the Rangers" show.

TRUE and what a great idea. The question is would it deal with the themes JMS originally intended for LEGEND OF THE RANGERS? I don't think it could. There is a reason LOTR was meant to happen when it did. I don't believe the RANGERS could have continued another twenty years in their current mind set knowing their leadership's mindset. I think this wonderful idea would have to focus on new twenty years later roles and goals. Of course we could learn what was intended to happen in LEGEND OF THE RANGERS, even as a setup to what would be happening currently. :thumbsup:

Before Mira passed, I was thinking that there was still the opportunity to do a sequel with Delenn as President of the Alliance, Ivanova as Ranger One, and David Sheridan as a ranger under Ivanova's command, and all the drama that would come from David trying to live up to his father's name, and Delenn and Susan trying to reign him in. Could still do it I guess, but it would lose something without Delenn.

Before Mira passed, I was thinking that there was still the opportunity to do a sequel with Delenn as President of the Alliance, Ivanova as Ranger One, and David Sheridan as a ranger under Ivanova's command, and all the drama that would come from David trying to live up to his father's name, and Delenn and Susan trying to reign him in. Could still do it I guess, but it would lose something without Delenn.

WOW! Another great idea, but alas never to be. :(

Never thought the Rangers would make a good theme for a new series/movie. I say stuff the books and comics and do a new angle on the Telepath War and Centauri Prime after the end of Series 5. Stuff Crusade as well I'm over viruses ;)

Hey guys!

Sorry for late the late reply, I've been re-watching Babylon 5 from the beginning and it's great lol! I've just moved onto Season 3 so it starts getting really good from here on in.

Not too sure if I will re-watch the last season to be honest, I really wasn't a big fan of all the major changes that went down leading into that season, Ivanova leaving, Garibaldi completely changed roles and wasn't in as many episodes due to that, Londo was pretty much gone at this stage as well, Sheridan stepping down and taking on the more political role as president of the alliance, I mean he really went on the back burner because of this role and it just felt completely wrong for him to go this direction.

Too much changed for the worse imo for Season 5, almost left you feeling like there was big hole during season 5 with all those changes, just a bit too much and too different and I guess it could have came down to JMS trying to spice things up with the main story line being finished by this point going against the Shadows, which is the best story line of all time lol, loved that.

Not too sure if I will re-watch the last season to be honest, I really wasn't a big fan of all the major changes that went down leading into that season, Ivanova leaving, Garibaldi completely changed roles and wasn't in as many episodes due to that, Londo was pretty much gone at this stage as well, Sheridan stepping down and taking on the more political role as president of the alliance, I mean he really went on the back burner because of this role and it just felt completely wrong for him to go this direction.

I can only tell you that you're mis-remembering, *expecially* if you think " Londo was pretty much gone at this stage as well," Suggest you try to go into it with fresh eyes, unprejudiced by Christian having bailed and see what you think. Yeah, there were changes to all the characters, that's exactly how the show was designed.

... Not too sure if I will re-watch the last season to be honest, I really wasn't a big fan of all the major changes that went down leading into that season, Ivanova leaving, Garibaldi completely changed roles and wasn't in as many episodes due to that, Londo was pretty much gone at this stage as well, Sheridan stepping down and taking on the more political role as president of the alliance, I mean he really went on the back burner because of this role and it just felt completely wrong for him to go this direction. ...

I'd definitely second that suggestion, that you go ahead and try rematching Season 5. It's definitely filled with stories taking a different turn and problems becoming more subtle. It wraps up so many individual arcs, at least as far as they related to Babylon 5, that I can't real imagining the series ending without it.

Also agree that S5 does have some positives, mostly that it wraps up the Centauri Prime arc and of course it has Sleeping in Light (yeah, I know this was technically shot during S4 and later replaced and bumped to the end of S5 when they got renewed).

I always feel like the telepath arc drags S5 down a bit, it just never felt that well executed to me. The tail end of S5 is worth it. And, it's more B5... which we were lucky to get... before the diminishing returns of ill fated spin offs sets in.

Hey all!

Been a while since I have posted and just wanted to come say Hi and see how you're all doing!

Time does fly I did not realize the last time I posted was May!! crazy how time just slips away from you.

So yeh, how's everyone doing?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back