• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

RIP Farrah Fawcett

Markas

His Majesty
It seems strange to be saying goodbye to one of Charlie's Angels, but sadly Farrah has died from the cancer she has been battling for some time.

Farrah Fawcett, whose stunning looks and blinding smile made her a pop icon of the 1970s, has died. She was 62.

Her spokesman, Paul Bloch, says Fawcett died Thursday morning in a Santa Monica hospital. Her 2 1/2-year battle with cancer was depicted in the TV documentary "Farrah's Story."

She burst on the scene in 1976 as one-third of the crime-fighting trio in TV's "Charlie's Angeles." A poster of her in a clingy swimsuit sold in the millions.

She left the show after one season but had a flop on the big screen with "Somebody Killed Her Husband." She turned to more serious roles in the 1980s and 1990s, winning praise playing an abused wife in "The Burning Bed."
This is, of course, the famous poster of her. EVERYONE had it at the time. Even me.

farrahfawcettposter.jpg

I was coming over here to post about this, but I see I've been beaten to it. My mom watched that special that NBC or whichever channel it was did on her dealing with cancer; it really took a toll on her as she tried all the various medical proceedures she could to fight it off. It was very sad to watch.

Some days it really does seem that the stars that once burned brightly are waning, fading and being snuffed out so swiftly.. and the stars that wax and rise to succeed (I shall not say replace), do not burn anywhere near as brightly.

I was still in nappies in 76 but I'd seen Charlie's Angels repeated plenty enough as a nipper.

Sad day.:(

My lover and I saw the special a couple weeks back ourselves, and were heartbroken by it. Sad to see such a short time later she lost that battle. I enjoyed her in Charlie's Angels as a kid, as well as Saturn 3. As an adult, I found her serious roles, such as Extremities and the one about the mother being suspected of killing her children. Haven't seen the BUrning Bed, but, heard about it frequently. Maybe it's time to finally watch t.

I had to Google him. I don't think he was that well known over here across the pond was he?

However it does explain why his name has been trending on Twitter for the past few days.

Really? I thought you all watched Johnny Carson (The Tonight Show) every bit as much as we Americans? Ed McMahon was Johnny Carson's right hand man. Though maybe you're too young and know the Tonight Show as Jay Leno?

Really? I thought you all watched Johnny Carson (The Tonight Show) every bit as much as we Americans? Ed McMahon was Johnny Carson's right hand man. Though maybe you're too young and know the Tonight Show as Jay Leno?

Is 34 too young?

I've only in recent years chanced upon the Tonight Show because it sometimes cropped upon digital channels. Prior to the digital revolution, I don't recall seeing it.

I wouldn't think that shows like The Tonight Show would be particularly popular either in syndication or in other countries. Talk shows everyone has.

Yes, and now today another reminder from the pseudo-celebrity world (infomercials and commercials guy) that even a minor blow to the head can be EXTREMELY serious. I don't know the man's name, but everyone who watches t.v. in the USA knows the guy, he was one of the most popular of the informercial "hosts" or announcers. He died some time after (like maybe a day?) receiving a blow to the head on an airplane trip (I think something fell down from the luggage rack).

Never dismiss even a seemingly insignificant head injury.

That guy had the most annoying voice I have ever heard, so I can't honestly say I will miss him, but that's too young to die...

The whole Farrah story is just sad. Here was a vibrant woman full of life that just wasted away because of that awful disease. She was brave and fought her battle with dignity and grace.

I didn't watch much of Farrah's story, however because it brings back too many painful memories. My mother fought a long 16 month battle with cancer a couple years ago, and unfortunately, she lost her battle. It was like 16 months of hell for her and my sister and I, especially the last 6 months or so. My mother's cancer was kidney, so I know it was a different form that what Farrah had, but utimately it was the same outcome...cancer reducing a person full of life and happiness to a shell of their former self.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back