• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Ship Of Tears

Messages From Earth

• C -- Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
I wanted to make sure I had everyone's attention so I typed in all caps.IMHO 1,23 are the best and the ones I wil reread over again.If your referring to the Psi Corps,technomage,centauri are in hardback I know I have them.

Actually, I think The Science Fiction Bookclub issued the three B5 trilogies in single-volume ombnibus hardcover editions. Don't know if they're still available, but I suspect they turn up on eBay if they exist.

Regards,

Joe

They are from the science fiction book club but the only way you can get them now is through ebay,amazon or barnes and noble .I got one from the latter technomage I think,Psi corps came from a comic store and the other amazon.

They are from the science fiction book club but the only way you can get them now is through ebay,amazon or barnes and noble .I got one from the latter technomage I think,Psi corps came from a comic store and the other amazon.

You're saying that it might be possible to get more copies of the paperbacks I already have, through Amazon or Barnes & Noble, not the omnibus hardcover editions, correct?

Actually, I think The Science Fiction Bookclub issued the three B5 trilogies in single-volume ombnibus hardcover editions. Don't know if they're still available, but I suspect they turn up on eBay if they exist.

I should've bought them. No hits at Science Fiction Book Club today.

You're saying that it might be possible to get more copies of the paperbacks I already have, through Amazon or Barnes & Noble, not the omnibus hardcover editions, correct?

That's the only hardcover editions I know of are the ombinus editions by the science fiction book club edition .What else did you think I was refering to ?Keep dreaming about realeasing indiviual ones. If you want indiviual copies of each book then make it yourself .I was only making suggestions and the only hardcovers I know of are the science fiction book club editions.

That's the only hardcover editions I know of are the ombinus editions by the science fiction book club edition. What else did you think I was refering to?
See below the **************************************** line.

Keep dreaming about realeasing indiviual ones. If you want indiviual copies of each book then make it yourself.
:confused: :confused: :confused: If I want individual copies of each paperback in each of the three trilogies, all I have to do is re-buy them at Amazon, WaldenBooks, Barnes & Noble, Borders or elsewhere. I want each of the three trilogies as <u>one book each</u>, in <u>hardback</u>, i.e. the onmibus editions. Reason: The hardbacks would not degrade as fast as the pulp paperbacks, and would be sturdier.

You said:

They are from the science fiction book club but the only way you can get them now

Presumably the "they" and "them" are referring to the omnibus editions (hardback), because you linked "they" and "them" with "the science fiction book club." BUT then you go on to say:

... is through ebay,amazon or barnes and noble.

Hence my :confused:confusion :confused: about amazon or barnes and noble having the omnibus editions.

I got one from the latter technomage I think,Psi corps came from a comic store and the other amazon.
They are from the science fiction book club but the only way you can get them now

I thought ONLY the Science Fiction Book Club EVER handled the omnibus editions of the Psi Corps, Legions of Fire, and Technomage trilogies.

Good afternoon everyone, and welcome to today' s section of "English as a Second Language"

:)

Joe

So, do you think:

...was unambiguous?

I did but there could have been a few extra words in there to make it more clear. I'd've written it:

"They are from the science fiction book club but the only way you can get them now is <u>as used books</u> through ebay,amazon or barnes and noble . (and then the message continues to explain where that poster got his/her copies.

Jan

I did but there could have been a few extra words in there to make it more clear. I'd've written it:

"They are from the science fiction book club but the only way you can get them now is <u>as used books</u> through ebay,amazon or barnes and noble . (and then the message continues to explain where that poster got his/her copies.

Jan

AHA!!!!!!! (as Jan does the Charlie Brown triple back flip due to surprise/shock) :LOL:

Forgot Amazon and Barnes & Noble sold used books. I associated those names only with new books.

I like Ship of Tears- I give it a B. Its got Bester, its got Shadows, its got some nice G'Kar/Delenn scenes, the unveiling of the War Room, the discovery that telepaths can stop Shadow vessels, some nice stuff at the beginning with Sheridan testing the Thunderbolts, and the scenes in Medlab with Carolyn are pretty creepy, and look totally different to anything seen in the series up to this point. Really really well designed, great cinemtography, good direction. The only problem is that with all this stuff going on, it also feels a bit transitional, and theres no conclusions- although at this stage in the series, you wouldn't expect any- its full speed ahead!

A.

The two greatest parts of this episode are more complexity being added to Bester's character, and the touching scene between Delenn and G'kar.

Excellent episode! This marks a turning point, the discovery of a possibility to defeat the Shadows.

ISN is back, but there's a difference - that glib, cheerful reporter's voice, reading government propaganda, lets us know very quickly that all is not well on that front.

Delenn and G'Kar - wonderful moments. First her decisiveness to face him with the truth: "The choice is mine, the responsibility is mine." (Again, compare this to Londo's attitude to choice.) Her compassion really shines in the scene, and G'Kar's attitude to forgiveness has changed - for the first time, he says "perhaps" instead of "never".

Bester is an unexpected guest, and we see him from an unusual point of view - as a human and as a partner. We find that his is an arranged marriage - that rings a bell somewhere. Wasn't there a reference to PsiCorps arranged marriages in an earlier episode?

The introduction of the War Room at the end is both ominous - war will come - and hopeful - we will be prepared.

Bester is an unexpected guest, and we see him from an unusual point of view - as a human and as a partner. We find that his is an arranged marriage - that rings a bell somewhere. Wasn't there a reference to PsiCorps arranged marriages in an earlier episode?

Two episodes actually.

In "A Race Through Dark Places" a fugitive telepath tells Talia of how she was forcibly inpregnated when she refused to marry the man Psi-Corps chose for her. And how her child was taken from her at birth.

In "Soul Mates" we learn that Talia herself had a marriage arranged for her by the Corps - to the slimy Matt Stoner. Talk about a mismatch!

The forced pregnancy mentioned in "Dark Places" makes my curious about something. What would be the status of IVF in the 23rd century? And surrogacy? To my mind there would be little need in the 23rd century to forcibly impregnate a woman. All Psi-Corps would needed to have done, would be to have harvested some of the woman's eggs, and done IVF and used a surrogate. It's quite common, even now.

Well, look at that, Mr. Bester has feelings! I see that's been discussed at length in this thread, and I now know which books to read to learn more about Bester and his feelings. I have not yet read any of the Babylon 5 books or comics, although I did recently order "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" (while watching the first season, on a whim I googled "What happens to Catherine Sakai after Sinclair travels through time?" or something similar, and was lead to that book). I haven't yet read it, though. I don't know why I seem to be waiting until after I'm done watching all the episodes .. Not like there's anything I have't seen before that might be spoiled ...

I'm kind of surprised that people are so optimistic about ISN returning. I mean, I'm sure they're happy that there's going to be something on and they won't be so disconnected, but surely they'll have to know that ISN is still operating under President Clarke's regime? They were all there when ISN went offline, they saw how it went ...Especially Ivanova, she has never been much of an optimist, now has she? :p

I feel for them when that chipper anchor starts telling great big lies, and happy, optimistic expectation is suddenly over.

It's interesting that whenever a group of people are watching an ISN broadcast on a public TV somewhere in the Zocalo, a single person can turn it off (by saying "off!!", no less :p), and no one else in the audience ever says "Hey, I was watching that!!"

The new Star Furies are pretty neat. Who is that behind Sheridan in the one Star Fury? Just a random unnamed pilot?

Bester's elaborate plan to get to Babylon 5 is an interesting one .. and necessary, I suppose. It's an interesting new "alliance". The bits with him on the White Star are pretty funny. The frozen telepaths part is mostly just sad ... especially the one that wakes up and entangles herself with all the electronics in medlab.

The parts with Delenn and G'Kar are great. I can't help but feel bad for the both of them.

Garibaldi is pretty funny in his smugness as he waits for everyone to arrive in the war room. "Do not THUMP the book of G'Quon .. it is disrespectful!" is a pretty good line, too :D And what a great "reveal"! The Shadows don't like telepaths! A weapon, at last!

I have not yet read any of the Babylon 5 books or comics, although I did recently order "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" (while watching the first season, on a whim I googled "What happens to Catherine Sakai after Sinclair travels through time?" or something similar, and was lead to that book). I haven't yet read it, though. I don't know why I seem to be waiting until after I'm done watching all the episodes .. Not like there's anything I have't seen before that might be spoiled ...

It's pretty good, one of the best tie-in novels and I think considered 100% canon by JMS (his ex-wife did write it after all). I'd read it after watching War Without End, just so you can refresh your memory about Sinclair's storyline. The book also shows you the other side to Sinclair's message to Garibaldi in Coming of Shadows and Rathenn, who is in the book and also some of the comics is also in WWE and Grey 17.

You might also want to read the comic series In Valen's Name. The art is a bit iffy, the story is okay but it ties in with WWE and To Dream In the City of Sorrows. Join all the pieces together and the ending to Sinclair's (and Sakai's) story is quite satisfying – though look out for a huge typo at the end of the comic.

In fact, read all the comics – they all tie into the series one way or another.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back