• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Aimee Mann hates playing these vampire towns.

(That, btw, is the song from the show and is found on her album Lost In Space).
(Yes I know she is not the first big name artist to play the Bronze, with The Breeders and Michelle Branch having made appearances, but this is the first one whose music I actually listen to.)

About half-way into the season the arch-villain is identified. Spike has a "trigger," according to Xander, but I'm not worried he'll steal a submarine like in the war movies.

The last big twist is that Principle David Palmer's Brother is in league with EEEEEEVVVIIILLLLLL....

lol @ Andrew's analogy of witchcraft to fertility and femininity.

Angelus just declared that The Beast is working for someone. I'm hoping it turns out to be the First Evil. I'm suffering from apocalypse fatigue, with so much end of the world all the time, it's pretty absurd, but at least if they're connected it could make some kind of "sense."

Another killer performance from Hannigan as she turned into Warren. Of course now Willow should take out bitch witch Amy, but this show has a pattern of allowing villains off the hook to come back in future episodes.

We never see anything identified as an ultimate good sort of entity on Buffy. There are the "Powers That Be" on Angel, though, that provide the visions for Doyle and Cordelia.

On Angel, the Beast is working for someone, but it's not the First.

I had a strong hunch you might enjoy Faith's return. I love how she instantly changes from her bitter, snarky side to all business when Wesley tells her Angelus is back.

So, you're up through Angel's "Salvage"? Meaning, if you've been going by the list I had posted, you've seen Buffy's "Get It Done," not to mention Angel's "Calvary"? I'm curious what your thoughts were on them.

Get It Done:
The shadow show carousel thing was pretty cool. It looked like they presented the Big Reveal as the fact that the first slayer was created, but I kinda figured that. They didn't reveal why it had to be a girl though... the only thing I can thing of is how some ancient cultures sacrificed young women, but I that's more of a South American thing than African?
I was also taken aback but impressed at how quickly she turned against them. A marker of her growing rejection of authority, brought home really hard in the episode I just finished watching, where Principal David Palmer's Brother tries to kill Spike while Giles distracts her.

Buffy and Giles' relationship is the most interesting one on the show for me, and with this violation of trust and the fact that the series is almost over, that relationship is over. Perhaps a necessary part of Buffy's transition to war leader.

Calvary:
That the one where they reveal Cordelia as the villain? It was alright I guess.. I dunno, the whole Angel thing is a big blur. Not a bad blur, just chugging along as a well-made sci-fi story. I just don't have any strong reactions to it positive or negative.

Observation: Buffy unwittingly repeats to both Principal David Palmer's Brother and Spike the most hurtful phrase that women from their pasts have told them.

"You're beneath me."
"The mission comes first."

Well this is interesting: wiki told me that in the original plan for the Angel pilot they had a scene where Angel drinks blood from a victim, but they were ordered to take that out. Now in the middle of season 4, they put that in some flashback/coma-duel w/ Faith.

Also, in Sunnydale Willow is scared to use any magic, but in L.A. she goes all-out.

haha, Angel vs Angel reminds me of Superman 3.

Fred or Gunn will die or leave soon. This is the pattern on these shows: couple on the outs get back together, so someone dies or leaves. Oz, Tara, Riley, Angel. Xander potentially getting back w/ Anya, and he's the more major character, so Anya's in trouble...

It's not made quite as clear in the episode, but there's an exchange in a comic called Tales Of The Slayers. There are a few interesting stories, but they're all short, so I wouldn't say it's something you absolutely need to check out by any means. But to tell the portion, I'm referencing...

The first story is about the first slayer. She stakes a vampire and some woman from some local village brings her a basket of food and to ask her to leave. The script, written by Joss Whedon, is such...

The slayer is thinking to herself. "I am alone. There is the fight, but it will be brief. There is the beast, but it will be dust. They will be gone, and I will once again be a--"

"Excuse me," some woman with a basket of food interrupts the slayer's thoughts after the vampire is destroyed. "I have been sent to you. Please do not be angry at my intrusion. I bring gifts, food, and supplies from the village. Our elders thank you for saving us from the demons and ask that you leave. They say you are part demon. They say that the Shadowmen made you born with demon inside and that is how you are able to fight the vampires. That's why they fear you. Why they ch-chose only one. They say that when you die, there will be another girl chosen. And then another, for always. And you will be in them and they in each other and you will never die. I wanted you to know of that."

The slayer takes the basket and leaves. She returns to her thoughts. "Others. The thought fills me with feelings I have to struggle to name. Confusion. Pity. Comfort. There will be others... like me."

Essentially, the Shadowmen chose one girl to force the demon in and made it so that it would be only one girl because they saw it as their best way to control the weapon they saw themselves as creating. It was so that they could control her. Just like the Shadowmen's decendents: the Watchers.

Oh! And what did you think about the Watcher's Council being blown up?

Yes, Calvary is the revelation that Cordelia is the Beast's master.

And yeah, I love the scene in which Buffy tells Principal Wood that if he goes after Spike again, that Spike will kill him, and even more importantly that she'd let him. And great observation about the lines Buffy says to Spike and Wood.

Last edited:
Back