• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New Doctor Who!

All together now!

DANGA DAN, DANGA DAN, DANGA DAN, DIDDILY DUM;
DANGA DAN, DANGA DAN, DANGA DAN;
WHOOO, OOOO, OOOO :LOL:

OK, now is the time for speculation about who can play the good timelord. I think Paul McGann should have first refusal, but after that who would you pick?

It would depend on what kind of Doctor you want. Ian Richardson would be good, but then soo would Richard E Grant, that guy who played the Deamon headmaster, and of course our own Jason Carter.

Suggestions, on a postcard or stuck down enevelope to the concrete doughnut please. :p

Despite the flaws of the Fox movie, I liked Paul McGann's take on the character, and I'd like to see more of him.

I thought David Warner would be an interesting Doctor, kind of a throwback to the curmudgeonly Hartnell days. But the execs would never go for it.

Jason Carter would bring a lot of fun to the part. :)

I'd really like to see McGann back in the role. He played it really well and continues to do so in the Big Finish Audio Productions. It would be a waste to have the entirety of one of the Doctor's incarnations consisting of a single TV movie.

I have yet to make a judgement on REG until I hear/see the BBCi webcast in November. It's sort of ironic that he had already played the Doctor in "The Curse of the Fatal Death" as one of the future Doctors (although not the ninth).

I'm curious as to how they'll handle the show with only a six-episode run, though. Hopefully the eps will be longer than before. I mean, back in the old days a six-parter was a season finale!

But hey, anything's better then nothing, right?

If it's true, then I say: YEA!

*Hyp does happy dance*

I adored Dr. Who. :cool:

Fear not hypatia its offical

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3140786.stm

I agree that McGann deserves first crack at it since he nailed it so well in the movie.

I have spent endless hours dreaming of the show's return since it ended. The big quetion in my mind is whether they will try to continue on or remake the series and take it back to the begining?

I'm curious as to how they'll handle the show with only a six-episode run, though. Hopefully the eps will be longer than before. I mean, back in the old days a six-parter was a season finale!

According to Shaun Lyon at Outpost Gallifrey:

Outpost Gallifrey has reason to believe that the six episode quote from the Telegraph article may be incorrect, and the number of episodes may even eventually be higher than that.

Shaun has generally been right about these things in the past...

Thanks for the info, everyone! :cool:

I hope it can actually happen. I also have been hearing of a Red Dwarf movie, but it seems to be something in perpetual limbo.

I'd personally like to see Sylverst McCoy back in the role. But I'm equally sure I'll be happy enough with anyone they pick.

But one serious question: can it be Dr. Who without The Master? :D Even Rowan Adkinson's spoof involved The Master. :LOL: The Master having some very bad years, but The Master nonetheless. :D

Sorry, hyp - the 1996 movie killed off Sylvester McCoy's Doctor. Unless they choose to ignore it, I doubt he'd return - except for maybe a multi-Doctor story. And the Master was in the movie, too. He came back to life as <cough> Eric Roberts.

But one serious question: can it be Dr. Who without The Master? :D

I now pass you over to my friend :cool:
-----------------

Of course it bloody can! Pardon the language, but the Master, like Davros, unfortunately became an overused and rather tedious villain.

To begin with, the show did perfectly well without him for its first eight years. Secondly, had Roger Delgado not been tragically killed in 1973, it was the production team's acknowledged intention that the Master would have been conclusively killed off in Jon Pertwee's final story. This script, probably to have been titled 'The Final Game', would have finally revealed the true relationship between the Doctor and the Master, and would have ended with the latter sacrificing his life/lives(?) to save the former, resulting in the Doctor's regeneration.

This never happened of course, and after the end of 'Frontier In Space' the Master was not seen again until 'The Deadly Assassin' in 1976.

We're assuming, of course, that the Master died in the Paul McGann movie, but if 'Dirty' Den can return to 'DeadEnders'[sic] after everyone thought that he was dead for fourteen years, I suppose that anything is possible. However, I would not be sorry if the Master did not reappear in the new series. Like Davros, pretty much everything that could be done with the character was done, and in the end he just became a bore.

----------
The Doctor

'We are not of this race, we are not of this earth. We are wanderers in the fourth dimension of space and time.' 'Doctor Who' - The Pilot Episode

We're assuming, of course, that the Master died in the Paul McGann movie

Assuming that would be to ignore all the other instances in which he "died". There are quite a few shows where he had apparently done so at the end only to return again. And in the TV movie, the plot device used - the snake - was actually taken from the novel "First Frontier", part of the series of New Adventures published after the show's demise. The Master's mind now "inhabits" the snake, and all he has to do is find another body. So, even though he can't regenerate anymore, he doesn't really die.

I agree with your friend, though, about the tedious recurrences of the character. Anthony Ainley's performances always came off as a hamfisted attempt to recapture Delgado's portrayal.

And for fans who have kept up with the BBC books, there is another character who has taken the torch from the Master as the Doctor's nemesis - Sabbath. So if the new series does in fact star Paul McGann, it could well be that Sabbath is the new villian as well. Then again, incorporating the key elements of the book series could be messy...

Paul McGann was pretty good, but these are my top three picks for a new Dr., not that any have a chance...

Patrick McGoohan
James Woods
Wayne Alexander

Assuming that would be to ignore all the other instances in which he "died". There are quite a few shows where he had apparently done so at the end only to return again.

I do believe the Master has returned from being totally, finally, completely dead even more times than Davros... :)

So if the new series does in fact star Paul McGann, it could well be that Sabbath is the new villian as well. Then again, incorporating the key elements of the book series could be messy...

Messy, indeed. As much as I enjoy (many of) the novels, I don't think those story threads would translate particularly well to the TV screen. They're a bit too convoluted to be explained in dialogue...

And that's without even considering all the people who would be killed in fandom's canon wars... ;)

I suspect that we'll see a new series which, while not actually contradicting much of what came before, doesn't make very many references to it. Assuming rights issues can be worked out, we're probably doomed to see the Daleks, but I'd guess that most of the rest of the "villains" would be original. Though one never knows...

Paul McGann was pretty good, but these are my top three picks for a new Dr., not that any have a chance...

Patrick McGoohan
James Woods
Wayne Alexander

I would adore seeing any of them in this role, quite frankly. Any of them at all.

I have a soft spot for each, so I'd have trouble choosing if I did have the luxury to do so. :D

Baddies can be a Villain of the week or an old nemesis or a new one. I just hope there's a good story.

We don't need the doctor fighting Bertie Basset..I mean The Candyman. We need more like The Curse of Fenric, battling against Lovecraft's He Who Shall Not Be Named (aka Hastur)

Oh bum, I named him...ERk....

Dr. Who must be British not American . I heard that Alan Davies might play The Doctor
(btw hypatia it is Rowan Atkinson not adkinson !!!)

I saw a headline about this on some site I landed on by mistake when I clicked the wrong link on some other site (when I should have been working). Just then my phone rang and I had to stop screwing around and do something job-related with my browser and never found my back to where I had been.

But I swear the headline - and this may well have been a gag - said something about Eddie Izzard playing the Doctor.

Personally I think it is a great idea, and one of the few things that might actually induce me to watch something with Dr. Who in the title. (I've tried, but honestly the appeal of the show completely escapes me. And it isn't because of the cheesey shot-on-video look or the sets, costumes and special effects that make Babylon 5 look like The Empire Strikes Back - give me a good story and the rest is unimportant - give me a bad one and the rest don't matter. But Dr. Who just doesn't do it for me. For all the times I've tried to watch it, I don't think I've ever made it through an entire episode.)

But Eddie Izzard... :D

The mind doth truly boggle. I'd have to watch that. ;)

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back