• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Falling Toward Apotheosis

Would you be interested in a regular (weekly?) chat at some future-defined location?

• C -- Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
Vorlon vs. Vorlon. How can this be bad?

LOL.

I really enjoyed this episode. It has the usual good mixture of drama and action. The Vorlon battle was great, and it was interesting to finally see what they really looked like. We also see how powerful they really are - requiring a small army, AND a First One to destroy it! My only slight critisism is that the place where Ulkesh was electrified was marked in a "this is a trap" kind of way, he must have been pretty dumb to fall for that old trick ;) (my memory of it is a little vague so it might not be quite as bad as I remember)

It was also intersting to see how G'Kar finally lost his eye. Another thread, neatly tied up ;)

Vorlon vs. Vorlon. How can this be bad?

LOL.

I really enjoyed this episode. It has the usual good mixture of drama and action. The Vorlon battle was great, and it was interesting to finally see what they really looked like. We also see how powerful they really are - requiring a small army, AND a First One to destroy it! My only slight critisism is that the place where Ulkesh was electrified was marked in a "this is a trap" kind of way, he must have been pretty dumb to fall for that old trick ;) (my memory of it is a little vague so it might not be quite as bad as I remember)

I chalked that up to Ulkesh's arrogance. He didn't fear a trap, because he "knew" the humans were no threat to him.

And that particular trap was indeed no threat to him. Sure, it busted up his encounter suit, but that didn't really affect his strength.

One of my favorite episodes! The Vorlon battle was truly something special. When watching this episode during the first run my eyes went wide and my jaw dropped when I saw the Vorlon's true form emerge and do battle. Epic stuff.

My only nit-pick is that the Lyta actress could have done a much better job of ACTing while pulling off her deception of Ulkesh. Not slick at all :p But I love her anyway.

-----------------
Old account 'Khurzhor' seems to be deleted, so I made a new one. Amazing to see so many of the same people lurking these forums after so much time :D Cheers.

My only nit-pick is that the Lyta actress could have done a much better job of ACTing while pulling off her deception of Ulkesh. Not slick at all :p But I love her anyway.
Ah, but is that Pat Tallman doing a poor job of playing Lyta, of Tallman doing a good job of playing Lyta as a bad actor.

Tallman doing a good job of playing Lyta as a bad actor.

That's how I've always seen the scene. Lyta's already had her ass knocked flat by Ulkesh at least once that we've seen. He's also made it well known to her that he doesn't give a crap about her; she's only there to service him and that's it, as far as he's concerned. She's been abused by him, so it would make total sense for me that she'd be scared out of her wits about having to deceive him into this ambush. And that fear would definitely make it more difficult for her to be deceptive. And I think that that's what we see from her in that scene: Lyta -- the character -- so scared that she -- the character -- can't pull off deception well.

Normally I might agree but Tallman so often delivered subpar performances (at least up until Byron's death) that I'm inclined to believe that this is just yet another one.

For the most part, I always like Tallmans performances and she was infinately better than Andrea Thompson IMO.

The only time she did a poor job was the episode on Mars when they are freeing Garibaldi. She goes on a bit being a good liar etc. I felt embarrased watching that, it was pretty terrible, but I guess part of that was probably the writing as well (sorry JMS).

Back on the topic though, I agree that Ulkesh was so arragant that he didn't consider the humans a threat. I never really thought about it that way before, so thanks for pointing it out.

The only time she did a poor job was the episode on Mars when they are freeing Garibaldi. She goes on a bit being a good liar etc. I felt embarrased watching that, it was pretty terrible, but I guess part of that was probably the writing as well (sorry JMS).

Hmmmm, I liked her in that. Pat as Lyta seemed genuinely peeved and at the same time, caught off-balance and a novice at those kinds of interactions. It was a kinda funny. She's this super-powered teep who's acting like a regular person who's just had a joke played on her, and it went right over her head.

She IS a bad liar, though. That's why she was acting all squirlly when she was leading Ulkesh to doom. :)

And that's why she couldn't lie to Sheridan when she blew up Z'Ha'Dum. And it was Franklin who gulped. I just saw that episode again and I made sure to pay attention. Durn doctors....

I love this episode. Out of all the episodes, this one best portrays the epic, galaxy-wide war and looming devastation better than any other. The Vorlons with their planet killer, the army of light massing at B5, colonies and worlds all across the Galaxy falling, Ivanova announcing it all live on air, the defeat of Ulkesh and Londo's line to Sheridan: "Good luck to all of us" spells out how dire the situation is, but how the younger races are becoming united in their darkest hour. Plus perhaps the most chilling ending to an episode ever. Superb stuff, A star.

I really liked this one for many of the reasons stated above.

I'm giving it an A.

One question I'm hoping someone hear could answer. While Kosh and Ulkesh formerly had a respect for each other, it's clear to me that Kosh realized that Ulkesh had to be stopped.

However, it appears that

Kosh went with the new vorlon into the ship, and that final blast was what did the job ultimately.

My question is about the "final blast." What caused it? B5 didn't shoot it. Does that mean that Kosh self destructed the ship somehow to destroy Ulkesh (and likely prevent immediately retaliation on B5). What exactly went on that caused the ship to blow and kill Kosh and Ulkesh? I'm assuming Kosh did it, but is there any clarification on this?

My only question is, where do you lot get 'Ulkesh' from?! :s

Pat Tallman = terrible actor a lot of the time. No timing either. But she makes up for it with that stare and those black lenses she gives - Top.

Anyway good episode. Pleased that we get to see what Vorlons really look like and not being left with some fantastical uber-nerdy stuff...

My only question is, where do you lot get 'Ulkesh' from?! :s

The Vorlon's real name was Ulkesh.

-JMS confirmed this and it is quoted in one of the Lurker's Guide pages.
-IMDB actually sites Ardwight Chamberlain as Ulkesh for those episodes
-The book "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" gives us his real name.

Ah right, so you need to be a nerd to know that.

I think I'll stick with what was only told in the official story and use Kosh or Kosh II ta... ;)

I think I'll stick with what was only told in the official story and use Kosh or Kosh II....

The novel To Dream In The City Of Sorrows is official story; it's one of the several novels that jms has deemed canon (plus, it was written by his wife if I'm not mistaken). And when jms talks about something B5 in an official way in his online correspondence with fans, it has the same weight as if it was in an episode. Here's the returned results of searching for "Ulkesh" in the archive of his online posts.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back