• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Predictions and expectations

Springer

Regular
So while talking to Looney in the Game of Thrones thread about predictions and expectations for the final episodes, it got me thinking about what people's various predictions for B5 were back in the day. I wasn't online during the first run of the show, so I never saw the discussions about what people thought might happen next.

So, what were some of the popular predictions back in the day? Did people see some of the plot twists coming, or were there any favourite outlandish theories? For example, between seasons 1 and 2, what did fans think Delenn was going to turn into? Between seasons 3 and 4 what did people think would happen to Sheridan? I know some people were disappointed in how the Shadow War ended, what were people's own theories about how that would end?

Oooo good idea. Just off the top of my head, I definitely did not see the Shadow War ending the way it ended, but I don't think I am alone in that one. ;)

WOW REALLY?!?!?!?! I thought this was a great idea and nobody else has anything?!?!?! :wtf:

SOOOOO I thought of some others. [SPOILERS AHEAD FOR ANYONE WHO IS WATCHING THE SHOW FOR THE FIRST TIME.]

In answer to some of you examples, I didn't see Season One in the original timeline. LOL I started watching the show at the start of Season 2, but I had seen some of it so I knew what she looked like before, but not enough to have predictions.

I made all KINDS of predictions after the fall at Z'Ha'Dum, but none of them included the introduction of The First One. LOL I remember thinking he was going to fall into something that somehow caught him. The fact that he was told to jump meant jumping was safe so that couldn't mean he was dead.

I would say I was disappointed in the Shadow War ending, but only with how quickly it seemed to wrap up. I didn't mind the method used, but I would have liked to see things stretched out to more episodes, but that is true for all aspects of B5. I think I predicted that somehow the Vorlons would come to their senses and stop fighting anyone who wasn't a Shadow.

Here are a couple of other items.

In ALL ALONE IN THE NIGHT, I thought Sheridan was going to be held captive longer than he was. I kind of wish he had been. That is an aspect of that episode I feel fell flat. They shouldn't have been able to wrap it up so quickly.

NEVER predicted Lennier's fate. Just didn't think things would happen that way. Same with Lyta.

Last edited:
I would say I was disappointed in the Shadow War ending, but only with how quickly it seemed to wrap up. I didn't mind the method used, but I would have liked to see things stretched out to more episodes, but that is true for all aspects of B5. I think I predicted that somehow the Vorlons would come to their senses and stop fighting anyone who wasn't a Shadow.

NEVER predicted Lennier's fate. Just didn't think things would happen that way. Same with Lyta.

These two definitely. Shadow War seemed to get its gears rolling and I was very hyped about the fate of the main characters and then, when all seemed to actually gain its momentum, it just stopped. Ended. Like that with snap of the fingers. I remember thinking back in the day, that it ain't right, there should've been more conflicts or something more.... I don't know. Explaining perhaps? With all the little exposition here and there, the Anla-Shok thing, all the subtle hints leading to this great battle between Shadows and Vorlons and every other in-between, it just fell a bit flat. If only it could've been stretched for a couple more episodes, I think I would be personally happier with the conclusion. But that's just my two euros.

Now to Lennier. Wow. Never saw that coming. During the first run, when it aired on local tv at about 2am during Sunday (technically though, it was Monday), I kinda missed all the subtlety of Lennier's character. I was either too tired, too young or just didn't see any of it coming. I mean Lennier, even though was "only" or "just" supporting character throughout the series, he was very likable and so just and even. Then this thing came with him just out of the blue. Wow. Caught me by surprise really. When the DVD's were released a couple of centuries ago and I re-watched the series once more, it all made sense actually. But then again, I wasn't a 15-16 year old anymore.

These two definitely. Shadow War seemed to get its gears rolling and I was very hyped about the fate of the main characters and then, when all seemed to actually gain its momentum, it just stopped. Ended. Like that with snap of the fingers. I remember thinking back in the day, that it ain't right, there should've been more conflicts or something more.... I don't know. Explaining perhaps? With all the little exposition here and there, the Anla-Shok thing, all the subtle hints leading to this great battle between Shadows and Vorlons and every other in-between, it just fell a bit flat. If only it could've been stretched for a couple more episodes, I think I would be personally happier with the conclusion. But that's just my two euros..

HAHAHAHA!!!!! I am always saying I wish we had much more exposition. I wish there were soooooo many more episodes where more plot lines were allowed to flourish.

I am currently re-watching the entire B5-series on dvd for the probably 10th time or so since the 1990s, so I can share some thoughts in this thread.

In answer to some of you examples, I didn't see Season One in the original timeline. LOL I started watching the show at the start of Season 2, but I had seen some of it so I knew what she looked like before, but not enough to have predictions.

So did I ! *LOL* I started watching B5 season 2 on tv. But I soon caught up with what was what (and then watched season 1 later).

I made all KINDS of predictions after the fall at Z'Ha'Dum, but none of them included the introduction of The First One. LOL I remember thinking he was going to fall into something that somehow caught him. The fact that he was told to jump meant jumping was safe so that couldn't mean he was dead.

I did not either predict that he would be saved by The First One. I too thought he would be caught by some kind of net, alternatively that Kosh/Vorlons somehow would aid him. I still didn't feel confident he would survive but at the same time it seemed kinda drastic to write him out of the series.

I was a little disappointed by this too, how quickly the war ended. After the heavy build-up I think the war/heads-on conflict could have lasted longer. My prediction at the time was that the Vorlons would join up with Sheridan and his 'forces of Light' seeing the sense of cooperation to destroy the 'evil' Shadows. Not at all how it turned out, as we know.

Here are a couple of other items.

In ALL ALONE IN THE NIGHT, I thought Sheridan was going to be held captive longer than he was. I kind of wish he had been. That is an aspect of that episode I feel fell flat. They shouldn't have been able to wrap it up so quickly.

At the time, in the 1990s, Sheridan was my favourite B5-character besides Delenn so it pained me a great deal to watch the episodes where he was captured, tortured and humiliated. I had never thought/predicted that would happen. I was therefore more than happy when it was all over and fairly quickly wrapped up. In the years since then, as I have grown older, though I still like Sheridan as a character I have come to appreciate the (subtleties of the) characters of G'kar and Londo more, and so I can better understand those who feel that that part with Sheridan was perhaps wrapped up a little too quickly.

As for Lennier, I never expected/predicted his betrayal of Sheridan either. It disappointed me at the time since I always liked Lennier's character in the story, but in retrospect I can see his 'dilemma' in that situation. What disappointed me most was that they did not give us some sort of resolution with regards to Lennier. I would have liked to have seen him return to Delenn and Sheridan after doing his 'penance' as a Ranger, apologize and gain redemption (but then again I am a sucker for happy endings.. *grin*)

Talking of predictions, I Never saw the Sinclair-Valen arc coming, that took me completely by surprise and I thought it was wonderful!

What disappointed me most was that they did not give us some sort of resolution with regards to Lennier. I would have liked to have seen him return to Delenn and Sheridan after doing his 'penance' as a Ranger, apologize and gain redemption (but then again I am a sucker for happy endings.. *grin*)

See I agree and disagree with this. I was definitely disappointed we never got a really satisfying redemption plot for Lennier, but wouldn't have wanted to see him return to Delenn for anything more than a brief visit. It was DEFINITELY time for him to move on and find a different path.

Talking of predictions, I Never saw the Sinclair-Valen arc coming, that took me completely by surprise and I thought it was wonderful!

Yes total and complete agreement. I'm not sure there has ever been a better plot twist in the history of television.

the one plot twist I did not see coming was how the Shadows and Vorlons would hold hands and head off into the sunset together

I block out most of season 5

the one plot twist I did not see coming was how the Shadows and Vorlons would hold hands and head off into the sunset together.

There is a spinoff series for you. What happened after that moment? How long were they able to get along?

I have to admit that I did have a slight inclination that they would end up calling of hostilities. I think this prediction came about mostly because of the presence of Lorien. I felt Lorien was definitely the key to peace. I can't say I saw the ending exactly, but I knew it was a bit ridiculous to conclude that the younger races were going to come out on top in that three way battle without some sort of peaceful reconciliation spearheaded by Lorien.

Instead of going for predictions and expectations for B5, I am going to make by predictions for Crusade. That's gotta be more interesting.

We know that Bester would have been a recurring character, and that one script had already been written. We also have good reason to believe the Psi Corps ain't quite dead yet. With "Asimov" class liners hiding in space, Bester in hiding etc.

I think the Drakh and Psi Corps where cooperating. We know they where already cooperating with the shadows before they left.

Not only that, I think that the Drakh plague would have played out differently then simply killing all humans. My guess is that the plague would have gone for everyone without the telepath gene. We have seen how Edgars Industries made a decease targeting telepaths, and that the corps took it. With that knowledge, perhaps combined with some Drakh assistence, the decease could be changed to target "mundanes".

Telepaths would be safe. Latent telepaths would get a mindburst making them telepaths. These previously latent telepaths could then be traded by the corps to the Drakh as payment. The Drakh would use them to control/build Shadow tech weaponry.

Obviously, at some point the Excalibur found out and tried to warn Earthforce. But there are telepaths within EarthGov, which explains why the Excalibur would have gone rogue (as revelead by JMS).

I really wish there was a way for JMS just to write a Crusade book or comic book to finish out Crusade. It is NEVER going anywhere other than that path. I can't fathom why this hasn't happened yet. I can't imagine TNT/WB cares enough to create any obstacle to this process, though that is the ONLY explanation I can think of as to why the CRUSADE: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? books stopped.

I really wish there was a way for JMS just to write a Crusade book or comic book to finish out Crusade. It is NEVER going anywhere other than that path. I can't fathom why this hasn't happened yet. I can't imagine TNT/WB cares enough to create any obstacle to this process, though that is the ONLY explanation I can think of as to why the CRUSADE: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? books stopped.

Tell me about it. I've been anxious to read more about the whole Crusade debacle, but they just kinda stopped and disappeared. Has anyone asked JMS himself about this? I mean there must be a reason for this since clearly Vol.1 kinda stopped short of everything.

Tell me about it. I've been anxious to read more about the whole Crusade debacle, but they just kinda stopped and disappeared. Has anyone asked JMS himself about this? I mean there must be a reason for this since clearly Vol.1 kinda stopped short of everything.

after reading his book I am disappointed in the lack of B5 and Crusade behind the scenes stories. I asked him on twitter and he said both shows behind the scenes stories were beaten to death-I disagree

after reading his book I am disappointed in the lack of B5 and Crusade behind the scenes stories. I asked him on twitter and he said both shows behind the scenes stories were beaten to death-I disagree

Have you read any of the B5Books stuff? I'm not disagreeing with you, especially in the realm of Crusade, but there have been many books about the behind the scenes stuff so I kind of see his point - at least as far as B5 goes.

Latest posts

Members online

Back