• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Dust To Dust

The Fall Of Night

• C -- Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
I play the G'Kar/Kosh conversation over and over again. I love this episode.

And of course we've got Bester's immortal "pinata" line.

:D I really like this episode! I love the scene in C&C where Ivanova has decided to destroy Bester's ship. I thought it was very well played. She's tortured by it, understands the personal price she’ll pay, but she's going to do it.

And G'kar, :eek: under the effects of the dust...My gosh, Andreas is so good! It never ceases to amaze me the level of emotion that bleeds through all of the make up. Some actors can't break through it; the physical barrier is just too much, but not for Andreas. :cool: He is truly a master of his craft.

I watched this episode for the first time in ages just recently, and I was surprised at just how good it is. G'Kar taking a dose of dust is flabbergasting, and his epiphany is so crucial to his character. This is possibly the most important G'Kar episode in the series, and Andreas' performance is incredible- he runs the gamut of emotions and you can believe all of it.

Ivanova's attempt to blow up Bester is believable, and its an example of the high stakes the characters now find themselves in. Walter Koenig is, of course, wonderful as always.

I forgot about the pinata line. That was quite well written (and delivered). :)

And yes, Andreas Katsulas blew my mind with his performance in this episode.

Solid "A" for me. It's one of my favorites.

An episode I love, and part of the reason Im looking to having season 3 and four on dvd at christmas break.

I guess this indirectly answers Sinclair's question of Kosh once in season 1. Kosh says to him, "They are a dying people. We should let them pass." Sinclair asks, "Who, the Narn or the Centauri?" Kosh simply answers, "Yes".

Well, what I'm getting at is this... Kosh's answer to Sinclair can't be the Narns because he appears to G'Kar in his dream and indirectly encourages him to do what he needs to save his people. If he mean the Narns as his answer, he wouldn't have done that, so his answer had to be the Centauri. ;)

I would say that his answer means that either the Narns, or the Centauri, will die off, as a people, but not both. Perhaps Kosh just liked the Narns better, and so appeared to G'Kar, to tilt things in the Narns' favor. I know I like the Narns better.

Kosh says to him, "They are a dying people. We should let them pass." Sinclair asks, "Who, the Narn or the Centauri?" Kosh simply answers, "Yes".

I know it was another season, but reading that I think Sheridan nailed it when he said:

"Well, as answers go, short to the point, utterly useless and totally consistent, what I've come to expect from a Vorlon." :D

:D I'll bet Sinclair wished he had said that, I'm sure he felt exactly the same way!

I always took it to mean that both the Narn and the Centauri were screwed, but the either/or thing might be a better assessment. And JMS has said that neither race ever reaches the level the Humans and Minbari have achieved in "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars." As G'Kar says not long after, he's going to do what his revelation taught him to do to save everyone, but the Humans are the key.

Good point, KoshFan! Even thought the Centauri were supposedly the "Lion of the Galaxy" as Londo called them, in the long run they didn't reach the same level the Humans and the Minbari did.

I always took it to mean that both the Narn and the Centauri were screwed

This is certainly my understanding. G'Kar basically said that he saw the Narn as dying off eventually but at least they could become an example and catalyst for better future for life in general.

The Narn/Centauri conflict serves as a dramatic counterpoint to the Human/Minbari conflict, in that they are both warring planets that, following the natural inclination of people, could continue a never-ending cycle of violence and hatred. The former is the realisation of that horror why the latter is saved by enlightened people, with Babylon 5 as the instrument.

This was the first B5 episode I ever saw, and it so blew me away that I was converted at first sight. And the scene that clinched it for me? The one where G'Kar has his Dust enhanced vision and is informed by Kosh that some must be sacrificed so that all may be saved. It still sends a shiver up my spine.

I just love Kosh...

This is actually the second-to-last thing he did for our heroes before he died. He wasn't terribly active the last few weeks of his life, with the notable exception of sending out the fleet.

This was the first B5 episode I ever saw, and it so blew me away that I was converted at first sight. And the scene that clinched it for me? The one where G'Kar has his Dust enhanced vision and is informed by Kosh that some must be sacrificed so that all may be saved. It still sends a shiver up my spine.

Wow. That surprises me, somehow. I was a late to start watching B5 on a regular basis, but somehow figured you'd have to know something of the G'kar character to really get that scene.

Obviously the background given in that episode was enough to reel you in. :)

I shouldn't be surprised. If there is one thing JMS did for actors it is to show a lot of people that "this guy/gal has a much bigger range than any of you realized".

Walter Koenig: I think even JMS mentioned he knew how much more than "Chekov" he could be.

Andreas Katsulas: although I think now "The Fugitive" is his most mentioned role, hhis best role was that of G'kar. :)

Brad Dourif (sp?): I'd seen him many times in the movie Dune, and I was stunned to see just how much he could draw me into his acting when he was playing a sympathetic part.

I'm sure there are many others, these are the three that stand out in my mind. :)

I just love Kosh...

This is actually the second-to-last thing he did for our heroes before he died. He wasn't terribly active the last few weeks of his life, with the notable exception of sending out the fleet.

And that's why your nick is KoshFan! ;) :LOL:

Latest posts

Members online

Back