• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A B5 Complaint From a Newbie

:I'm afraid fantasy interrupted reality when I saw Sheridan batting so well; not sure he could really do that but it sure made me smile!
Remember that Sheridan was also a fighter jockey. That takes reflexes, eye-hand coordination, and the ability to track and predict (in real time) trajectories.

It doesn't surprise me that the character would be a decent hitter ...... at least off of a machine or other "recreational" players' pitching (major league pitching is a whole other thing).

Ah, as I suspected, not one of these:

L10433330.jpg

:D

We call that a dress :LOL:

We were them too sometimes ;)

Actually, It's a pinafore; a sleeveless dress worn over a jumper or blouse.

I don't think it's that Sheridan was a decent hitter in and of itself, but that he was a decent hitter batting right-handed while he is actually left-handed. While I knew he was left-handed, I never really payed any attention to him batting off-hand.

but that he was a decent hitter batting right-handed while he is actually left-handed. While I knew he was left-handed, I never really payed any attention to him batting off-hand.
Do we know that he (Boxlietner) was batting "off-hand"?

Not all right handed people *bat* right handed and not all left handed people *bat* left handed.

It is a little bit like what you see with hockey players: the majority of them play "left handed" (in terms of which way they hold the stick), but that doesn't mean that the majority of them *are* left handed.

Batting and playing hockey are two handed, whole body sorts of things. Individual people don't always do them the way that the nomenclature would imply relative to their normal dominant hand.

For example, I bat much better leftie than I do with my usual right hand. It's because my left eye is much better than my right, so I see the ball a lot better.

I surprised the heck out of a lot of people when I figured that one out...

The images are .jpg
Can your web browser display .jpg files?
Yes. It's IE6, and it does all the time, e.g. for:

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html

and

http://www.themadgoner.com/TMG/Sci_Fi/SciPages/Babylon5/Front_Page/Mark4_Build.htm

...and hundreds of other sites, and the image of the green dress here

http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/L10433330.jpg.

They all display A-OK.

Is your virus checker or firewall preventing the display?
No.

It's no big deal. At first I thought it was just a website that didn't allow the linking of images (i.e. via our IMG function), but the site won't display even when I go to it directly in a new window using any of the following URLs:

http://www.josephturner.co.uk/public/pictures/categories/cashmere.jpg
http://www.josephturner.co.uk/public/pictures/categories/cotton.jpg
http://www.josephturner.co.uk/Joseph...offercode=goo1

"The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

Every now and then, I encounter a site that gives me this kind of problem. Happens maybe 0.1% of the time. This is just one of those times. <shrug>

The links work when I click then from Firefox, even the ones in your quote.

Between all the types of browsers/versions, operating systems/versions, CPUs, settings possible in those browsers, and website makers trying to be compatible with all of that, who knows why certain things work from 999 sites and not the 1000th? I'm amazed that as much of it works as it does.

So I finally got my brother to start watching B5. He is just finishing up the Second Season now, and pretty much feels the same way about it that I felt at that point --- great show, First Season was really slow and dragged on, didn't really like Sinclair much, likes Sheridan better, and the story is really picking up and getting interesting. (Many of those opinions have changed after watching it a few times as you appreciate things more, but I felt that same way on first viewing).

Anyway, so we are going out to a bar last night and he was talking about where he was in the show, asking a couple questions, etc. Then he says "Ok, so I have one real complaint about the show thus far. Remember how in the Pilot Sinclair said he had to pull huge strings to get that Zen Rock Garden there because space was so precious that it was needed for plants to help with food and air? And how the second in command, (and eventually this also turned out to be Ivanova) had a rogue coffee plant that she had to sneak in because space could only be used for official business and plantlife? So why in the hell do they have an enormous freakin BATTING CAGE complete with center field????"

I sat there for a second, and pretty much had to agree with him. Yea, that does seem silly. What is worse, is he couldn't find a valid reason for it. Exactly how much demand would there be on a space station for an indoor baseball diamond? Given how much realism they tried to put into things that BELONGED on the station, it does seem rather silly. Its like, the only reason it was there was so Sheridan could be hitting baseballs while taking a break.

I had totally forgotten about that scene, but yea, seems pointless. Anyone else have any different or similar thoughts?

Personally I never really thought about that. You have to remember that JMS had to renogotiate each season for a new one and these little small things don't really bother me at all. Sure as a continuity problem I can understand but overall it's not anything I gave much thought too.

Also I agree the first half of the first season is full of character development but after episode 13 "Signs and Portents" the season really took off with the story arc. I really loved Sheridan as well but I also think that Sinclair's character was very very good too. The fact that he's Valen alone made his character very beloved and also that he's close to everyone from Garibaldi to Deleen.

Alex

I lofved it from the start, even the first airing of the gathering (Though admittedly the CGI was part of my fascination), but, where I became completely entranced and realized there was far more to the show than what I was seeing was "And the Sky full of Stars"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back