• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

World War Z

Sindatur

Regular
Is the script for World War Z done yet, and just waiting to go into Production, or is it held up by the Writer's Strike now? Can't wait to see JMS take on Zombies.

According to this post from late Sept.
...offers
to directors are going out on World War Z and as soon as someone says
yes it goes into production,...
Which isn't to say that there wouldn't be other drafts still to do but it seems that the majority of the work has been done for a while.

I'm about halfway through the book. I'll be very interested to see what JMS does with it.

Jan

According to this post from late Sept.

Which isn't to say that there wouldn't be other drafts still to do but it seems that the majority of the work has been done for a while.

I'm about halfway through the book. I'll be very interested to see what JMS does with it.

Jan

Thanks Jan. I'm interested in reading the book myself, but, generally like to see movies before reading the books, to get the added enjoyment, rather than the letdown movie adaptations generally are. I have faith in JMS, but, even he would need to change things for an adaptation book-to-screen, and if the book is long enough would have to drop things.

We're big horror buffs, and Zombies are the favorite of the Genre.

"World War Z" made it to the 'Black List' of favorite scripts chosen by high level producers and their assistants. Deadline Hollywood Daily "The Changeling" was on it last year. Way to go, JMS!

Jan

That name "Black list" doesn't sound impressive, but, I get the impression your post means several producers will be "fighting" over the opportunity to make it? That's great news. Brad Pitt's Production company are the ones who optioned it, right? Any idea if that's any indication who might direct?

That name "Black list" doesn't sound impressive, but, I get the impression your post means several producers will be "fighting" over the opportunity to make it? That's great news. Brad Pitt's Production company are the ones who optioned it, right? Any idea if that's any indication who might direct?

I gather that the 'black list' name is a swipe at the McCarthy-era blacklist. The new one is desireable to be placed on.

Yes, Brad Pitt's Plan B Entertainment commissioned it and Paramount is listed as the distributor. This is what JMS said in his latest year-end roundup post
( http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17698 ):

Paramount is still looking for an a-list director for World War Z, and
the moment they find one who says yes, that will go into production.
These are solid production offers.

Jan

Jan,

Not to be too off topic, but the writers strike WAS mentioned:D, I heard today that the Guild was urging a boycott of DVD sales as that is part of what the strike is about. From your avatar, I'm guessing your a tad more informed than I.:p:D Is this a fact and are there any other ways to show support? Thanks.

Fisheggs, you might want to check out http://www.fans4writers.com/ . It's a group that started out as Joss Whedon fans arranging a pizza drop to the writers and blossomed. Besides my avatar, I'm regularly sending postcards to the 'moguls' to urge them back to the bargaining table and I've contributed to sending them pencils and donated toward more food drops. All little things, but hopefully they'll all add up.

I hadn't heard of the DVD boycott. Most of my info comes from Nikki Finke at http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/ . As of last night the WGA has filed suit with the National Labor Relations Board over the moguls issuing ultimatums and conditions before they'll return to the bargaining table.

Glad you're interested and I hope others might be.

Jan

I have heard that a DVD boycott isn't a good idea, because most of the writers are living off of DVD residuals alone at the moment (pitiful as their percentage may be). If you want to support the writers, fans4writers.com has ways.

A very good review from Mr McWeeney. I'm reading the book myelf. It's odd that the serious WWZ is a follow-up to the satirical "Zombie Survial Guide", which was just a one-off gag book.

Did you know the author, Max Brooks, is a former SNL writer and the son of Mel Brooks and Ann Bancroft?

Re: 顶楼主

Wow, a semi-useful spambot. I was going to hunt this thread up, got too lazy to bother, and then the idiot 'bot goes and fetches it for me.

I read the book the other day and was very impressed; everything seemed to make a lot of sense, and I was especially pleased/unsettled by how each country reacted. It was a case of, "Oh, yes, the South Africans would have thought of that, wouldn't they? How dreadful, except how useful." It made perfect sense, nation-by-nation, the whole way through.

Re: 顶楼主

Wow, a semi-useful spambot. I was going to hunt this thread up, got too lazy to bother, and then the idiot 'bot goes and fetches it for me.

That's got to be a sure sign of the coming apocalypse! :LOL:

Jan

A very good review from Mr McWeeney. I'm reading the book myelf. It's odd that the serious WWZ is a follow-up to the satirical "Zombie Survial Guide", which was just a one-off gag book.

Did you know the author, Max Brooks, is a former SNL writer and the son of Mel Brooks and Ann Bancroft?

Now that is interesting. Thanks for the info! :D

Any kind of disease-spread threat could have been used... I admit I have to wonder why the 'flesh-eating zombies' was chosen. First there was the vampire craze, then came the comic book craze, is it the zombie craze next?

But, as it does sound like a good story despite the FEZ, I may check it out in book form. I do hear from a variety of sources that it's a particularly good one. Hopefully that won't translate into a bad film (as is so often the case).

Any kind of disease-spread threat could have been used... I admit I have to wonder why the 'flesh-eating zombies' was chosen. First there was the vampire craze, then came the comic book craze, is it the zombie craze next?

I am sure that Pat Tallman hopes that zombies are the next craze. She stars in the movie "Dead Air"
Dear Air website

Woke up this morning to news in Variety that Marc Forster is on board to direct "World War Z".

As for "WWZ," "The genre always fascinated me, and when they pitched it to me, it reminded me of the paranoid conspiracy films of the '70s like 'All the President's Men,' " Forster told Daily Variety.

Par bought the book for Plan B in 2006, and it is one of several high-profile projects for the company headed by Pitt, who next stars for the studio in the David Fincher-directed "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

Looks like this could be really big!

Jan

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back