• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

most favorite B5 season intro & theme?

Galen

Regular
<font color="#BB0000">B5 NEWBIE WARNING: SPOILER THREAD AHEAD!!!</font color>

Well, the subject bar-title should speak for itself in saying all... I was just watching season 5's introduction sequence and corresponding music theme again today... and taking into consideration that I've always been a huge fan of the "Voices of Authority" track (I mean I've even went as far as to composing the core of the chorus segment for my Nokia cellphone's ringing tone... pity my phone's screen gave in just the other day though /forums/images/icons/frown.gif ), it comes as no surprise that I really liked season 5's intro in all! And with the intro being an almost overview and summary of its previous 4 seasons, I think the intro left a tone for change and conclusion in the same breath. I'm not saying or suggesting that the intro theme change was for the better or worse, or that the theme was better or worse than the first 4 seasons, but it is almost as if season 5's intro and theme brought a sigh of relief towards the general atmosphere created during the first 4 seasons' introduction themes!

Hands off I'll admit into saying that it's no easy task to choose a favorite intro and favorite theme, since they all had their respective highlights! What are your thoughts on this matter?

<signed <font color="#325993">Galen</font color>>

My favorite opening is season 5, because when you watch it, you start to see B5 as one big connecting story. I also love where JMS put his name. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Yeah, it was kinda special where Straczynski engraved his name on the B5 station, and that as well brought forth a kind of 'conclusion' jesture!

Favorite intro and theme? Season 5, although I thought the "Straczynski" on the backside of the station was tacky.

Definitely series 5 for me. I was never a big fan of B5 until I watched series 5 on late night TV (really late night) and the introduciton sequence set up a wonderful tapestry, that this show was a culmination of events. It would then go series 3, 4, 1 and then 2.

I like season 3's music the best, but I love the phrases spoken by the cast members in season 4.

Maybe it's just late and I'm tired, but I know that the fifth season had the phrases spoken by the cast members. I don't recall that happening in the fourth season intros. Then again, it's been a while since I've been able to see it.

season 4:
(a different person spoke for each line - just going by memory so i'm not sure who spoke which line)

It was the year of fire
the year of destruction
the year we took back what was ours
it was the year of rebirth
the year of great sadness
the year of pain
and the year of joy
it was a new age
it was the end of history
it was the year everything changed
the year is 2261
the name of the place
Babylon 5

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif
yes, they were not lines taken from the show, but it's not one story spoken by one person /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Hmmm ....

Unfortunately, I will have to give two lists, because the positions of theme and credit sequence don't necessarily match.

Judging the themes solely on the basis of the music, it would have to be: 3 - 5 - 4 - 2 - 1

Credit sequences (without music) would have to be 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1.

The two together? Hard to say really given the above.

Incidentally, if you read the beginning of Dickens' "A Tale of Two Cities", you will see where JMS got the inspiration for that S4 opening narration.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I never noticed that about "A Tale of Two Cities" before but I see the similiar style in the opening ... of course I doubt I would have ever compared Charles Dickens to JMS ... JMS's works is MUCH MUCH more interesting and enjoyable. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back