• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Nehru Jackets?

bvbpl

Does anyone else think it is weird that in JMS's vision we will all be wearing Nehru jackets in 150 years? I'm rewatching B5 and there's not a proper collar in sight.

I find the B5 version of jacket lapels interesting - a buttoned down tab! (In B5, the so-called Nehru collar is seen on shirts, not jackets.) There is more variety to that concept though than there is to clothing in Star Trek, for example. The shirt/jacket combination is close to our own current styles, but cravats/neckties are no longer used in the future - a prospect which would probably appeal to many (business) men today! ;)

Actually, the logical progression of fashion throughout the ages shows both change and continuity, and B5 doesn't impress me as being unrealistic in that matter. Does anyone know just how much JMS had to say about appearance in his epic - or was there a costume designer who made those decisions?

Does anyone know just how much JMS had to say about appearance in his epic - or was there a costume designer who made those decisions?

He approved it all but I gather that it was more a process of his telling the costume people what look/feel he wanted and they'd go away to do drawings and get fabric samples, come back to him and he'd let them know what was most like his vision. Obviously, as time went on, the process was streamlined and most of what he did was approve what his people came up with.

JMS mentioned once that it was important to him that the viewer should be able to tell what race something came from, just from looking so you'll see shapes and colors repeated a lot so that even if you don't see a Minbari, you should be able to tell if something is of Minbari origin.

Jan

JMS said sometimes he would scribble something that looked like a "drunk 5-year old" drew it and give that to the costume designer if he had something specific he was going for.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back