• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dollhouse

Re: New Joss Whedon show

I forgot until now that I had wanted to post about last night's episode of Dollhouse. I thought it was really good. The plot seemed fully character driven instead of having the characters dragged along by the plot. Normally, I think most Britney-esque pop star stories don't really do much to make me care about the Britney-esque character, but I definitely felt some sympathy for the singer, even while I thought she was kind of crazy.

Sierra was cute wearing glasses. And was that Eliza actually singing during Echo's audition scene? 'Cause if so, wow!!

Eliza singing: I was wondering the same thing, it sounded allot like her though. Couple that with Joss's track record in getting his stars to sing, and sing damn well ... thinking it was her.

:)

It is funny, the first episode was blah, but the last two have been strong. You can definitely tell the network controlled that first episode, down to the inconstant fact that "Dr.Fred" and her scaring. (Fred from Angle, don't recall her characters name)

Now, lets hope it continues on.

Dr. Saunders is her character's name.

The show isn't quite clicking with me yet. I was hooked on Buffy and Firefly quite quickly but this is taking a bit longer. A lot of people over at whedonesque.com have pointed out that the main plots suck, while the stuff about the Dollhouse -- the arc stuff, so to speak -- is pretty good.

Well! Two more to sit through, and then the real stuff. Joss promises Ep. 6 will be the real kickoff.

I've liked it enough to keep watching. But, I hope for no more stupid stuff, like a dead body standing up in a closet, and falling out when the door is opened. :rolleyes:

I didn't see the second episode because I was busy with something else, and the first episode seemed a bit generic, but I quite enjoyed this third episode, so I'm definitely eager to watch more. I think one thing that makes it a little more difficult to get hooked on is that, unlike Buffy/Angel and Firefly, there's no unusual speaking patterns. The dialogue is more standard sounding than quirky like Joss's past shows, so that makes it a bit more difficult to fall for the characters as easily as would happen with Buffy/Angel and Firefly. I do like the characters though. I do so much care for Helo's character yet, but I'm liking Echo and Sierra. I loved the undertones that Echo took the actions she did, on the surface, to fulfill the mission of saving the singer, but underneath that she did it to save her friend Sierra; that through all the programming, Echo still felt an attachment of friendship with Sierra and that drove her to do what she did.

I didn't see the second episode because I was busy with something else, and the first episode seemed a bit generic, but I quite enjoyed this third episode, so I'm definitely eager to watch more. I think one thing that makes it a little more difficult to get hooked on is that, unlike Buffy/Angel and Firefly, there's no unusual speaking patterns. The dialogue is more standard sounding than quirky like Joss's past shows, so that makes it a bit more difficult to fall for the characters as easily as would happen with Buffy/Angel and Firefly. I do like the characters though. I do so much care for Helo's character yet, but I'm liking Echo and Sierra. I loved the undertones that Echo took the actions she did, on the surface, to fulfill the mission of saving the singer, but underneath that she did it to save her friend Sierra; that through all the programming, Echo still felt an attachment of friendship with Sierra and that drove her to do what she did.

I think it goes even further than that. Echo seems to be a lot more coherent that she is letting on. At the end, when she walked into the foyer, you could see a look of intelligence in her eyes, and then she loked around, and you could see here changing to the "dumb, blank" look. As she was passing Sierra, she shook her head "no", I believe telling Sierra they were being watched and to keep their little secret. At the end of the second show, she showed that she was holding onto something of the mission she was just wiped from (her date for the mission had a "Putting your shoulder to the wheel" hand gesture, and Echo did this after she was wiped clean)

Last edited:

Yeah, that "no" gesture Echo made to Sierra left me very intrigued.

Yea, I'm having a tough time deciding how far her cognizance goes, but, she did key us in on this is the Pilot, when she told the "Boss lady", "Have you ever tried to wipe a slate clean? There's always something left behind" [paraphrased]

Ive also read that Episode 6 and beyond is where things really kick in. I hope it makes it that long...cause the ratings aren't good.

I liked Episode 2 better than 1 and 3 so far. But it has been a bit harder to get into initially.

Ive also read that Episode 6 and beyond is where things really kick in. I hope it makes it that long...cause the ratings aren't good.

I liked Episode 2 better than 1 and 3 so far. But it has been a bit harder to get into initially.

Being as it's FOX, there are no guarantees, but, IMDB shows 11 episodes, so I imagine all 11 are in production, so, hopefully it should have the opportunity to make it past ep 6.

True but they could make their final decision on the series before they get to Episode 6. Sure they may air the rest, but it would suck to have it canceled before it hits its stride. However, realistically, the odds of them ADDING viewers 6-7 episode in is pretty remote.

Surprise surprise, a show on Friday nights doesn't get stellar ratings. Who would've thunk!

Surprise surprise, a show on Friday nights doesn't get stellar ratings. Who would've thunk!

You know what really irritates me? I really liked her last show Tru Calling, which was cancelled before airing the 6 episodes in the can for S2, just when the arc was really heating up. Then Ghost Whisperer comes along, which appears to be very much a rip off of Tru Calling, and it's been around for years, and just so happens to be on the same night (and time?) as Dollhouse.

You know what really irritates me? I really liked her last show Tru Calling, which was cancelled before airing the 6 episodes in the can for S2, just when the arc was really heating up. Then Ghost Whisperer comes along, which appears to be very much a rip off of Tru Calling, and it's been around for years, and just so happens to be on the same night (and time?) as Dollhouse.

But is on CBS and gets a LOT more viewers. Never underestimate the drawing power of Jennifer Love Hewitt's funbags.

But is on CBS and gets a LOT more viewers. Never underestimate the drawing power of Jennifer Love Hewitt's funbags.

LOL, I was gonna blame it on that very thing.

Seems to me though, if I was straight, I would be much more attracted to Eliza Dushku's "real body" of normal healthy proportions than to Jennifer Love Hewitt's dinky head on a stick with boobs?

It's been hit or miss so far, but not terrible or anything, well outside of the idiotic Rayna plot. But, the science fiction behind the premise of the show continues to bug me. A lot of skills are tactile, you can't just imprint someone with them. if you imprint someone with the ability to be a great singer they also need their vocal chords changed, someone isn't going to be able to do martial arts just because you imprint their brain with the ability to do it, massive changes would have to be made to their muscle structure/memory, etc.. The show appears to want to sidestep the inherent tactile nature of skills and instead opt for an, it's all in the brain approach and I find that rather shoddy writing/planning.

It's been hit or miss so far, but not terrible or anything, well outside of the idiotic Rayna plot. But, the science fiction behind the premise of the show continues to bug me. A lot of skills are tactile, you can't just imprint someone with them. if you imprint someone with the ability to be a great singer they also need their vocal chords changed, someone isn't going to be able to do martial arts just because you imprint their brain with the ability to do it, massive changes would have to be made to their muscle structure/memory, etc.. The show appears to want to sidestep the inherent tactile nature of skills and instead opt for an, it's all in the brain approach and I find that rather shoddy writing/planning.

We can hope they tell us later in the show that "actives" are screened for certain physical abilities that are later activated with the imprints as needed. This could be one of the criteria for selecting who goes on what mission. I'm not holding out too much hope, but, perhaps?

We can hope they tell us later in the show that "actives" are screened for certain physical abilities that are later activated with the imprints as needed. This could be one of the criteria for selecting who goes on what mission. I'm not holding out too much hope, but, perhaps?

It's certainly a possibility, it's still wide open where they are going and what they will do with the "tech".

Yeah, that "no" gesture Echo made to Sierra left me very intrigued.

I think it was assumed that Echo was retaining things, but this shows Sierra is too, so probably they ALL are. Unless Echo has been able to do something to Sierra to make her different.

I have only seen eps 2 and 3, but a friend just gave me ep1 on DVD. But, I had exactly the same reaction as Cell when seeing ep2. There is no way just mental programming could instantly implant such skills, as there is so much physical component, right down to the callouses needed for rock climbing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back