• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: A Day In The Strife

The Long, Twilight Struggle

• C -- Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
But, in reality, don't you think they'd have quietly shipped the embassadors away?
Yep, I'm sure they would ..... at least they would if they thought they had any hope of doing it without triggering the aforementioned riot.

If Kosh was not concerned, I'd be wondering why.

Actually, any time the station was in deadly peril, that's a fair question. In the case of the probe, Kosh probably could have handled the entire thing himself if he wanted to. In the case of, say, the Mad Bomber, Kosh probably didn't know until after the whole thing was over.

In the case of the Shadows threatening the station while Kosh II/Ulkesh was aboard... well, who knows?

I gave it a B rating the probe story was one of the better storylines in this one .The rest was just filler for the storyline .

...the probe story was one of the better storylines in this one .The rest was just filler for the storyline .

I'm confused about your comment.

You think the part about Londo asking Delenn for a favor to get Vir to be the ambassador to Minbar, which reveals Londo's seeing himself in a dark place getting darker and his subsequent desiring to keep Vir safe from that darkness, or the part of G'Kar struggling with how to best lead his people now after they've been conquered yet again by the Centauri -- whether to stay free under sanctuary on B5 and lead or to return home to Narn and allow himself to be taken into custody to try to keep various Narn families safe -- to be filler? And you think that the probe storyline was better than Londo's and G'Kar's storylines?

VL has a very good point. Londo sending Vir away really is a brilliant way to not only lead into Vir's character development, but it simply screams that he knows he's entering a very dark path.

And yet he's good enough not to want to drag Vir into it. And thus the dichotomy which is Londo.

One point that shouldn't be brushed off is: why didn't they just write in a brief comment about beginning to evacuate the station? It actually does seem to be a real no-brainer of an element on your "immediate list of things to do" list.

Common sense - the downfall of every bad story.

Like I said, the Vir/Londo stuff was the redeeming factor of this episode. It was always great when Vir was given a purpose instead of his early days of mindlessly following Londo's bidding.

Yeah, when Vir arrives on B5 in season 1, he looks like nothing more than a bumbling buffoon. It's certainly good to see his character develop.

I'm confused about your comment.

You think the part about Londo asking Delenn for a favor to get Vir to be the ambassador to Minbar, which reveals Londo's seeing himself in a dark place getting darker and his subsequent desiring to keep Vir safe from that darkness, or the part of G'Kar struggling with how to best lead his people now after they've been conquered yet again by the Centauri -- whether to stay free under sanctuary on B5 and lead or to return home to Narn and allow himself to be taken into custody to try to keep various Narn families safe -- to be filler? And you think that the probe storyline was better than Londo's and G'Kar's storylines?

Yes in all honesty .Londo asking Vir to go to Minbar was a way to get the actor out of the show.I always thought that Vir was not your average centauri to begin and he was nothing Londo even at this stage .Okay the G'kar line was grade A I will admit to being wrong about that .But for the most I liked the probe story line better.

Londo asking Vir to go to Minbar was a way to get the actor out of the show.

I think it did far more than just get Vir out of the show for a while. It set Vir up to have a position in which he could create Abrahamo Lincolni and help Narns escape from the Centauri, which really developed Vir's character. Compared to other characters, Vir is a minor character. I like that it developed him more, and that his becoming ambassador to Minbar reveals a lot about how much Londo cares for Vir despite how much he'll openly insult Vir to his face.

But hey, you like the probe plot more, so it's good then that there are parts to this episode that we both enjoy even if they're not the same parts. :D

I also love what they did with Vir and even regret not being able to "see" him complete his transformation into total hero as outlined in the Centauri Trilogy. Emperor Vir seems like a fascinating character.

I wonder what they would have done with NaToth or KoDath or whomever could have been G'Kar's assistant. Would she have stayed at G'Kar's side through everything? What about when G'Kar was Cartagia's prisoner? Or her reaction to his status as religious icon?

Na'Toth was a prisoner of the Centauri herself, remember. As for how she'd react to G'Kar being prisoner, she'd probably try and kick Cartagia's ass. :LOL:

Na'Toth was a prisoner of the Centauri herself, remember.

Ah, but would that have happened had Mary Kay Adams actually performed Na'Toth the same way that Caitlin Brown did, and jms had kept the character around the entire series?

I think G'Kar was much better off going solo, but had Na'Toth stayed. . .

I think she would have been a strong reminder of his past regrets. His warmongering, his scheming, his "reputed fascination with Earth women" -- all of it.
I do not think she would have bought into the idea of G'Kar being a spiritual leader, still tending to believe nothing, and she would have been even more angered by her people's obsession with G'Kar.
I think she would have laughed her way out of the room the same way G'Kar did in "Into the Fire," if she would have met that "Our reverance is our gift to you" Narn from "Objects in Motion."
Though I do not think she would have lasted until Season 5. Had she stayed, I think she would have faced certain death as a martyr for G'Kar's freedom.

Something interesting about G'Kar was the price on his head that the Centauri government placed. This issue was brought up when he left the station to find Garibaldi, but it never played a factor when he was on Babylon 5.
It would be kind of a comic book idea, and it was definitely good writing to leave this line of thinking out, but I could envision some Centauri bounty hunters going after G'Kar, and Na'Toth getting killed in the process.

That is just the way I saw it. JMS probably had something much better planned had Na'Toth stayed.

I've kinda always thought that if N'Toth had made it further, she would've gone with G'Kar, rather than Marcus, and probably been killed by Cartagia.

I voted average, keeping in mind that "average" for B5 is outstanding for many other shows.

I don't like the beginning, though. jms, if you must lecture us on the virtues of gun control, don't insult our intelligence by using a clown to represent the opposite side.

Really like the Stephen plot here, esp. the bar scene. The sudden acquisition of energy was very well handled, with a "What the heck was that that just went by, this is not good." kind of feel to it. Micheal's face there is nicely done, too. He has an addiction of his own, and that face speaks of recognising something all too familiar in his friend.
Oh, and
"just because you never met a bottle you didn't like!"
Ooooff, low punch! That's gotta hurt! :(

I'm watching this ep now, and I'm reminded of how much I like the part with Sheridan and Ta'Lon. It's an unlikely combination, but one that was brought about by the Streib in season 2. And since Ta'Lon is on the station with Na'Far, the Centauri-appointed Narn rep, he gets a chance to thank Sheridan again for saving his life on the Streib ship.

That's one of the great things about Ta'Lon. He starts out as a bit-part throwaway character, is brought back (unexpectedly) for a recurring role, and finally winds up as G'Kar's right-hand man and replacement.

Latest posts

Members online

Back