• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Trek XI .. after all?

(although we could drop 90% of Voyager easily).

That implies that there is 10% of Voyager that might be worth preserving - and I'm afraid I must disagree. :) Save me a couple of stills of Jeri Ryan in her catsuit and you can flush the rest, as far as I'm concerned.

Regards,

Joe

Trek physics mandates that all odd numbered "Star Trek" movies are mediocre at best.

Yes, but the same physics mandated that all even-numbered Trek films be at least decent, and often pretty darned good. This rule was shattered by Nemesis, which by all accounts (I didn't bother to see it) reached a level of suckage that rivalled Insurrection. Two consecutive suck-fests could indicate that the pattern is about to reverse itself, or even that it no longer applies. (Ensuring this would be justification enough for doing a reboot on the Trek universe all by itself. :))

Regards,

Joe

Touche.

Save me a couple of stills of Jeri Ryan in her catsuit and you can flush the rest, as far as I'm concerned.

Now, now, now, be fair. Jennifer Lien had her moments too. When they let her hair grow out at least.

Yes, but the same physics mandated that all even-numbered Trek films be at least decent, and often pretty darned good. This rule was shattered by Nemesis, which by all accounts (I didn't bother to see it) reached a level of suckage that rivalled Insurrection.

I did go to see Nemesis .. and can confirm this. They do owe us a good one, yes. (saw it twice, partically at least .. saw it in the cinema here in Vienna, and then as an in-flight movie when flying from Washington DC to San Francisco in March 2003. I think I should have sued United Airlines :confused: )

Nemesis didn't rival Insurrection in suckyness. For me, Insurrection was .. mediocre, and a big let-down after all the waiting, as it for me felt basically like an oversized episode of TNG - and a very mediocre and clicheed episode at that. But when watching it again, with no expectations at all, years later, I didn't really hate it *that* much. Nemesis just downright sucked :D

JJ Abrams involved = awesome

Berman NOT involved = awesome

Yet another prequel idea = FAILURE.

Star Trek doesn't need to be re-imagined like BSG did. Trek has an established continuity that goes covers millions of years in time. I don't want to see some new show where McCoy is a sassy southern belle, Spock is good but has the goatee, and Sulu is gay. It has worked for BSG, even though I still would never have made Starbuck a chick. It would not work for Star Trek.

One of Trek's strengths has been that it continues to build a story that begs the question "what's next?" The storyline set up by DS9 would be a fascinating one to follow. It would allow the clean, shiny prim-and-pressed image of Star Trek to get rumpled, dirtied, and smudged a bit, all while the characters are working to restore the Federation Gene Roddenberry believed in so fervently. The Cardassians have been all but beaten to a pulp. The Klingons are back on the good guys' side. Voyager has seen to it that the Borg have more important things to worry about than the Federation, and the Dominion won't be knocking on our door anytime soon. This would be a great way to get back to the heart of Star Trek -- rebuilding the Federation to its former glory, while still pushing for exploration and discovering new civilizations.

A secondary storyline involving Spock's attempt to reunite the Romulans with the Vulcans again would be interesting too. It would provide the suspense and mystery for a new Trek project.

Obviously I'm talking about an ongoing series here, and not just a movie, although it could be kicked off BY the movie...

I just cannot believe people would go to a movie to see familiar characters played by unfamiliar actors... especially when those characters have been established for well over thirty years. It'd be like putting someone else in G'Kar's makeup or Franklin's lab coat and telling me they were the same people. I just won't buy it.

I suggested the concept of a reboot and gave two examples, one of which (Batman Begins) simply took a fresh look at the original legend. I didn't say that Paramount should reimagine Trek in exactly the same way - point-for-point, character-for-character - that Universal reimagined BG.

Many years ago John Byrne "rebooted" Superman, retelling the origin story, doing one story each involving kryptonite and Bizzaro to honor the original - and then destroying both so they didn't become the cliiches they had been in the past. That was a reboot which, in my view, worked. The characters were al the same, the basic background was the same, but some changes and variations were added.

I don't want to see some new show where McCoy is a sassy southern belle, Spock is good but has the goatee, and Sulu is gay.

No one suggested anything remotely like the first two. And on the third, I have some bad news for you... :)

Regards,

Joe

No no no. reimage Kirk as a female hard nose leader, and like the male version has Male aliens at every port. (though knowing the company that brought us upn, it be female aliens too, not that there is anything wrong with that and I wouldn't complain.) and spock is attracted to the new female kirk and in por farr..... Yes I know that evil

and I SHOULD BE draged out and shot. And Roddenberry be rolling in his grave if he wasn't already.

Ok, I think we're getting a little off topic here. I am disapointed about this idea, because I don't think that its going to be that exciting. There are just so many good ideas out there! I don't think Trek needs to be "rebooted" it just needs some fresh ideas. Getting rid of B&B was a good move. Bringing in JJ Abrams is probobly a good move. This movie isn't going to star any of the previous trek crews, so insted of wasting that oportunity to make a movie about a yonger Original Series crew, why not that the oportunity to make it about something new !

LH raised a lot of good points about a post DS9 series/movie. Would that be any better then this idea? Who knows. But at least its fresh and different. I think a movie about the wars with the Romulans would be pretty cool. There has never been a Trek movie about an all out war before. As long as they kept it different enough from the Dominion War it would be something different that would be interesting to explore.

If they want to bring Star Trek up to date make Spock's grandchildren fight a race of aliens who are suicidal religious fanatics. Put a Muslim on the bridge.

I don't want to see some new show where McCoy is a sassy southern belle, Spock is good but has the goatee, and Sulu is gay.

No one suggested anything remotely like the first two. And on the third, I have some bad news for you... :)
LOL.. I had meant to type "Scotty"... serves me right for not proofreading

If they want to bring Star Trek up to date make Spock's grandchildren fight a race of aliens who are suicidal religious fanatics. Put a Muslim on the bridge.

That would require Spock having had kids .. though never denied, nothing to indicate it either really - it would have come up in Unification I'd think, when the crew of the Enterprise D was going through his files / in contact with his family.

Just doing a moive about "Young Kirk and Spock" within the context of the present "universe" just adds another layer of confused and contadictory backstory to an already hopelessly muddled continuity. The nice thing about a "reboot" (and I hasten to point out that I'm the only one I know of who has so much as suggested such a thing) is that it lets you clear away a lot of underbrush.

The Klingons can always look the same going forward. You can establish a distinct, consistent and plausible "look" and behavior for the technology of the pre-Kirk, Kirk, and TNG/DS9 periods. Zephraim Cochrane can go back to being a colonist from Alpha Centauri whose forebearers got there in sublight vessels, and we don't need the silly coincidence of the Vulcan's being the first aliens encountered by the Humans. (Or he can be a crazy drunk who built a starship for no good reason amid the radioactive ashes of a post-nuclear war planet. Because that makes so much sense. :)) The point is, they can pick one version and stick with it. :)

Oh, and they can pretty much make time-travel impossible in the new universe, which would force future writers to come up with better stories. :D

Regards,

Joe

While I would in general agree .. why still call the result of such a thing Trek? :D .. I would much prefer a new universe, with new stories and new characters, based on Trek in general direction (on the initial idea at least .. the Wagontrain to the stars) over a "reboot" to be honest :D .. nothing *that* special about the Klingons that losing them would be unbearable :D

Financial success. One thing they've proven: Trek will bring a curious initial audience, at the very least.

It is indeed a shame no one seems to take a chance on anything in sci-fi that's really original anymore. Remake, spin-off, or comic-book-into-movie: it's as if they just don't dare try anything new. :(

Just doing a moive about "Young Kirk and Spock" within the context of the present "universe" just adds another layer of confused and contadictory backstory to an already hopelessly muddled continuity. The nice thing about a "reboot" (and I hasten to point out that I'm the only one I know of who has so much as suggested such a thing) is that it lets you clear away a lot of underbrush.

The Klingons can always look the same going forward. You can establish a distinct, consistent and plausible "look" and behavior for the technology of the pre-Kirk, Kirk, and TNG/DS9 periods. Zephraim Cochrane can go back to being a colonist from Alpha Centauri whose forebearers got there in sublight vessels, and we don't need the silly coincidence of the Vulcan's being the first aliens encountered by the Humans. (Or he can be a crazy drunk who built a starship for no good reason amid the radioactive ashes of a post-nuclear war planet. Because that makes so much sense. :)) The point is, they can pick one version and stick with it. :)

Oh, and they can pretty much make time-travel impossible in the new universe, which would force future writers to come up with better stories. :D

Regards,

Joe

Well, I don't really agree with all of that, but if you throw in getting rid of holodecks, and alternate universes, I'll pretend I do! :D

I found today's Ziggy cartoon rather interesting. :)

ZiggyStarTrek.gif

Well, I don't really agree with all of that, but if you throw in getting rid of holodecks, and alternate universes, I'll pretend I do! :D

Deal! :LOL:

Joe

Can we keep the enterprise final season alternate universe two parter? That was ace. If only because evil Sato was HOT.

Latest posts

Members online

Back