View Single Post
Old March 10th 15, 01:49   #14
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

Re: EpDis: Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mororless View Post
To me the message would be that having a death wish for the "good cause" is not really the ultimate moral answer and not an excuse for a lack of compassion elsewhere.
Do you mean Ivanova's or Marcus'? I never really picked up on Ivanova having as much of a "death wish" as Marcus, or Sinclair. I'm also not sure that she lacks compassion. But, I could easily be missing something. It's been known to happen

As for Marcus' sacrifice, I'd agree that it isn't presented as a "good thing", which is sort of interesting since self-sacrifice appears to be one of the main themes of the show. Perhaps together with "cooperation", or "community". Although I suppose they could be considered different parts of the same whole. Marcus, of course, didn't sacrifice himself for "the cause", he sacrificed himself to save the person he loved. It could be argued that he considered her more useful to the cause than himself, but that's a stretch. It isn't said anywhere that a sacrifice for the cause is more "moral" than a sacrifice for love. Sebastian in Comes the Inquisitor: "No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother". Not that the Vorlons are supposed to be the ultimate authority on morality Draal in A Voice in the Wilderness I: "The third principle of sentient life is the capacity for self-sacrifice: the conscious ability to override evolution and self-preservation for a cause, a friend, a loved one". I don't know if self-sacrifice is ever presented as a pure "good thing", but it does seem to be presented as the necessary thing. This episode is a little different in that respect. Ivanova gets to live, but she'll have to live with this guilt, even if she obviously had no say in the matter, and she will have to live with the loss.

Quote:
I must admit I do tend to agree with CC that viewed with Sleeping In Light the character if not "complete" had run its course. .
I'm not sure I'd agree with that ... I mean, I don't think it applies to that character any more than any other character. It certainly would have been interesting to see her in the telepath storyline.
Lennier's Tears is offline   Reply With Quote