• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New Doctor Who!

When ever the Time Lords catch the Doctor they make him forget things. Use the same technology to plant a few false memories and you can deal eith any inconsistancies in the story you like.

Adric's demise had nothing to do with the time-line, but the doctor's explanation as to why he could not go back in time to save him does.

I only saw the tv-movie once, but doesn't the Doctor end up doing in that what he claimed so adamantly that he could not do for Adric?

I only saw the tv-movie once, but doesn't the Doctor end up doing in that what he claimed so adamantly that he could not do for Adric?

I have it on tape and saw it a few months ago. Yeah, I think he did.

Must be the Doctor didn't care for Adric all that much either... ;)

Seriously, though, I don't think continutiy plays as big a role on Doctor Who as it did in B5, as the hilarious intro Joe linked to demonstrates.

"For some reason?" I don't know about Dr. Who-boy, but Crusher was hated for many reasons, all of them justified, and he should have been shoved out an airlock somewhere around the 3rd episode of S1. I can only assume Aldric or Elritch of Adric was equally obnoxious and deserving of a slow, painful death.

Well, when you put it like that... :LOL:

Yeah, they were both prety darn bad. But Crusher more so, I think.

Adric's demise had nothing to do with the time-line, but the doctor's explanation as to why he could not go back in time to save him does.

Maybe. There was some extra technobabble someplace, which may have been in the TVM or may have been in one of the novels, which explained why it could happen when it did but couldn't happen when it didn't. Something to do with the Eye of Harmony being open, IIRC (though I may very well not RC :)).

In any case, compared to some of the other inconsistencies and discontinuities over the course of the series, that one was positively trivial.

Yeah, they were both prety darn bad. But Crusher more so, I think.

I actually liked Adric in Full Circle, the story in which he first appeared. It was only once he became a regular that he became annoying, and only once the Doctor regenerated that he became truly intolerable.

Which, to me, puts him way up on Wesley... :)

Adric only really worked with Tom Baker's Doctor as a sort of mentor/apprentice type relationship. Peter Davison, being closer in age, couldn't really pull it off in that fashion. And personal friction between the actors only amplified it. I'm not surprised they killed him off, but at least they did it with a little class.

Was there ever another companion who was killed off in Dr. Who? I heard once in college there might have been, back in the WH days. But I can't remember of one who was actually killed off.

Just curious. :)

The first Doctor had two companions who ended up dead - a girl from ancient Greece called Katarina and Sara Kingdom, who only appeared in "The Dalek Masterplan". And both of them die in that story.

And depending on the individual perspective, Peri was or was not killed in "The Trial of a Timelord".

I remembered Sara, forgot about Katrina.

So that's three, four if you count Peri.

Yeah, considering the opportunities for death and dismemberment, by and large, the Docotr does an exemplary job looking after his companions.

Being the Doctor's companion is the safest way to time travel! :cool:

I wish I could have seen more of the early Dr Who episodes. I get PBS now out of Tucson and they tended to repeat the Tom Baker episodes only. Then they briefly showed the Tom Baker and on episodes. If I hadn't seen Dr. Who when I was in college in New Mexico, I'd never have seen the first three doctors at all.

I sure wish the Tucson PBS station would show Dr. Who again. It was a fun series. :cool: And what I saw of the first Doctor's episodes, I liked a lot.

You can get most of them on VHS now. The BBC is very slowly releasing R1 DVDs as well. The "Key to Time" season is available in a boxed set.
:cool:

I'm sinking so much money into the DS9 DVD's (I can't see the episodes anywhere, like I can TNG) I shudder to think of starting to collect Dr. Who on DVD. :eek:

Now that Joe has reminded me of who he is, by mentioning Johnathan Creek, I think Alan Davies would make a fine Dr.

I actually liked Adric. The only companion I really hated was Turlow, and could never understand why the Dr. let him get away with so much nasty business.

Latest posts

Members online

Back