• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Trek (SPOILERS)

I think the event that first led people to become superstitious about the "Bermuda Triangle" was recently debunked. It started with the loss of five US bombers which I think I read were discovered a few years ago.

Last program on the Discovery Channel I saw showed that the planes were found way up north in a glacier ice cap, no where near where they had originally been. Also they didn't have enough fuel to reach it and why would somebody pull off such a elaberate hoax? Also they were strangely perserved. Almost like as if they had leeped ahead in time and crashed on a ice cap. :cool:

The Navy has made claims of doing top secret experiments during Worl War II, that went horribly wrong. Thus the men who claimed their ship phased in and out and went invisible. This is more of a fantasical explanation, yet more based in science but more mundane then the mini-black hole/ worm hole theorists . :vulcan: :)

Last program on the Discovery Channel I saw showed that the planes were found way up north in a glacier ice cap, no where near where they had originally been. Also they didn't have enough fuel to reach it and why would somebody pull off such a elaberate hoax? Also they were strangely perserved. Almost like as if they had leeped ahead in time and crashed on a ice cap. :cool:

Can't find anything about this on Google.

I didn't know that the Discovery Channel showed reruns of Lost. [/snort]

:rolleyes: Actually you would be suprised what they show these days on Discovery Channel and the History Channel. They even have episodes on UFOs. :vulcan:

Whatever it was, it was fictional. Here's the Wikipedia Article on Flight 19.

Regarding wreckage which has been found:

In 1986, the wreckage of an Avenger was found off the Florida coast during the search for the wreckage of the Space Shuttle Challenger. Aviation archaeologist Jon Myhre raised this wreck from the ocean floor in 1990. He was convinced it was one of the missing planes, but positive identification could not be made. In 1991, the wreckage of five Avengers was discovered off the coast of Florida, but engine serial numbers revealed they were not Flight 19. They had crashed on five different days "all within a mile and a half [~2.4 km] of each other." Records showed training accidents between 1942 and 1946 accounted for the loss of 94 aviation personnel from NAS Fort Lauderdale (including Flight 19.)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_19#cite_note-NASFtLaudhist-7 In 1992, another expedition located scattered debris on the ocean floor, but nothing could be identified. In the last decade, searchers have been expanding their area to include farther east, into the Atlantic Ocean. It has been determined through Navy records that the various discovered aircraft, including the group of five, were declared either unfit for maintenance/repair or obsolete, and simply disposed of at sea.

Didn't Urban rock as McCoy? I am a theater actor and I love also to do impersonations, but his was just so bloody 'spot on' it's absolutely rediculous.

Didn't Urban rock as McCoy? I am a theater actor and I love also to do impersonations, but his was just so bloody 'spot on' it's absolutely rediculous.

He did a good impression, yes, but he (or rather, the script) didn't bring any charm or humor to the character. I hope they rectify that in the sequels, as it's a really crucial element in the whole Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship.

I can tell a lot from little things and actually thought he was excellent right from the preview, just by the one line I was impressed how subtly he mimicked Mccoy. Just like I knew Sylar was going to overplay Spock from the first couple frames of the first second I saw him...

Saw it yesterday - as someone that isn't a Trek fan / regular viewer, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The plot was ... well, not the strongest part of the film, I suppose, but there was plenty to keep me interested and curious as to what was going to happen next.

The acting was definitely good. I can't think of anyone among the main cast whom I didn't like.

He did a good impression, yes, but he (or rather, the script) didn't bring any charm or humor to the character. I hope they rectify that in the sequels, as it's a really crucial element in the whole Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship.

I don't know if I'd call Urban's acting an impression, it certainly captured McCoy, which it needed to. Unlike stage acting, audiences with TV and Film DO have expectations as to how a character should sound, walk, look, etc. Stage acting, eg any work of Shakespeare, has just names on a page with dialog - it's up to the actor, within certian confines, to bring that character to lfie in his or her own unique way. So I think Urban did perhaps the best job out of all of the new cast, with Zach second as spock. Pine was okay as kirk. Everyone else wasn't too bad, the only person I had a serious problem with was Scotty. Partly his acting was just way too goofy, and partly the script just wrote him way too goofy.

McCoy did kind of drop out in the second half of the film though, which was pretty dissapointing.

I don't know if I'd call Urban's acting an impression, it certainly captured McCoy, which it needed to. Unlike stage acting, audiences with TV and Film DO have expectations as to how a character should sound, walk, look, etc. Stage acting, eg any work of Shakespeare, has just names on a page with dialog - it's up to the actor, within certian confines, to bring that character to lfie in his or her own unique way. So I think Urban did perhaps the best job out of all of the new cast, with Zach second as spock.

I agree with everything you said in this part of your paragraph. :vulcan: :)

Last edited:
I hate to say this, being a die-hard Trekkie, but...

... I freaking loved this movie. Any nitpicks I have (and I have a few, a lot of which you all have mentioned) fall apart in the face of the sheer roiling awesome.

I can't believe this is a Channe review. I'm usually pickier!

I hate to say this, being a die-hard Trekkie, but...

... I freaking loved this movie. Any nitpicks I have (and I have a few, a lot of which you all have mentioned) fall apart in the face of the sheer roiling awesome.

I can't believe this is a Channe review. I'm usually pickier!

WOW, YOU KNOW THAT IS SOOOOOOOO LIKE HOW I FEEL. EVEN IF I TOO HAVE NITPICKS, IT JUST SO AWESOME OF A MOVIE I'M VERY PLEASED WITH THE RESULT ANY WAY. WELL MET. :)

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER.

It's definitely a fun movie. Is it as smart as the critics say? No. Are the effects as groundbreaking as the critics say? I didn't think so. Does it resemble STAR TREK? Vaguely.

It's a difficult thing because Star Trek, perhaps more than any other franchise in movie history, has suffered with its brand identity. First, the vitality and youth of the series was lost in the transition to film and the actors seemed to age faster with each subsequent outing. Then there was the constant shuffle of musical composers who each gave Star Trek their own main title theme, so unlike James Bond or Harry Potter, Star Trek has had three of four main title themes, none of which included Alexander Courage's original theme (understandable, because Courage's theme is a bit of a goof and only seems to be usable when played slowly near the end of a film). The new film adds another, somewhat heavy handed, theme to the list.

I knew this film was going to be hugely popular - it is now the top grossing domestic film of 2009 and ranked 4th internationally - but I also knew early on that my dream of seeing a literal reboot of Star Trek for the 21st century was not going to happen. So I enjoyed the film on its own merits but dislike its rather gratuitous use of change for change's sake.

Paramount had given the green light to the sequel before this one was even released and the head of Paramount has stated that Star Trek is a crucial part of their ongoing business model, so this Trek isn't going anywhere. I just hope we can get a more coherent story out of the guys this time. A little less flash and more substance.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back