• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

So what ever happened to the following characters:

Elipsis

Regular
While I enjoy B5s continuity, there were a few dropped threads that bothered me a bit, particularly the first on the list as it would have been a major plot point during Season 3.

Did JMS ever mention what happened to these characters?

1. General Richard Franklin - GROPOS

2. Lianna - Survivors

3. Brother Theo (I believe there was a thread about this.)

It would be interesting to know what Franklin's father did during the Earth civil war.

I was really hoping for something intense whereby Sheridan has to destroy Franklin's father's ship, causing great drama and tension between the two... certainly he was characterized as the kind of guy who would have been on the side of Clark's forces, though perhaps tentatively.

Instead, nil.

Altho Mr Morden's story line was wrapped up smoothly, i really enjoyed when he showed up in Lennier's room in Day of the Dead and asked him if he had any coffee, twice. I wonder if he ever got a cup. That would make for an eternity alright.

N'Grath could hav been important thru the series, especially after the station's secession.

And we never hear from the Abbai after they withdraw from the Council (or League itself) in Deathwalker.

Maybe General Franklin had retired by the time of the Civil War. Or he could possibly have been promoted to a desk job. :LOL:

I was really hoping for something intense whereby Sheridan has to destroy Franklin's father's ship, causing great drama and tension between the two... certainly he was characterized as the kind of guy who would have been on the side of Clark's forces, though perhaps tentatively.

Instead, nil.

The trouble with that is that Franklin came across more as a ground force general than a fleet commander. I get the impression he came up through the ranks of the GROPOS.

He would have been an ideal choice for planning the GROPOS strategic invasion of B5 though... because he was familiar with the facility.

I'm surprised they only sent one breaching pod... unless of course there were more but they were intercepted by B5's defences.

The other ideal time to encounter him would have been during the liberation of Proxima III... which was under siege/blockade and was probably a few days away from invasion/surrender

Yes, I think Franklin Sr came up through the GROPOS ranks as well. But there again B5's flaw of mixing up army, navy and air force ranks at a whim really gets confusing. It would have made more sense if Ivanova had been promoted to Admiral rather than General by Sleeping in Light.

Maneth, as you point out the flexibility of EarthForce ranks, it reminds me of the flexibility in ship classes.

Hyperion Cruiser was not so big. But Narn Heavy Cruiser, then Minbari War Cruiser and u are getting much bigger.

During the Shadow War, Sheridan demanded that each League world send along a "destroyer class" ship. The various League destroyers that arrive are all much smaller than the Omega Destroyer. Smaller than even Hyperions.

Nova Dreadnought was like a spachula in comparison to the Vorlon Dreadnought.

How does one spell Spachula anyway? I mean the utensil used for flipping things in a pan.

I've also wondered what happened to Sheridan's sister from "Revelations".Didn't Clark arrest her during the Civil War?

The fate of Garibaldi's aide who shot him in the back is also interesting.My guess is that Clark had him killed in order to erase any evidence of his involvement in the assassination of Santiago.

Too bad that the mafia boss N'Grath disappeared after the first season.He was cool;).

My guess about Brother Theo is that he was a character, included in the show in order to have more colour and variety.He doesn't participate in the main story arc so at some piont JMS decided that it would be better for him to disappear.

Last edited:
2. Lianna - Survivors

I thought it was obvious what happened to Lianna. When Earth Force 1 was blown up at the end of season one, I always figured she went with it. I always felt the ending scene of Survivors when Garibaldi and Lianna said their goodbyes foreshadowed this.

Except that her security team was sent ahead of Earth Force 1 to make sure the facility Santiago was visiting was clear of danger. I don't think her job entailed her being a round the President as much as going ahead of a presidential visit and coordinating with security teams at places the president was due to visit.

That said, she would have had a ringside seat of Earthforce 1 going kaboom!

I always had a bit of a suspicion that Lianna uncovered evidence of the attack, much as Garibaldi did... and was silenced, one way or another. Pity, she was cute when she had her hair down.

As to EarthForce ranks -- did we ever hear about any admirals? Hague was one of the Joint Chiefs, with his own Omega, and he was a general. So was the guy Sheridan talked to in "Point of No Return." I think maybe EarthForce was more an outgrowth of air forces than navies (makes sense, since the US Air Force has responsibility for a lot of space stuff), and those use generals. But then, the EA ranks never made any sense.

They referred to a few different characters that were the rank of Admiral on a few occasions. I do believe there was at least one instance where a minor guest character was an Admiral.

It was mentioned in a later season (Season 5 I think) that Na'Grath was "off'd" by another crime lord, or something to that effect. So we can assume we stopped seeing him because he was dead.

Lianna everyone assumed survived Santiago's assassination (since she never traveled WITH him...rather ahead of him)....but would be interesting seeing where she ended up in the Civil War too.

On two occasions the rank of Admiral was mentioned, one was when Colonel Ari ben Zayn said that the smart money would be on Sinclair making Admiral and the second was when Garibaldi said that Sinclair was way low on the list and it was assumed that some Ambassador, Beaurocrat or Admiral would be in command.

I can't recall an instance when an admiral was shown. The only instance that an Admiral could have been shown was when Sheridan was speaking with an Extremely high ranking officer in regards to the Night Watch and the officer told Sheridan to "Follow the Chain of command".

james

That officer was also a general, at least according to the credits.

But like I said, EarthForce ranks were very confusing, and B5's command structure bears no resemblance to any parallel in present-day militaries. JMS was no military expert.

I'll dig out some of my B5 factfile books at some point and swot up.

I think I read somewhere that it follows the basic NATO command structure with a few international quirks. In the British military, Majors outrank Captains.

For example in the Napoleonic book/Tv drama series Sharpe, the main character rises from Captain to Major (and later ColoneI as well believe).

I'll dig out some of my B5 factfile books at some point and swot up.

I think I read somewhere that it follows the basic NATO command structure with a few international quirks. In the British military, Majors outrank Captains.

For example in the Napoleonic book/Tv drama series Sharpe, the main character rises from Captain to Major (and later ColoneI as well believe).

that happens everywhere anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back